Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Dominant duo: Vikings have one of the NFL's best 1-2 punches on defense

Posted on Fri, Oct. 13, 2006

[size=13pt]Dominant duo[/size]

The Vikings have one of the NFL's best 1-2 punches on defense in Pat and Kevin Williams.

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

As a member of the Vikings' defense, Darrion Scott admittedly is a bit biased, but the third-year defensive end thinks he plays with the best pair of tackles in the NFL.

"Kevin Williams is playing lights-out," Scott said. "It seems like he's back to his old form. And Pat Williams, he's Pat Williams. He has one of the best get-offs in the NFL and is one of the strongest guys that I've seen play the nose-guard position. That's definitely the best inside tandem, I would say, in the league."

Scott might get an argument from Marcus Stroud and John Henderson fans in Jacksonville, but that's about it.

There are a lot of fine tackles around the NFL, but the Vikings are convinced that no team has a more dynamic duo.

"I think without a doubt," Kevin Williams said. "You look across the league, a lot of guys have one or the other. Here we have both guys: a good nose tackle and an under tackle. I don't know too many other teams that have two guys that can do it as well."

The Vikings' 1-2 punch was at the top of its game in Sunday's 26-17 win over Detroit, when Pat Williams sparked a fourth-quarter comeback by sacking the Lions' Jon Kitna and causing a fumble that linebacker Ben Leber recovered for a touchdown.

Throw in a strong game from Kevin Williams, and the tackles played a big role in a win that gave the Vikings a 3-2 record.

"I think anytime you get the penetration we had with our inside two guys, you obviously squeeze the pocket, (and) it makes life tough," coach Brad Childress said. "Not only do you need speed rushers off the edge, you need somebody to push the pocket. I think they did a nice job on the inside of doing that."

The sack was Pat Williams' first this season, but Scott said teams are mistaken if they think of him as just a run-stuffer.

"He can pass rush if he wants to," Scott said. "I think he just takes so much pride in wanting to stop the run, pass rushing is almost like his second priority."

It's been an eventful season already for Pat Williams, who spent the first week of training camp on the physically unable to perform list after reporting overweight. Some questioned whether he fit into the Vikings' new Tampa 2 defense. But Pat Williams said he never had those questions.

"I never care what fans or the media think," he said. "That's why they're on the outside looking in. Basically, we're going out there and having fun right now. I'm playing off of Kevin, and he's playing off me. I know what he's going to do, and he knows what I'm going to do. That's how you've got to play the game."

Kevin Williams, who had just four sacks in 2005 following offseason knee surgery, is back to his all-pro form of 2004.

He, too, is playing lighter this season, and his right knee is healthy. Still, he doesn't buy the comeback angle.

"I never went anywhere," he said. "You just see plays coming to me. I made plays last year, too. I guess I wasn't as flashy as everyone wanted me to be. It's just an attitude change about stuff. I don't have to worry about all the negative stuff that was going on. Just playing ball and winning games, that's the biggest part."

Whatever the reason, Kevin Williams is again playing like the inside force who racked up 22 sacks in his first two seasons.

"He's all over the field," Pat Williams said. "I just love watching him play. He's everywhere."

Kevin Williams said it's nice to have someone like Pat around to keep the double-teams off his back.

"Teams have got to pick their poison," he said. "Either you're going to double down on me and let him run free. Maybe you can double both of us, but then our ends can run around and make plays. It's just a great luxury to have a veteran guy like Pat over there."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected] THE WILLIAMSES

Defensive tackles Kevin and Pat Williams have been a formidable 1-2 punch for the Vikings this season as the inside anchors of their new Tampa 2 defense. Their statistics through five games:

Player..............T.......S....TFL..QBH
    Kevin Williams...32....3*....6*...16*
    Pat Williams......22.....1.....2......4

* Leads team; T: tackles; S: sacks; TFL: tackles for loss. QBH: quarterback hurries

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Dominant duo: Vikings have one of the NFL's best 1-2 punches on defense

good read.
    I hope they can keep it up all season long.
    the thing i loved about the lions game was the whole 12 rushing yards they let up.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

that's right.. the williamses are awesome. finally good to hear that some of our brightest players are defensive bohemeths.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

fabybaby32 is offline Rookie

That was a good article.
    I think all of us already knew how good these guys were though.
    It all starts up front on defense and we have a huge advantage. Im still pissed that Pat Williams didnt make the pro bowl last year.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Can't argue that article at all.. That is the straight up truth right there.. If you double one, the other will get you, if you double both, our ends will get you.. Either way they are playing team football, and we couldn't be happier as fans..

Hoorah!!!!!

PurplePumpkin is offline Pro-Bowler

Great read! Dominant Defence is finally back in Minny ;D ;D

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Right on!

Those 2 are exciting to watch.. Pat doesn't let ANYTHING by.. Kevin is very solid too.. But also gets his sacks

Hopefully Pat will play for a few more years with the Vikes

One Love

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

It's nice to see Kevin Williams return to his old form, I was a little worried at the end of the 05/06 season.

In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

It's about time that our guys get some love from the press...even if it is the local guys!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Kevin Williams is playing lights-out," Scott said. "It seems like he's back to his old form. And Pat Williams, he's Pat Williams. He has one of the best get-offs in the NFL and is one of the strongest guys that I've seen play the nose-guard position. That's definitely the best inside tandem, I would say, in the league."
    Man Phat Pat has played awesome this season.
    I just keep thinking about the closeline that the anouncers said, that looks like something from The Longest Yard. Also thinking of the tackle of Kitna.
    I couldn't get either of those out of my mind the during the whole article.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast