singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Dome will be discreet with Vikings replays

[size=18px]Dome will be discreet with Vikings replays[/size]

The Vikings' landlord has offered to help rectify the team's complaints about the timing of replays on the Metrodome's video boards.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: December 20, 2005 at 8:59 PM

The Vikings' landlord has offered to help rectify the team's complaints about the timing of replays on the Metrodome's video boards.

Coach Mike Tice said Monday he has been working for years to convince Dome employees not to show replays that could help opposing coaches decide whether to challenge a call. Bill Lester, executive director of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, said he wasn't aware of Tice's requests until Tuesday.

"The Vikings control the event," Lester said. "So, if something has to be changed about what's shown or not shown, our people would welcome the direction."

A crew of 13 employees works in a cramped room on gamedays, operating advertisements, video boards and sound levels. There isn't room for a Vikings employee to sit in the room, but Lester suggested wiring a headset that would enable someone from the team to speak directly with the video board operator.

"We're always willing to work with the team," Lester said.

The NFL discourages teams from blatantly manipulating scoreboard replays, but -- coincidence or otherwise -- many stadiums seem to show replays inconsistently. During Sunday's 18-3 loss to Pittsburgh, Steelers coach Bill Cowher watched the replay of a third-quarter catch by Cedrick Wilson before deciding to challenge the spot. Cowher won the challenge and Pittsburgh was awarded a first down.

Injury report

Tice said center Melvin Fowler's sprained left ankle showed improvement Tuesday, and the Vikings believe Fowler will be ready to play Sunday night at Baltimore. However, Right tackle Marcus Johnson is making slow progress with his sprained right ankle and is less likely to play.

Tice said whoever practices today will start Sunday. Cory Withrow would replace Fowler, and Mike Rosenthal would start for Johnson, if necessary.

Tight end Jermaine Wiggins (sprained left ankle) is expected to play, Tice said.

Etc.

• The Vikings plan to promote practice squad wide receiver Chris Jones to fill the roster spot vacated by punter Darren Bennett. They have workouts scheduled for this morning in order to sign a linebacker to the practice squad.

• Koren Robinson could set a team record for kickoff return average in a season. Robinson is averaging 26.6 yards on 43 returns, good for first in the NFC and third overall in the NFL. The Vikings team record is 26.3 yards, set by John Gilliam in 1972 on 14 punts. Robinson has seven returns of at least 40 yards, including an 86-yard touchdown.

• The Vikings held their second annual "Vikings and Friends Holiday Party" at Winter Park, providing 300 needy families with a meal, interactive games and autographs from players and coaches. Owner Zygi Wilf was on hand, and Fowler (drums), Robinson (vocals) and safeties Corey Chavous and Darren Sharper (cowbells) provided musical entertainment.

• The Vikings' loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday had a 40.7 rating and 75 share on WCCO (Ch. 4), making it the team's highest-rated game of the season in the Twin Cities. The Week 11 victory over Green Bay delivered a 39.2 rating for KSTP (Ch. 5) on "Monday Night Football." Each ratings point equals approximately 16,655 households in the Twin Cities.

Staff writer Judd Zulgad contributed to this report.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

Re: Dome will be discreet with Vikings replays

The Vikings plan to promote practice squad wide receiver Chris Jones to fill the roster spot vacated by punter Darren Bennett. They have workouts scheduled for this morning in order to sign a linebacker to the practice squad.
    can anyone tell me why they promoted another WR?! We already dont use all the ones we have on our team.

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

KRob can SING???
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    KRob can SING???
    I was thinking Marcus....I think I remember seeing somewhere that he had a good voice. but I could be totally off on that :smile:

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

i think we're missing the point on this article...
    why were there two cowbells?

seriously, why another WR.. why not another O-lineman, or LB....
    <sighs> sometimes i just dont get team decisions
    i m better than you, so just give up...

zimtwister is offline Coach

cowbell-now thats funny A FREEKIN 75 SHARE!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE THAT ANTI STADIUM BUNGLE NUTS!
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."