Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    http://www.startribune.com/sports/46847937.html

    [size=12pt]Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave[/size]
    With the Twins and Gophers leaving, Dome officials say the facility will lose around $2 million each year.

    By AIMÉE BLANCHETTE, Star Tribune
    Last update: June 4, 2009 - 8:21 AM
    The people who run the Dome are looking to keep it viable -- mostly by cutting expenses.

    "We're OK with a combination of reductions and the revenues we have from other events ... as long as the Vikings are still there," said Bill Lester, executive director of the commission.

    But without professional football in the Dome, all the tractor pulls in the world wouldn't make up the cash flow difference, Lester said.

    "Nothing pays the freight like the Vikings," he said. "You take that out and the Dome's no longer viable."
    And this:
    The commission also discussed what will happen when the Vikings' lease expires after the 2011 season. The commission and the Vikings are pushing for a new stadium on the Dome site.

    "The Vikings aren't going to extend their use agreement in the existing facility. A reconstructed facility at the Metrodome site, they would [lease]," Lester said. "That's the overall objective."
    Discuss.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    sigh
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,533

    Re: Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    I'm surprised it's only $2M.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  4. #4
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    Since a new Vikings facility would carry the same type of venues as the metrodome (at best) I don't see how a new stadium is going to help anything as far as MSFC should be concerned about.
    It's not like the Twins and Gophers are going to be playing there.

  5. #5
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Since a new Vikings facility would carry the same type of venues as the metrodome (at best) I don't see how a new stadium is going to help anything as far as MSFC should be concerned about.
    It's not like the Twins and Gophers are going to be playing there.
    I can see a couple things.
    If the MSFC continues to own the new stadium and the Vikings lease it from them, they would reap the benefits of the expanded revenue from suites, club seats, etc. that a new stadium would bring.
    I would also assume (in that case) that a new stadium would be "cheaper" to operate, using modern innovations and more efficient solutions for things like air quality, lighting, etc.

    If the Vikings own it, then the MSFC is free from the burden of having to pay to keep the damn thing going all year round.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #6
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    I also think that the new stadium could be more efficient than the aging dome, so operating costs will likely be down, even if just slightly.
    Add to that the fact that the Vikings will realize more profit, and the MFSC could easily charge more for the Vikings to lease it without financially killing the team.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #7
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Since a new Vikings facility would carry the same type of venues as the metrodome (at best) I don't see how a new stadium is going to help anything as far as MSFC should be concerned about.
    It's not like the Twins and Gophers are going to be playing there.
    I can see a couple things.
    If the MSFC continues to own the new stadium and the Vikings lease it from them, they would reap the benefits of the expanded revenue from suites, club seats, etc. that a new stadium would bring.
    I would also assume (in that case) that a new stadium would be "cheaper" to operate, using modern innovations and more efficient solutions for things like air quality, lighting, etc.

    If the Vikings own it, then the MSFC is free from the burden of having to pay to keep the damn thing going all year round.

    =Z=
    I thought most of the revenue from suites and such went into the NFL revenue sharing program....I guess I'm still not exactly clear on where the money goes and who gets what.

  8. #8
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Since a new Vikings facility would carry the same type of venues as the metrodome (at best) I don't see how a new stadium is going to help anything as far as MSFC should be concerned about.
    It's not like the Twins and Gophers are going to be playing there.
    I can see a couple things.
    If the MSFC continues to own the new stadium and the Vikings lease it from them, they would reap the benefits of the expanded revenue from suites, club seats, etc. that a new stadium would bring.
    I would also assume (in that case) that a new stadium would be "cheaper" to operate, using modern innovations and more efficient solutions for things like air quality, lighting, etc.

    If the Vikings own it, then the MSFC is free from the burden of having to pay to keep the gol 'darnit thing going all year round.

    =Z=
    I thought most of the revenue from suites and such went into the NFL revenue sharing program....I guess I'm still not exactly clear on where the money goes and who gets what.
    Nope, suites and luxuray seats are 100% free of revenue sharing.
    Only standard seats go into the revenue sharing pot.
    That is why the Vikings want more of them.
    The NFL also dictates that a certain number of standard seats be available in every stadium, to prevent someone from building a stadium of nothing but suites.

    FYI, suites and luxury seats do not count toward blackouts either.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #9
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Since a new Vikings facility would carry the same type of venues as the metrodome (at best) I don't see how a new stadium is going to help anything as far as MSFC should be concerned about.
    It's not like the Twins and Gophers are going to be playing there.
    I can see a couple things.
    If the MSFC continues to own the new stadium and the Vikings lease it from them, they would reap the benefits of the expanded revenue from suites, club seats, etc. that a new stadium would bring.
    I would also assume (in that case) that a new stadium would be "cheaper" to operate, using modern innovations and more efficient solutions for things like air quality, lighting, etc.

    If the Vikings own it, then the MSFC is free from the burden of having to pay to keep the gol 'darnit thing going all year round.

    =Z=
    I thought most of the revenue from suites and such went into the NFL revenue sharing program....I guess I'm still not exactly clear on where the money goes and who gets what.
    Nope, suites and luxuray seats are 100% free of revenue sharing.
    Only standard seats go into the revenue sharing pot.
    That is why the Vikings want more of them.
    The NFL also dictates that a certain number of standard seats be available in every stadium, to prevent someone from building a stadium of nothing but suites.

    FYI, suites and luxury seats do not count toward blackouts either.
    That makes sense...I think I knew that at one point in time.
    For everything learned is another forgotten.
    +1, -1
    Ying/Yang.

    ;D

  10. #10
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dome expects to lose $2M a year when Twins, U leave

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Since a new Vikings facility would carry the same type of venues as the metrodome (at best) I don't see how a new stadium is going to help anything as far as MSFC should be concerned about.
    It's not like the Twins and Gophers are going to be playing there.
    Simple formula.

    1) take a team that can't generate enough revenue in a building with no mortgage to keep it solvent
    2) Add a billion dollar mortgage
    3) Take the only additional revenue source for the new building(Luxury suites) and stick that money in the owners pocket where it won't be contributing to paying down the principal of the building.

    4) here is your WTF moment.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who gets Dome: Vikings or Twins?
    By magicci in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-22-2006, 05:34 AM
  2. Eagles lose WR for year
    By kamikrazy_man in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 08:13 AM
  3. Twins lose on 1st pitch of 9th
    By audioghost in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 05:36 PM
  4. Rams in the dome next year
    By vikingsalltheway in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 10:14 PM
  5. We wont lose this year
    By vikingsalltheway in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 10:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •