Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dome

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Dome

[size=13pt]CONSTRUCTION DELAYED ON L.A. STADIUM[/size]

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 9, 2008, 5:07 p.m. EST

If a new stadium for an NFL team is going to be built in the Los Angeles area, it’s not going to happen until at least 2012.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Good new for us?
    We're bringing purple back.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    If I was thinking about going to a game in Dec and buying a single ticket, I would probably not buy it.
    It is the season ticket holders that matter hear, which I think you are if I remember right.
    When you buy those tickets, you have to sitting there hoping that the weather isn't cold.
    Just think about all those Cincy fans and the freak'n lake front/canadian wind chill they get there every year.
    I have a friend that has season tixs there and the cold weather doesn't stop him, it have been 9 or 10 years now, still holds those tix.

Anyway that is my 2 cents worth.
    I would of course still have season tickets.
    However, instead of 4 I would continue to only have 2.
    That is a 50% reduction in tickets sales for me personally.
    I am speculating here, but I would be willing to bet that I am not the only multiple ticket holder who would cut back.

But for the record, I agree that the ticket holders opinions should play a major part in it.
    That is one of the reason that the Vikings have aggressively surveyed ticket holders in the past few years.
    From everything I have heard, the ticket holders overwhelmingly have stated their preference for a retractable roof.
    Shouldn't that in itself settle part of this debate?
    I would take the other 2 so that is a wash.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

When the construction of that stadium begins someone here needs to sacrifice their life just like a terrorist and blow up that damn thing.... You first and ill follow

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Let's see...

The franchise fee for the Texans was $700 million.
    Word is the NFL will want $1 billion for an LA franchise expansion.

If the NFL won't make a promise, I'm sure Wilf would.

Wilf bought the Vikes for $600 million.

Wilf could sell the Vikes to Ed Roski for $900 million and make one hell of a profit.

Roski would get a well established team and will not have to build a team from scratch, plus save $100's of millions.

MN will lose an NFL team because they won't make a commitment
    NFL will lose big franchise fees because they won't commit.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Jackal_8728 is offline Waterboy

I think with all of these domes and retractable roofs I think people are starting to lose the true essence of what is Football. Yeah below freezing weather and stuff like that effect people's decision to go to the games but Football is football. A "tradition" of playing AND watching football outside in cold temperatures has been around for years. I have sat in freezing temperatures to watch a football game the way it is meant to be seen. I'm certain people have done it in the past but they go why? Because they love the tradition of snow on the field and players throwing their bodies not only for us but because they love it too. Maybe we have become pansies in a way but to the point of not going to watch our teams? That's just ridiculous. Look at some other fans for other teams The Bronco Fans sit a mile high where it can get cold and I mean cold. They have sold out many games in freezing temperatures just to watch not only their favorite team
    but to watch the sport they all love. Don't get me started on the Packers fan base too. So maybe we should suck it up,shut up and scream as loud as we can for every touchdown we make for turnover we cause because we are fans and true fans go see their team no matter what and the players play for that reason.... Football is meant to be played outside!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

That's perfect, the Vikes lease runs out in 2011.
    Just in time

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"Jackal_8728" wrote:
    I think with all of these domes and retractable roofs I think people are starting to lose the true essence of what is Football. Yeah below freezing weather and stuff like that effect people's decision to go to the games but Football is football. A "tradition" of playing AND watching football outside in cold temperatures has been around for years. I have sat in freezing temperatures to watch a football game the way it is meant to be seen. I'm certain people have done it in the past but they go why? Because they love the tradition of snow on the field and players throwing their bodies not only for us but because they love it too. Maybe we have become pansies in a way but to the point of not going to watch our teams? That's just ridiculous. Look at some other fans for other teams The Bronco Fans sit a mile high where it can get cold and I mean cold. They have sold out many games in freezing temperatures just to watch not only their favorite team
    but to watch the sport they all love. Don't get me started on the Packers fan base too. So maybe we should suck it up,shut up and scream as loud as we can for every touchdown we make for turnover we cause because we are fans and true fans go see their team no matter what and the players play for that reason.... Football is meant to be played outside!
    But what you are forgetting is that a stadium is no longer just for football or baseball etc... it is used for concerts, conventions etc.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Jackal_8728" wrote:
    +1

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Jackal_8728" wrote:
    Just because football started outside doesn't mean that it was meant to be played outside.
    Hockey started outside too.
    How many outdoor professional hockey arenas do you know of?
    People have watched football outdoors in the past because there was no alternative.
    These days there are alternatives.
    These alternatives make it more comfortable for the fan, and safer for the player. Football isn't meant to be played outside, it is simply meant to be played - the venue is secondary to the game itself.

I also tend to laugh when proponents of outdoor football like to question the toughness of anyone who would rather see a retractable roof or domed stadium.
    It isn't about toughness.
    I don't know you, nor do you know me, but in my lifetime I feel that I have done more than enough to qualify myself as not being a "pansie".

However, if given the choice between watching football indoors and outdoors when it is <10 degrees, why would you choose outdoors?

When you are watching on TV, do you watch it from your front porch?
    Or do you watch it from the couch in your family room?

At this point in my life, I enjoy my creature comforts.
    For instance, I drive a car with GPS, power everything, astrostart, and heated seats.
    I have a HD television, with DVR.
    And I like to have a roof over my head when it is pouring rain or less than 10 degrees.
    Sure, I can do without these things.
    But given the choice between having them and not, I choose to have them.

I did have to laugh at this comment though:
    So maybe we should suck it up,shut up and scream as loud as we can for every touchdown we make for turnover we cause because we are fans and true fans go see their team no matter what and the players play for that reason...
    Despite the fact that you tried to play the "true fan" card
    :, I agree that the venue should not be as important as the game.
    Indoor or Outdoor.
    Since it most likely will be indoor, maybe the advice to "suck it up,shut up and scream as loud as we can" applies to the outdoor only proponents as well.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast