Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

Re: Does Leftwich Interest Anyone?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Lets look at this from another standpoint.

Assumption is that all TJ needs is time to develop.
    Assumption is that the coaching staff as well as owner are cool with developing said starter.
    Assumption is that the backup would only come in if TJ went down.
    Fact is that we have someone on the bench with the same qualities/makeup as TJ.
    Fact is that the coaching staff as well as the owner are cool with developing a young QB
    Fact is that if TJ goes down Pigpen could come in and get said experience.

Honestly, what is really the big difference here?

TJ has two more starts in regular season than Pigpen.
    TJ has had more reps with the number ones.
    TJ has had possibly more one on one coaching than Pigpen.

Really, in my eyes its a wash, if TJ goes down, Pigpen comes in.
    Hell with giving up draft picks for a washed up has been or never was.

:

But hey, thats just me.
    maddro i'm not following.
    a vet qb is to learn from and someone who can come in and keep your head above water until your starter comes back from an injury and what not.
    i dont think the idea is to get thigpen in there for experience if something happens to tjack.
    the objective is to win, and trying to bring thigpen along that quickly will probably end in us being bad.

as for leftwich i wouldn't mind, but i dont think hes the right fit.
    he's gonna feel like he wants to start and i'll tell you right now, he won't have a chance here cuz tjack is the guy.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Anything is better than Bollinger

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Fact is we have no contingency plan at QB. Yesterday reminded me of last year in every single way, which is not a good thing. A backup QB is not going to solve that, but I think Holcomb would be the best option.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tb04512" wrote:
    i cant tell if you are serious or you are joking marrdro
    Not joking, just looking at it from anohter perspective.

Think about it, everyone is clamoring how we need a vet to teach TJ the game, when in fact, that is just a bunch of crap.

He seems to be coming along nicely without a quality vet.
    Wonder why that is.........
    :
    I know,
    , because he has a QB coach teaching him.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"V" wrote:
    Fact is we have no contingency plan at QB. Yesterday reminded me of last year in every single way, which is not a good thing. A backup QB is not going to solve that, but I think Holcomb would be the best option.
    Wouldn't having a solid, experienced #2 QB you can hand the ball to in case of an injury, or if your #1 lays an egg be defined as "having a contingency plan?"
    That's actually what I was trying to get into here when I started this thread.
    So, are we as comfortable as Childress appears that Bollinger is actually a solid #2.
    It's pretty clear that the ship has sailed re: TJack being the starter (as it should be), my point was really trying to get a feel from y'all if you agree that BB an acceptable #2.
    I don't think Leftwich is the answer, but, I damn sure don't think Bollinger is this year, or ever, for that matter.
    I'm sure he's a great guy, pleasant to be around, all that, but, it has become abundantly clear to me that (and this is where I agree with Marrdro's post), there really is no difference between the "top 3" QB's on the depth chart.
    I think TJack has absolutely shown more promise and is potentially a good starting QB.

Henson should be cut.
    Thigpen should go to the practice squad.
    And the Vikes should beg, borrow, or steal for another QB with better/more experience than Bollinger and let them fight it out for 2.
    If TJack goes down and Bollinger leads this team with Thigpen as a #3, you are staring the #1 draft choice right in the face.
    You could certainly make a valid argument that it's too late for that...then, I guess it just took me longer than most to wake up
    >.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bigbadragz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Lets look at this from another standpoint.

Assumption is that all TJ needs is time to develop.
    Assumption is that the coaching staff as well as owner are cool with developing said starter.
    Assumption is that the backup would only come in if TJ went down.
    Fact is that we have someone on the bench with the same qualities/makeup as TJ.
    Fact is that the coaching staff as well as the owner are cool with developing a young QB
    Fact is that if TJ goes down Pigpen could come in and get said experience.

Honestly, what is really the big difference here?

TJ has two more starts in regular season than Pigpen.
    TJ has had more reps with the number ones.
    TJ has had possibly more one on one coaching than Pigpen.

Really, in my eyes its a wash, if TJ goes down, Pigpen comes in.
    Hell with giving up draft picks for a washed up has been or never was.

:

But hey, thats just me.
    maddro i'm not following.
    a vet qb is to learn from and someone who can come in and keep your head above water until your starter comes back from an injury and what not.
    i dont think the idea is to get thigpen in there for experience if something happens to tjack.
    the objective is to win, and trying to bring thigpen along that quickly will probably end in us being bad.

as for leftwich i wouldn't mind, but i dont think hes the right fit.
    he's gonna feel like he wants to start and i'll tell you right now, he won't have a chance here cuz tjack is the guy.
    I'm gonna ramble a bit here to try to make my point.

When you commit to a young QB that needs nothing more than experience, I think you are already just a bit below the water line, or at least to the point that you are admitting that you will loose a few with him as he matures.
    To do that you would need the owners understanding and support.
    Again, I challenge, what is the difference between Pigpen and TJ?
    2 starts.......
    :

With that said, then the only argumnet you can make at this point for brining in a vet is just that, someone to learn from. Here is where the quandry comes into play.......

Now we are back to the whole issue with respect to BB.
    Does he infact suck or doesn't he. Can we attribute TJ's progress to BB's mentoring or can't we.
    Quite a predicament for the crowd that believes we need a vet to teach our young Jedi but still say he sucks......

People People People, the only reason(s) to have a vet QB on the bench is so that he can challenge your young Jedi for the starting position or to come in and win games if your starter goes down, NOT to be a teacher to your starter.

Admit it, Rogers is the reason TJ has progressed to this point and not Bollinger.
    What good then would it do to give up pics for a old vet?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I agree that it is the job of the QB coach to coach the QB and not any older backup.

Childress has to be very cautious how he approaches this. If he brings in a vet and TJ has a few bad games, then people will be calling for him to bench TJ and go with the backup. ( This is a well documented and long established tradition among us Vikings fans ;D ). At this point it looks pretty unlikely that anyone will be calling for Bollinger at any point. And not before they ask for Wade to be named the QB.

But if TJ goes down and we are faced with running the team for an extended time with Bollinger pulling the trigger when we could have had someone like Holcomb backing him up, there will be a revolt.

Hopefully TJ can handle the job and stay healthy until Thigpen takes it from him.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

A vetern is nice to have to start to help your starter develop from the sidelines. ie the situation in oakland or before leinhart was the starter in arizona. if we are will to start TJ, then there is no point to have a vetern sit on the bench and hold a clip board.
    We're bringing purple back.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

I wouldn't want Leftwich.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

ill take a sandwich if anyone is giving those out

Thanks josdin00

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast