Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
    renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Re: Does Chilly SUCK or NOT?

"Creep" wrote:
    The answer is,...Coach Childress DOES NOT suck..We will still by him all season.....

See what he has in mind,...What plans he has for the team

I'll trust him for this year. I know,...They all say there is a three year plan.......But if ya don't see squat after this year is over,

well,...you figure it out
    AGREED!
    I say if he's at LEAST able to pull off 9-7 (10-6 would be better), then he gets his 3rd year to put the Vikes into Contention.

I am beginning to think this thread is a wild goose chase.
    We were given an assignment to discuss the 'suckiness' of Childress.
    But when I inquired as to the definition of 'suck', and asked for guidance with regard to 'suckiness' measurement criteria, the proverbial lights were turned off, the proverbial rug was pulled out from under me, and the proverbial door was locked!
    :P

I was really excited with the prospect of discussing the degree of suckiness, or absence thereof, of Childress.

But, alas and alack, it is not to be.
    :'( That was cruel!
    >

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Purplexing" wrote:
    I am beginning to think this thread is a wild goose chase.
    We were given an assignment to discuss the 'suckiness' of Childress.
    But when I inquired as to the definition of 'suck', and asked for guidance with regard to 'suckiness' measurement criteria, the proverbial lights were turned off, the proverbial rug was pulled out from under me, and the proverbial door was locked!

:P

I was really excited with the prospect of discussing the degree of suckiness, or absence thereof, of Childress.

But, alas and alack, it is not to be.
    :'( That was cruel!

>

I think that the title of the thread was a clear indication about the direction this thread would take.
    Language such as "suck" does not tend to invite very intelligent conversation.

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"Del" wrote:
    Well I called in to the show he was just on. It took two tries I asked a very valid question that did not get aired and then he left.

So I assume he does suck. Not to mention he is the worst coach in Vikings History. He makes Les look like a god gol 'darnit savior the way he runs this team. Bald jiggly butt beady eyed freaky son of a beeyatch.

I hope Pat Williams gets blocked in training camp on a slight decline, starts to roll and hits childress, and I hope Childress gets stuck in the crack of his jiggly butt and suffocates to near death only to be continually ressusitated by Pat Williams farts filling his lungs with enough air to avoid death. I also hope this goes on for weeks constantly ALMOST dying only to be brought back to life by Pat Poots.

first off del, friggin hilarious.

2ndly.
    perplex i'll discuss it.
    and i'm sure you're excited.
    childress's suckiness, where do i begin.
    gameplanning.

live off the defense and give the ball to chester 30 times a game.
    not bad.
    worked to a 4-2 start.
    okay, not working anymore.
    stick with the same game plan.

brad johnson slowly getting worse with decisions week by week, while still not providing any offense, stick with him.

finally go to tavaris on a short week on the road against our arch rival while starting a rookie center at right tackle. this was my favorite.

giving tavaris his 2nd start, with same right tackle but gives the vikings young practice squad wr's a shot assuredly making tjack's adjustment to the pro game much easier.

new england exposes problems in our secondary in week 7, have that same problem for the next 9 weeks.

when asked about his problems on offense, throws players under the bus while calling his offense "kick ass" and for some reason mentions the defense and special teams so to avoid taking any responsibility for scoring the 1st td's of games as time is expiring.

obviously lost his team, by the fact that we didn't bother showing up for our final home game. we showed no heart whatsoever and looked like we quit, i blame the coach for that.

is it fair to judge him after one season, no, i guess not.
    he made some good decisions to start the year.
    but i saw very little adjustment to the things that stopped working or never worked.
    so should i judge him? maybe not, but i got some gripes.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

If Childress had inherited a team that was bad then all this talk would be absurd. The fact is, he inherited a team that was pretty darn close to making it to the Playoffs last year, that hadn't had a losing season in 3 years, and had a whole mess of talent and promise.

I know we lost Koren Robinson last year but we still had talent available to us. Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson aren't elite but they were good enough to get by.
    A deep threat and a possession Receiver.
    But Childress refused to use Robinson for no real clear reason at all - can we agree that is dumb?

Now, when you have two pretty WRs and then you have a line with Bryant McKennie, Matt Birk, and Steve Hutchinson and then add to that a quality back like Chester Taylor and a very good pass-catching TE like Jermaine Wiggins.
    You have more than enough talent to not post the some of the worst numbers in the league and in franchise history.
    Childress' offense, with him calling the plays, did.
    Perhaps he didn't have the guys in his scheme and if that was the case then why didn't he get them?
    If they are guys like the Shank and Bobby Wade - well we could have easily gotten guys just like those in Free Agency or maybe round 6 or 7 of the draft. We had plenty of cap space for guys of that calibur by the time the season started last year.

Now, I never wanted him to be our HC in the first place.
    He was second fiddle in an offensive scheme of a team that had a losing record.
    With Andy Reid in charge of the offense Chilly was basically a quarterbacks coach with an undeserved title.

So:
    9-7 to 6-10
    average offense to horrible offense
    Happy Players to Disgruntled Players
    Didn't have the credentials to be a HC
    +Stubborn and doesn't show signs of learning from mistakes

= Bad Head Coach

I'm saying 1 or 2 more years of this isn't going to make a difference.
    We can't cut our losses now but if we keep letting Childress run the show we could find ourselves like the Raiders or the Bengals (of the 90s).
    In a hole that is going to be so steep it will take years to climb out of.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Happy Players to Disgruntled Players
    What are you basing this on.
    Which one of the players have spoke out against him?

Please give me sources and not your opinion.

Even old Smoot spoke well of B-chill when he signed else where.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    But Childress refused to use Robinson for no real clear reason at all - can we agree that is dumb?
    No, we can't.
    Childress didn't use MRob for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which was constant injury, and then the perception of malingering after the injury healed.

You admitted that you never wanted Childress here.
    Unfortunately, that prevents you from looking at the season objectively.
    It is hard to make a decent judgment when you are being blinded by man-hate for someone.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"bigbadragz" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Well I called in to the show he was just on. It took two tries I asked a very valid question that did not get aired and then he left.

So I assume he does suck. Not to mention he is the worst coach in Vikings History. He makes Les look like a god gol 'darnit savior the way he runs this team. Bald jiggly butt beady eyed freaky son of a beeyatch.

I hope Pat Williams gets blocked in training camp on a slight decline, starts to roll and hits childress, and I hope Childress gets stuck in the crack of his jiggly butt and suffocates to near death only to be continually ressusitated by Pat Williams farts filling his lungs with enough air to avoid death. I also hope this goes on for weeks constantly ALMOST dying only to be brought back to life by Pat Poots.

first off del, friggin hilarious.

2ndly.
    perplex i'll discuss it.
    and i'm sure you're excited.
    childress's suckiness, where do i begin.
    gameplanning.

live off the defense and give the ball to chester 30 times a game.
    not bad.
    worked to a 4-2 start.
    okay, not working anymore.
    stick with the same game plan.

brad johnson slowly getting worse with decisions week by week, while still not providing any offense, stick with him.

finally go to tavaris on a short week on the road against our arch rival while starting a rookie center at right tackle. this was my favorite.

giving tavaris his 2nd start, with same right tackle but gives the vikings young practice squad wr's a shot assuredly making tjack's adjustment to the pro game much easier.

new england exposes problems in our secondary in week 7, have that same problem for the next 9 weeks.

when asked about his problems on offense, throws players under the bus while calling his offense "kick jiggly butt" and for some reason mentions the defense and special teams so to avoid taking any responsibility for scoring the 1st td's of games as time is expiring.

obviously lost his team, by the fact that we didn't bother showing up for our final home game. we showed no heart whatsoever and looked like we quit, i blame the coach for that.

is it fair to judge him after one season, no, i guess not.
    he made some good decisions to start the year.
    but i saw very little adjustment to the things that stopped working or never worked.
    so should i judge him? maybe not, but i got some gripes.
    OK, let me summarize this rambling rant.

1. It's not fair to judge an NFL coach after one season. ( commonly accepted axiom, based on the time it takes to rebuild an NFL team roster )
    2. You had plenty of criticisms of a coach. ( evidence is above rant )
    3. You prejudged. ( by definition of judging after one season, and items 1., 2. )
    4. You are prejudiced. ( follows from 3. )

Rather than waste time addressing your opinions on 'staying the course', I will now pick only one item to address, which is the most blatant lie above....

'lost his team'

Actually, M.Robinson was lost because he malingered after injuries.
    Childress called him on it and M.Robinson did the cowardly thing of going to reporters before talking to the coach and accepting responsibility for his selfish behavior.

If Childress truly 'lost his team', why did EJHenderson chose to re-sign during the season?
    McKinnie?
    Dugan?
    K.Williams?
    Those are 4 players who could, except for Dugan, perhaps, get a lucrative contract elsewhere, but who opted to play for Childress for a long time into the future.

The 'team members Childress lost' were K.Robinson, M.Robinson, Smoot, Wiggins, Rosenthal, Whittle, .... were players he chose to lose.
    They were, mostly, unproductive, bad-fits for his systems, false-starters, malingerers, malcontents, and miscreants.
    I'm
    glad he 'lost' most of them and will replace them wih players who will be productive, less mistake prone, good character 'team' players ( i.e. not selfish).

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    If Childress had inherited a team that was bad then all this talk would be absurd.

Didn't have the credentials to be a HC
    +Stubborn and doesn't show signs of learning from mistakes

= Bad Head Coach

I'm saying 1 or 2 more years of this isn't going to make a difference.
    I'll reply only to the excerpted remarks above...

The Vikings were not 'bad' in 2005.
    But they were aging in 2006 (e.g. Johnson, Wiggins, M.Robinson) and had a few players who were underperforming (e.g. Smoot, DThomas, Williamson, B.Johnson, Kleinsasser), and a few who were bad fits (Smoot, Hicks, Wiggins).
    So, Childress had a lot of things that had to be fixed that didn't seem to be 'broken' in 2005.

Childress had 'credentials' as an OC, and was sought by a few other teams when the Vikings signed him to a 5 year deal.
    What more is required to be 'credentialled' to be a HC?
    Prior experience as a HC is not needed; if it were, teams would be coachless when all the current coaches retired.

Stubborn = determined to follow through on a plan, through tough times when a transition plan results in temporary setbacks.
    I'm glad he stuck to the formula of building the team from the lines backward, focusing on a controlled running game and an effective defense.

No signs of learning from mistakes = just an empty claim with no examples.
    I'll counter this with the following:
    1. benched a few OL (Hicks, Johnson) when they underperformed
    2. benched M.Robinson when he malingered after being injured
    3. dumped K.Robinson when his selfishness overrode his responsibility to teammates
    4. put P.Williams on PUP list in training camp when he reported overweight.
    5. benched Smoot when Smoot underperformed
    6. benched DSmith for his miscreant behavior

There are a few more cases of learning from mistakes & fixing problems, but the above are adequate examples of 'changing course' to fix problems that arose.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am not ready to say he sucks yet, But I will have a pretty good idea of how his tenure is going to look by the time we play each of our division foes one time.

Both GB and Detroit switched their coaches at the same time we did. GB and Chicago swept us and we swept Detroit. We probably should have beat Chicago the one time, but by that same logic we should have lost to Detroit the first time so it's a wash.

If we are 3-0 after those games and look solid while scoring on offense then it would be safe to say he will be off the hook for at least a few weeks lol.
    NO

If we are 2-1 and played the games tough and look good in the non divisional games we will still get a good feeling of where he is headed and how the team is transforming to his way of doing things. If we are 2-1 but looked lethargic and only won because of capitalizing on one mistake in a low scoring game it will take more evaluation.

Probably not

If we are 1-2 at that point I would be looking for signs that we are at least making progress. Are the penalties starting to go down and are the lines starting to work in harmony? Are we converting 3rd downs? Is the QB showing any signs of growth? How is the coaching staff handling the players? Does it look like the players are not executing or are the coaches not putting them in a position to be successful? Maybe

If we start 0-3 against the division it is going to be a hard sell for the coach. Unless we lose the games by bad calls or fluke plays it will be hard to defend. One thing that may help in this scenario would be if we had solid play from the team, but rookie type mistakes by the inexperienced QB that cost us the games. Things that could be fixed through coaching or a player swap.But if the team is 0-3 against the division to start with and the team is looking like last years team where everybody looks flat,confused,penalized and uninterested while unable to convert a 3rd down or stop a conversion on defense. Yes

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast