Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Is it the media or Favre? Well let's see is the media talking about Manning, Brady, McNabb, Brees, etc etc. No, then I have to say it's Favre. Not putting Favre down for it, but he is clearly the reason, even if the media goes overboard.
    He is the reason, but he doesn't do anything to attract the attention right now. It just happens.

    Brady/Manning/Brees, etc. aren't 40 years old, thinking about coming back. Favre is.

    People know those three will be back. Favre is the one with the story.

    I do worry about other veterans following Favres lead. I'm not sure the team will be as ready as they could be if Pat Williams, Ryan Longwell, Winfield and all other vets decide they don't need to practice.
    I recall Winfield decided he didn't need to participate last year and Chilly got mad. This seems to be a Favre only thing. The players have accepted it.

    Add that to the fact that he's recovering from surgery, I don't think ANYBODY expects him to show up.

  2. #12
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Is it the media or Favre?
    In my opinion it is not necessarily either. It is people like us that fuel the fire by tuning into all the hype via T.V., radio and internet hits. If people didn't click and listen, the media wouldn't be reporting every time he scratches a dingle-berry. Little interest, little money; big interest, big money.

    Blame us...especially the ones who say they don't care, because in all likelihood they care the most.

  3. #13
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Is it the media or Favre? Well let's see is the media talking about Manning, Brady, McNabb, Brees, etc etc. No, then I have to say it's Favre. Not putting Favre down for it, but he is clearly the reason, even if the media goes overboard.
    He is the reason, but he doesn't do anything to attract the attention right now. It just happens.

    Brady/Manning/Brees, etc. aren't 40 years old, thinking about coming back. Favre is.

    People know those three will be back. Favre is the one with the story.

    I do worry about other veterans following Favres lead. I'm not sure the team will be as ready as they could be if Pat Williams, Ryan Longwell, Winfield and all other vets decide they don't need to practice.
    I recall Winfield decided he didn't need to participate last year and Chilly got mad. This seems to be a Favre only thing. The players have accepted it.

    Add that to the fact that he's recovering from surgery, I don't think ANYBODY expects him to show up.
    I don't recall any player ever playing the retirement game the way Favre has. I'm probably wrong and somebody else has done it, but Favre has seperated himself from every other player, not the media.

    I agree the players and coaches have accepted that Favre is going to do things on his own schedule. We probably all see similar exceptions made for employees where we work(this guy comes in at 8:30, this guy takes 6 smoke breaks a day, this guy where's gym shorts to the office). But when you start rationalizing it by saying vets don't need to be there you open the door for others to do the same.

  4. #14
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Is it the media or Favre?
    In my opinion it is not necessarily either. It is people like us that fuel the fire by tuning into all the hype via T.V., radio and internet hits. If people didn't click and listen, the media wouldn't be reporting every time he scratches a dingle-berry. Little interest, little money; big interest, big money.

    Blame us...especially the ones who say they don't care, because in all likelihood they care the most.
    Can't argue with that. And I'm not one that compains about it either, I can't get enough news about Favre's dingle berry scratching habits and patterns.

  5. #15
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    jmcdon00 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Is it the media or Favre? Well let's see is the media talking about Manning, Brady, McNabb, Brees, etc etc. No, then I have to say it's Favre. Not putting Favre down for it, but he is clearly the reason, even if the media goes overboard.
    He is the reason, but he doesn't do anything to attract the attention right now. It just happens.

    Brady/Manning/Brees, etc. aren't 40 years old, thinking about coming back. Favre is.

    People know those three will be back. Favre is the one with the story.

    I do worry about other veterans following Favres lead. I'm not sure the team will be as ready as they could be if Pat Williams, Ryan Longwell, Winfield and all other vets decide they don't need to practice.
    I recall Winfield decided he didn't need to participate last year and Chilly got mad. This seems to be a Favre only thing. The players have accepted it.

    Add that to the fact that he's recovering from surgery, I don't think ANYBODY expects him to show up.
    I don't recall any player ever playing the retirement game the way Favre has. I'm probably wrong and somebody else has done it, but Favre has seperated himself from every other player, not the media.

    I agree the players and coaches have accepted that Favre is going to do things on his own schedule. We probably all see similar exceptions made for employees where we work(this guy comes in at 8:30, this guy takes 6 smoke breaks a day, this guy where's gym shorts to the office). But when you start rationalizing it by saying vets don't need to be there you open the door for others to do the same.
    There is a huge difference between "a vet", and "Brett Favre".

    For better or worse Favre is in a league of his own, a modern day legend. I think this "fact" is recognized by almost everybody, including his peers and coaches in the NFL and hence the reason that nobody is making a big stink, or even expects him to practice pre-season.

    Also, it is not uncommon for veterans to be given slack by coaching staffs...granted this is a bit extreme, but then again, look who we're talking about.

  6. #16
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    Is it the media or Favre? Well let's see is the media talking about Manning, Brady, McNabb, Brees, etc etc. No, then I have to say it's Favre. Not putting Favre down for it, but he is clearly the reason, even if the media goes overboard.
    He is the reason, but he doesn't do anything to attract the attention right now. It just happens.

    Brady/Manning/Brees, etc. aren't 40 years old, thinking about coming back. Favre is.

    People know those three will be back. Favre is the one with the story.

    I do worry about other veterans following Favres lead. I'm not sure the team will be as ready as they could be if Pat Williams, Ryan Longwell, Winfield and all other vets decide they don't need to practice.
    I recall Winfield decided he didn't need to participate last year and Chilly got mad. This seems to be a Favre only thing. The players have accepted it.

    Add that to the fact that he's recovering from surgery, I don't think ANYBODY expects him to show up.
    I don't recall any player ever playing the retirement game the way Favre has. I'm probably wrong and somebody else has done it, but Favre has seperated himself from every other player, not the media.

    I agree the players and coaches have accepted that Favre is going to do things on his own schedule. We probably all see similar exceptions made for employees where we work(this guy comes in at 8:30, this guy takes 6 smoke breaks a day, this guy where's gym shorts to the office). But when you start rationalizing it by saying vets don't need to be there you open the door for others to do the same.
    There is a huge difference between "a vet", and "Brett Favre".

    For better or worse Favre is in a league of his own, a modern day legend. I think this "fact" is recognized by almost everybody, including his peers and coaches in the NFL and hence the reason that nobody is making a big stink, or even expects him to practice pre-season.

    Also, it is not uncommon for veterans to be given slack by coaching staffs...granted this is a bit extreme, but then again, look who we're talking about.
    True Brett is in a league of his own. But then you get comments about vets not needing it and he won't learn anything. Suddenly the list of guys who should not need to attend camp grows.

    I still have hope in the back of my mind that Favre is going to show up for camp this year. Probably one of the reasons. He could make the big announcement tonight at the espy's(doubtful since it would detract from the Arthur Ashe award he's giving out).

  7. #17
    locuomotion's Avatar
    locuomotion is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    45

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    Good preview of an interview that will come out in next month's Mens Journal...http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/98426974.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

    It was unreal. Before last year, Id reached a point where I was sitting in meetings with guys 15 years younger than me thinking, What the hell am I doing here? Football became work. But last year it went back to being a game.
    "You don't have to have a mullet to cut your sleeves off and be a bad ass." - Jared Allen
    www.hoverstad.com

  8. #18
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    locuomotion wrote:
    Good preview of an interview that will come out in next month's Mens Journal...http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/98426974.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

    It was unreal. Before last year, Id reached a point where I was sitting in meetings with guys 15 years younger than me thinking, What the hell am I doing here? Football became work. But last year it went back to being a game.
    WOw, lots of good stuff there. I look forward to the full article.

  9. #19
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    jmcdon00 wrote:

    True Brett is in a league of his own. But then you get comments about vets not needing it and he won't learn anything. Suddenly the list of guys who should not need to attend camp grows.

    I still have hope in the back of my mind that Favre is going to show up for camp this year. Probably one of the reasons. He could make the big announcement tonight at the espy's(doubtful since it would detract from the Arthur Ashe award he's giving out).
    I guess I just haven't heard any other vets saying they don't need to practice either. Most elite NFL athletes appear to respect Bret even more than they do their fellow peers or elitists.

    Favre is different because of his consecutive starts, his toughness, his extreme age for an NFL QB and massive experience. Favre is the only exception to the rule IMO.

    My opinion is if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
    He's got an ankle issue to nurture and he did just fine last year not showing up to camp. I'd just as soon see his old ass rested up those two weeks practicing with the high school kids. We are gonna need him for more than 16 games and we have a tougher schedule than last year. Favre is not going to learn anything in camp...the coaches might, but Favre won't. There is no chemistry to develop That can be reignited in preseason. No reason to worry about Grandpa not showing up for camp IMO.

  10. #20
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Does anyone else see that the Favre watch is fill

    Also, I think it also has to do with age.

    remember there was talk last year of putting Favre on a pitch count?

    They know Favre doesn't need TC, and they know at 41 years old, the odds of him lasting a full season decrease. There's no need for him out there getting worn out. Yes, he's a tough SOB, but there will be a time soon when he gets worn out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 10:31 PM
  2. Annual Favre retirement watch begins
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 05:59 AM
  3. Lord Favre watch continues
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 05:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •