Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Griffin doesnt get burnt one on one unless he he in a jump ball situation

The reason people think Griffin gets burnt is because we run alot of zone and that leaves holes.. They throw it over on his side and people assume it was a blown coverage by Griffin

I would like to see more man to man and more jamming at the line

If we could get more pressure from our talented line then it would work perfect
    +1

In a cover 2 defense, I would take Toine and Cedric over pretty much any teams CBs. Both tough as nails and solid against the pass. Oh and they'll knock you the fuck out.

We are usually in zone coverage (cover 2) if a WR catches the ball the CB he was up against to begin the play is usually staying around that zone, therefor not involved in the play.

The 75 yard bomb may have been his fault. As it looked like we were running a cover 3, Tyrell dropping down, Cedric going deep. It's not like no one else does it. What about Sharper on the deep post? Or Winfields mis-plays?

Cedric Griffin hate hurts me. Do you think defense is really our problem?

You speak of the physicality of our corners.

They do make tackles, but why don't they play any press coverage. We need to start jamming at the line. Disrupt their timing. I'm getting sick of seeing these easy completions underneath their huge cushions.

In a zone defense, you don't need to be standing in your zone at the start of the play, they could just as easily drop to their coverage zone after delivering even a single blow at the line of scrimmage. Anything will help.
    Yeah I wonder why we can't jam and play our cover 2. I think it's because the basis of the cover 2 is to have your CBs play a soft zone at 5 yards back and let the screens & outside runs develop in front of them.
    Anything that happens behind the LOS they are there to make the tackle. Our CBs fit that scheme perfectly.
    I can't tell if you're trying to be sarcastic or not.

Maybe if we just jammed at the line on more traditional passing downs it would disrupt the timing enough that the OLB who gets run off by a TE doesn't leave a hole the size of the god damn grand canyon for a receiver to run a slant directly into, and go untouched for 30 yards because our corner began the play so far away to begin with.

You can still have those screen plays and outside runs develop in front of you and jam, in fact, they're supposed to jam in the cover 2. The corners play contain in a cover 2, they aren't supposed to let anyone outside of them, they funnel receivers to the middle. And I don't think a mean staredown from 6-8 yards away is enough to force a guy inside.

Jam within the first 5 yards, keep your eyes on the ball, and then play your coverage.

There's no excuse not to jam receivers at the line, disrupt the timing, give our guys up front another split second to get to the QB. Jared Allen said it himself, with another half-second, neither of the Colts' big plays wouldn't have happened.

"olson_10" wrote:
    griffin has made some good plays, but ever since he came into the league, he has been terribly inconsistent..however, tyrell johnson is doing all he can to make griffin look even worse right now..johnson is a rookie, and he wasnt supposed to start, so il cut him some slack, but the guy has just been terrible at safety so far
    Yeah i think they are just both young

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

"vikings4life33" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    griffin has made some good plays, but ever since he came into the league, he has been terribly inconsistent..however, tyrell johnson is doing all he can to make griffin look even worse right now..johnson is a rookie, and he wasnt supposed to start, so il cut him some slack, but the guy has just been terrible at safety so far
    Yeah i think they are just both young
    Tyrell Johnson did better then Griffin last game, Griffin is the weakest link.

I don't understand how people wonder why there is "Griffin hate".
    Honestly, go to last year and watch nearly any game we played and you will see why.
    A big portion of the big plays against us were because Griffin got beat, even when he had good coverage...

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Watch the games again buddy

We play a zone so you will watch the CB take a couple back peddles then leave them off to the safety

Usually its for a deep post down the middle and the safety doesn't get over

Cover two means the CB's stay low and the safetys play back.. It leaves large gaps that always get exposed for us

AKViking is offline Rookie

He certainly hasn't impressed me as a first rate corner. I think Olson got it right: he's very inconsistent. The big play to Gonzalez was typical of that inconsistency. Either Griffin was out of position, or both he and Johnson were. In any case, a rookie WR could see Griffin was too far off to make any play on the ball. The ball was out and Griff just stopped and stared at it like it was a UFO. He didn't move until he remembered a WR just blew past him.

Azurel is offline Waterboy

When your being passed on 40-50 times a game your going to get beat at some point, what we need is to have some CBs that can come in and give the guys a breather. Not to many CBs in the league have to cover that many passes in one game. After 20-30 passes straight you would get tired too, so may be that is an issue as well. I think that is one of the issues we have with him and a few others in these games, that is why the stats for our pass defense is really skewed.

I mean everybody talks about how we get passed on but, if that is the only option these other teams have is to pass 50 times a game then our pass defense will look like crap......I will give any team as many yards between the 20s they want, but our corners have to cover in the red zone period..... I won't say he blows but there are things he can improve on for sure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234