Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36
  1. #21
    CCthebest's Avatar
    CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    I not only think he blows, hes the worst CB ive seen play for the past 2 years....and I thought Brian Williams was bad. What make Cedric worse is he ALWAYS celebrates if he makes an average tackle or knock down. Hes a punk.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Buffalo, MN
    Posts
    982

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    I'm okay with his play overall (even though Gonzalez ate him alive on Sunday), but he seems to gamble on way too many plays and gets caught out of position.
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

  3. #23
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    "Chazz" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "mamaluke" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I don't have any major problems with him.
    He had a reasonably good season last year.
    Personally, I think he fits his role nicely and he's going into his prime in his third year.
    I guess I may just overlook him sometimes because I keep thinking there are other glaring issues that I focus on during the game.
    Who would you want in his place?
    Good question, as I mentioned we don't have many options. Gordon, McCauley, Sapp. It just seems like the guy gets burnt too damn much in my opinion, an interception at least once a year would be nice as well. I agree with you about the other glaring (God knows we have a few) issues, but I also feel they have taken some of the attention away from this guy. Anyway, just wanted to add what I thought. It never fails, every game I get to see I notice Griffin giving up a big play (Example: Colt's Gonzalez getting about 10 yards behind him) or playing too soft.
    He didn't get any help for Tyrell Johnson.
    That is the true culprit. The corner is supposed to pass the WR off to the Saftey when they get deep. A 50 yard play in the air is on the saftey, not the corner.

    Good post.
    That is assuming that we were running a cover 2 on that particular play, which i don't believe we were.
    We run more man coverage than some of you might think.


    and yes, I think Griffin blows.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's the weakest starter on defense for us.

  4. #24
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,877

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "mamaluke" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    I don't have any major problems with him.
    He had a reasonably good season last year.
    Personally, I think he fits his role nicely and he's going into his prime in his third year.
    I guess I may just overlook him sometimes because I keep thinking there are other glaring issues that I focus on during the game.
    Who would you want in his place?
    Good question, as I mentioned we don't have many options. Gordon, McCauley, Sapp. It just seems like the guy gets burnt too gol 'darnit much in my opinion, an interception at least once a year would be nice as well. I agree with you about the other glaring (God knows we have a few) issues, but I also feel they have taken some of the attention away from this guy. Anyway, just wanted to add what I thought. It never fails, every game I get to see I notice Griffin giving up a big play (Example: Colt's Gonzalez getting about 10 yards behind him) or playing too soft.
    I also have an issue of playing too soft by the backs on some plays.
    They appear to be playing a little closer this year than last.
    The supposed shoring up of the D by pressuring the QB and not just stopping the run will take a little time to come together, personally, I see them on the right track with a solid D.
    Now, if the O could just score some points when the D is allowing <20.
    Should be wins racking up, not Ls.
    I noticed they were lining up much closer to the line against the Colts, however, I didn't see much jamming.
    Last year they were giving 8-10yds, last game closer to 2-3 yds.

    Consistency has always been an issue with Cedric.
    Some plays he looks brilliant and others he seems to let down his play a bit.
    Madieu Williams needs to get healthy quick or we will continue to be vulnerable on the deeper pass and the corners will continued to get blamed for any ball that gets caught.
    After all, they were line up against them at the start of the play.


  5. #25
    mamaluke is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    165

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    "CCthebest" wrote:
    I not only think he blows, hes the worst CB ive seen play for the past 2 years....and I thought Brian Williams was bad. What make Cedric worse is he ALWAYS celebrates if he makes an average tackle or knock down. Hes a punk.
    As the "topic starter" for this topic I must say that everyone has posted some very interesting views and brought some things to light that I have not taken into account, but the above mentioned quote is the one I agree with the most. Does anyone know if Griffin might be having the resposibility of covering Steve Smith this week? If so I predict at least a 200 yard day for Smith "again"!!! I am hoping Winfield gets the assignment, at least he will have a pretty good shot of slowing Smith down a bit. I must say that I whole-heartedly agree that we need Williams to come back from his injury to shore up the safety position as soon as possible.

  6. #26
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    "ragz" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Oh and I do think Cedric will be really good

    Our schemes just blow all the way around though
    it's true, i've talked about it with my brother for the last 2 years.
    i understand you have a system that you run, but if you dont have the personel to run correctly you make the adjustments necessary to get the best product.
    belicheck has had a variety of different offenses and defenses during their run here becuz he adjusted to his personel.

    offensively and defensively we have had the same problems since childress has been coach.
    what do you make of that?

    Thank you my man!

    Agreed that the coaching is horrible

    The zone gives up wayyyyy to many yards and alot of space to run

    Let Griff and Toine jam at the line and not let the WR's get in rhythm and make our ends crash around the outside and the Williams boys reak havoc in the middle

  7. #27
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,233

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    "V4L" wrote:
    Griffin doesnt get burnt one on one unless he he in a jump ball situation

    The reason people think Griffin gets burnt is because we run alot of zone and that leaves holes.. They throw it over on his side and people assume it was a blown coverage by Griffin

    I would like to see more man to man and more jamming at the line

    If we could get more pressure from our talented line then it would work perfect
    +1

    In a cover 2 defense, I would take Toine and Cedric over pretty much any teams CBs. Both tough as nails and solid against the pass. Oh and they'll knock you the fuck out.

    We are usually in zone coverage (cover 2) if a WR catches the ball the CB he was up against to begin the play is usually staying around that zone, therefor not involved in the play.

    The 75 yard bomb may have been his fault. As it looked like we were running a cover 3, Tyrell dropping down, Cedric going deep. It's not like no one else does it. What about Sharper on the deep post? Or Winfields mis-plays?

    Cedric Griffin hate hurts me. Do you think defense is really our problem?



  8. #28
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Griffin doesnt get burnt one on one unless he he in a jump ball situation

    The reason people think Griffin gets burnt is because we run alot of zone and that leaves holes.. They throw it over on his side and people assume it was a blown coverage by Griffin

    I would like to see more man to man and more jamming at the line

    If we could get more pressure from our talented line then it would work perfect
    +1

    In a cover 2 defense, I would take Toine and Cedric over pretty much any teams CBs. Both tough as nails and solid against the pass. Oh and they'll knock you the fuck out.

    We are usually in zone coverage (cover 2) if a WR catches the ball the CB he was up against to begin the play is usually staying around that zone, therefor not involved in the play.

    The 75 yard bomb may have been his fault. As it looked like we were running a cover 3, Tyrell dropping down, Cedric going deep. It's not like no one else does it. What about Sharper on the deep post? Or Winfields mis-plays?

    Cedric Griffin hate hurts me. Do you think defense is really our problem?


    You speak of the physicality of our corners.

    They do make tackles, but why don't they play any press coverage. We need to start jamming at the line. Disrupt their timing. I'm getting sick of seeing these easy completions underneath their huge cushions.

    In a zone defense, you don't need to be standing in your zone at the start of the play, they could just as easily drop to their coverage zone after delivering even a single blow at the line of scrimmage. Anything will help.

  9. #29
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,233

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    "Mr" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Griffin doesnt get burnt one on one unless he he in a jump ball situation

    The reason people think Griffin gets burnt is because we run alot of zone and that leaves holes.. They throw it over on his side and people assume it was a blown coverage by Griffin

    I would like to see more man to man and more jamming at the line

    If we could get more pressure from our talented line then it would work perfect
    +1

    In a cover 2 defense, I would take Toine and Cedric over pretty much any teams CBs. Both tough as nails and solid against the pass. Oh and they'll knock you the fuck out.

    We are usually in zone coverage (cover 2) if a WR catches the ball the CB he was up against to begin the play is usually staying around that zone, therefor not involved in the play.

    The 75 yard bomb may have been his fault. As it looked like we were running a cover 3, Tyrell dropping down, Cedric going deep. It's not like no one else does it. What about Sharper on the deep post? Or Winfields mis-plays?

    Cedric Griffin hate hurts me. Do you think defense is really our problem?


    You speak of the physicality of our corners.

    They do make tackles, but why don't they play any press coverage. We need to start jamming at the line. Disrupt their timing. I'm getting sick of seeing these easy completions underneath their huge cushions.

    In a zone defense, you don't need to be standing in your zone at the start of the play, they could just as easily drop to their coverage zone after delivering even a single blow at the line of scrimmage. Anything will help.
    Yeah I wonder why we can't jam and play our cover 2. I think it's because the basis of the cover 2 is to have your CBs play a soft zone at 5 yards back and let the screens & outside runs develop in front of them.
    Anything that happens behind the LOS they are there to make the tackle. Our CBs fit that scheme perfectly.

  10. #30
    CCthebest's Avatar
    CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: Does anyone else out there think Cedric Griffin blows?

    Steve Smith will have wood all week if he knows Griffin will be covering him....esp with our sucky safties.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. cedric griffin.......
    By DublinOhioMike in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 12:13 AM
  2. Cedric Griffin getting schooled
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
  3. Cedric Griffin Picture....
    By IBleedPurple11 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 01:21 PM
  4. Cedric Griffin: The hit man
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 05:01 PM
  5. Cedric Griffin
    By Webbigale2002 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 09:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •