Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Accents is offline Training Camp

Does anybody even want Culpepper?

After Culpepper's "Trade me, or Terminate my Contract" email, I was thinking perhaps Culpepper need a reality check. The article below states that the Ravens don't want to pay Culpepper very much. Another article says that Miami is just waiting for Culpepper to be released.

Ravens Wary of Culpepper, March 9, 2006
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens09mar09,0,2838996.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

It is believed the Ravens have concerns about Culpepper's health, which could limit him next season. The Ravens are hesitant about investing money in a free agent or a draft pick in a trade for a player who might not be ready for the season opener.

Plus, some Ravens officials aren't convinced that the Vikings will let go of Culpepper.

It appears the only way the Ravens would go after Culpepper is if it involved a low-risk deal, which meant an incentive-laden contract that included little guaranteed money.
    In an older article, Feb. 24, 2006,
    Dolphins resist offer on Culpepper, expect QB to be released
    http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/13947576.htm

The Dolphins expect Minnesota to release quarterback Daunte Culpepper before the Vikings are scheduled to pay him a $6 million roster bonus on March 17.

Because of that belief, the Dolphins have resisted the offer to trade for Culpepper, who also is scheduled to make $2 million in base salary for the 2006 season.

The Dolphins and Vikings recently discussed a trade for Culpepper. Although no exact compensation was discussed, the Vikings are asking for more than the second-round pick that was reported this month.

Despite those discussions, the Dolphins are not interested in a trade at this point. They are examining a number of quarterback options.
    What team, including the Vikings, would want to risk money on a player with a bum leg that might not even be able to play next season? It sounds llike both the Dolphins and the Ravens only want Culpepper at a bargain basement price.

Why would Wilf pay Culpepper the $6 million bonus? If paying culpepper's bonus is for trade value, how much is $6 million worth in the NFL? What would we get for $6 million in trade?

Accents

vikingTurf Guest

Re: Does anybody even want Culpepper?

More than about his health, i think he did a lot of damage to his reputation of being a mentally tough qb with comments he made yesterday, he is too emotional of a player and i think it's only going to harm his prospects.

Big C is offline Coordinator

"Does anybody even want Culpepper?"

I still do.

There is no other QB in FA out there that would be a marked improvement over Dante. Brees is intriguing but show me a game where he played well without Gates and LT being shut down.

I also agree that Dante is hurting his trade value with all the bitching and moaning. For 2006, keeping Dante makes sense.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Del Rio Guest

Trust me when I say he did not damage his reputation at all. TO will be one of the first guys to get a job this year. I imagine about 20 teams would be willing to take a shot on Culpepper.

However the ONLY reason to trade for him is if you don't want to compete for him on the open market. Otherwise why spend more cash when in a few weeks he may be a free agent and you can negotiate with just him and not deal with another organization.

Three can happen:

1) Somone wants him so bad they feel they HAVE to trade for him, so he doesn't have an opportunity to go elsewhere.

2) He is cut

3) He stays on the team

If he's traded he will probably be getting the same pay, if he is cut he will still be getting an assload of cash because he will be able to go to the highest bidder.

I think he is either cut or stays, not because no one wants him, but because no one wants to pay the 6mil bonus.

Of course I believe he wants to get cut, and has made a verbal agreement with Mike Tice to play in Jacksonville.

Big C is offline Coordinator

"Of course I believe he wants to get cut, and has made a verbal agreement with Mike Tice to play in Jacksonville".

Hmmm. Never thought of that. Interesting idea.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

yes....

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Of course I believe he wants to get cut, and has made a verbal agreement with Mike Tice to play in Jacksonville.
    Weren't you joking about this in another thread?

Where did this come from?

The Vikes want him and will pay his bonus.

Once the Vikes make the commitment, then they will get serious offers. You can't just let him go or cut him before the deadline. All these other teams are playing possum ont he deal. They would pony up if they thought they had to.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

darn another thread about Culpepper lol..anyways...wouldnt we take a cap hit if we just released him?? just a question maybe you guys know?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Big C" wrote:
    "Of course I believe he wants to get cut, and has made a verbal agreement with Mike Tice to play in Jacksonville".

Hmmm. Never thought of that. Interesting idea.
    Yeah....right.

Why would you want him when they have Byron? That dude is a warrior and you gotta believe Del Rio has a woody for that.

I still want Pep.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast