Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Re:Do you ever get depressed being a Vikings fan?

Never.

I don't think I have to say any more than that.

Yes I do... SKOL!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

gagarr wrote:
    tarkenton10 wrote:
    I thought about this team and what it looked like TWO years ago because everyone said that we lost Birk and we would not be as good. If you examine the gains and losses form two years ago we are better. The only two players that come to mind are Birk and Sharper. Sullivan as been an adequate replacement for Birk; I believe slightly below Birk's play but close enough to be able to get rid of Birk and not have a big drop off. Sharper is a different story we have suffered back there since his departure. Herrarra was serviceable but I think we can find a good replacement for him as well. CT was a big loss and a very good third down back but I am excited to see what Gehrhart bring to the table. Add in Cook, Degere and Griffin this year to the mix and if we go position by position I think we are even stronger than last year.

An overview: Sullivan for Birk - Wash Not bad because Sullivan is very young and has a decent upside.

Sharper- Definite down grade but there is young talent back there, now can they live up to expectations. (By the way I prefer Sanford to Johnson; I think he has better instincts and actually played better when you grade the two out)

Loadholt for Cook- Definite upgrade if you talk penalties alone.

Gehrhart for CT- ? I think a Wash or upgrade but way too early to tell. I do like Gehrhart's work ethic and the fact he was in a pro style offense at Stanford.

Griffin- Added into the mix at LDE- Very talented but a low motor; I can't believe he would be allowed to take plays off with Allen and the Williams wall there. They won't tolerate that. Upgrade-he is a playmaker

Degere for Cook- ? Very big very talented but alot like Cook IMO. He has slow feet but is huge and can play a few OL positions- Upgrade as a reserve

Cook- Upgrade - any talented corner can only help our depleted secondary. I have been saying for months now that I hope they move Winfield to FS. I really think that would be the biggest upgrade to our whole secondary. Add Lito Shepard to the mix and I think we may have a better secondary than the last two year.

WR- Upgrade just because PH & SR are a year older and more familiar with the O. Webb is the wild card as a WR and in the wild cat.

Rhyn (spelling?)- upgrade- We will see some very nice benefits of having some touchbacks, that could be a few more wins next year.

Upgrade in the Secondary, D-line, O-line,WR, ST
    Wash- TE, RB, LB
    Wash to downgrade- QB-Depending on the noodle

We are a better team than two years ago. And even better than last year, I think the biggest improvement may be seen along the O-line where Sully & loadholdt have year under their belt, Hutch should be healthy & mount Fatty has something to prove. The only possible downgrade for our team may be S and QB. So I would say we have a very good chance of repeating last years run IMHO!
    I think you seriously under estimate the affect of Birk. Birk might not be as fast and strong as he once was, but you can't replace his leadership and expertise with a 6th round draft pick first year starter. The center is responsible for making the OL calls, which given the drop off in yds per carry 4.5 to 4.1 EVEN with a much better passing game. Don't get me wrong I think Sully may become a decent center and a year helps, but I don't see Probowls in his future.

Same goes for Sharpers leadership and awareness, which is lacking in the safety position and the Vikes did nothing to improve it.

Griffen and EJ's return is questionable coming off serious injuries, which HURTS at both those positions.

As for the rookies being upgrades Gerhart, Cook, and Degeare, it's only speculation with no real proof.

IMO, if the team is as good as last year I will be happy. But it could easily be worse.
    I agree, but we could be better too. While we lost Birk we weren't going to pay him the money he wanted and as I stated that Sully may not have been as good as Birk I don't believe the drop off to be that severe. Sully came from ND and a pro style O so he had a few years to get things down and then a year to learn behind Birk.

And while there is no proof of play for the rookies if you look at who they are replacing you can't help but feel better about that position, other than RB. I liked CT and I am just hoping Gerhart who came from another pro style attack will be able to contribute rahter quickly. But you are right we could be worse , the same or better. That's what happens when you bring in talented rookies, sometimes they get it and sometimes even with talent they flame out. I believe Speilman chooses guys who have the right mental makeup to succeed at this level. That's why my last sentence I said IMO.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Whenever I think of the NFCCG, I don't get depressed, I get angry.

Then I turn into a giant purple monster and my hair grows out to resemble the mullet JA just cut.

KevinK is offline Starter

Depressed? Yes.

In 1998 NFC Championship game.

In the 2000 NFC Championship game.

In the 2009 Championship game.

The trade for Hershcel Walker that killed us for yrs to come.

My Father died in 1980, he was a cop in Connecticut and died in the line of duty. It was only a few weeks before my third birthday. My Mother speaks of the losses suffered in the 70's in the Super Bowl's and said he died a frustrated fan. I have no memory of my Father. But my lone connection I feel I have is being a fan of the Vikings. I saw my first game at the Dome in December against Dallas. I jumped on a plane by myself and purchased a seat through Stubhub. When I arrived to meet the PPO tailgate I felt I have finally met my people. Webby, Shock, TNT Zeus and others helped heal my father and my own pain just by being loyal to our beloved team. Being a depressed fan is ok when their is hope for the next season. Their is no hope for many teams. We have plenty of potential this upcoming season.

Yes I was depressed many times being a Viking fan. My son came to me after the Saints game and said, "Daddy, Mommy says your crying!" I laughed and said, Its better to have lossed, than have not had a chance at winning at all....

If the Red sox can beat their curse... anyone can!!!! LOL!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Depressed? not at all though certainly frustrated at the near misses we've had in recent years. I might not have seen the SBs live, so still have that to look forward to. So each season is one of hope and waiting to see what comes that year. Just means that come the SB win and it will come, then it will be all that much sweeter.
    I just hope to see one before I depart this mortal coil, more for all those Vikes fans that have gone before and not seen that elusive win.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Erinnn is offline Starter

I found it amusing that the add at the bottom of the page was for an anti-psychotic to augment treatment for depression. The drug companies really know their target market.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

12purplepride28 wrote:
    I was working today, and memories of the NFC championship game came into my mind, followed by a wave of depression. I just feel like we will never win a championship, doomed for eternity. Last year was our best chance and we blew it. I'm just wondering if anyone out there is still optimistic or if people feel as hopeless as I do.

Feel free to turn this into a thread about hating Chilly and Tjack and about how we won't win anything until we get a new coach and QB
    First, how did I miss this thread.

Second, how did TJ cost us games last year? Unless I'm mistaken, if you want to get a new QB this year, that means we get rid of the Noodle.

Third. I don't think anyone can get as hyped about a Vikings game as me. Faith, Family, Friends, Football, Fishing and hunting my friend. Suffice it to say, my whole year is centered around the game and this team but I don't get depressed when they loose.

PO'd? Yes. Mad? You betcha. Anxious to see them play again and right the wrong that the loss was? Again, yes.

Never depressed though.

With respect to the 2010 team. I thought the 2009 team was the best I've ever seen, at least for a long time. I am willing to say that the 2010 team is better than that one.

Get excited my friends, not depressed. This is gonna be one hell of a year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    I am willing to say that the 2010 team is better than that one.
    Would you be saying that if Favre wasn't our QB? ;P

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Comeon. You know the answer to that. Again, the QB is important, but I don't think he is THAT important.

Quick question, did Sanchize cause the Jets to win or loose last year?

As I said in another thread. Good teams win cause they have good starters, great teams win cause they have good depth behind thier starters.

In short, this is the ultimate team sport. Good teams with a few stars can get by, great teams with players that function as a team will get it done.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Comeon. You know the answer to that. Again, the QB is important, but I don't think he is THAT important.

Quick question, did Sanchize cause the Jets to win or loose last year?

As I said in another thread. Good teams win cause they have good starters, great teams win cause they have good depth behind thier starters.

In short, this is the ultimate team sport. Good teams with a few stars can get by, great teams with players that function as a team will get it done.
    You smell that? Smells like bullshit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast