Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Do you ever get depressed being a Vikings fan?

Rockmolder wrote:
    There's some room over here. As long as you don't get on the season ticket list. That one's long enough as it is.
    Sorry...I don't find sheep attractive....

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

Closest I came to being depressed over the Vikes was 98. I was young then some point in grade school, and I remember crying in the shower. Only time I can ever remember crying though, so it def. was huge for me. That was a rough game.

As a kid though, Randy Moss meant more to me than just about anything on God's green earth. It was like a sick obsession.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Jareds Mullet is offline Waterboy

oaklandzoo24 wrote:
    Closest I came to being depressed over the Vikes was 98. I was young then some point in grade school, and I remember crying in the shower. Only time I can ever remember crying though, so it def. was huge for me. That was a rough game.

As a kid though, Randy Moss meant more to me than just about anything on God's green earth. It was like a sick obsession.
    I had a good sniffle after the Saints loss I'll happily admit. I'd convinced myself that no-one could stop us, truth is no-one else did, we managed to stop ourselves all on our own.

That Championship game properly depressed me, Expectations were so high after the Cowboys game and it just seemed like destiny. For us to have lost in the way we did just hurt too bad, pretty much everone I knew remarked upon the change in my attitude. Seeing as I'd only started watching football in 2006 it's amazing how quickly the Vikings have buried their way into my heart. I suppose after experiencing that kind of disappointment now I can really call myself a Vikings fan.

As for your last sentence, for kid read adult and for Randy Moss read Adrian Peterson. I know what you mean fella.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

From a couple of you I get that you don't get depressed because you don't let yourself get to hyped up. That's exactly what my dad tells me, Its just a game, its ok. This coming from the man that cried his eyes out in the backseat of his car when Drew Pearson pushed off.

But I guess its not a complete state of depression, just more a realization that... I guess I hate my life. Haha, something like that. Either way, I just want a freakin championship.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

12purplepride28 wrote:
    I was working today, and memories of the NFC championship game came into my mind, followed by a wave of depression. I just feel like we will never win a championship, doomed for eternity. Last year was our best chance and we blew it. I'm just wondering if anyone out there is still optimistic or if people feel as hopeless as I do.

Feel free to turn this into a thread about hating Chilly and Tjack and about how we won't win anything until we get a new coach and QB
    I am depressed every miute of every day! What does that have to do with the Vikes? Seriously though, that's what people said about '98; that was our best team and will never have that chance again, yet we did. I believe if they stay in Minnesota they will eventually win a championship. And sooner rather than later if Wilf remains the owner.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

tarkenton10 wrote:

I am depressed every miute of every day! What does that have to do with the Vikes? Seriously though, that's what people said about '98; that was our best team and will never have that chance again, yet we did. I believe if they stay in Minnesota they will eventually win a championship. And sooner rather than later if Wilf remains the owner.
    I don't think staying in MN really matters. What matters is having a community/owner willing to give the team a new stadium to show how much the team matters. Wilf is a smart business man and will not continue to pour money into a team which isn't making it.

The recent poll:
    Poll: No tax dollars for Vikes' stadium, most Minnesotans say

Indicates that a new stadium is unlikely, if it comes to a vote.

IMO, only a Championship would alter this, if not most cities would love to have a championship team come to town.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

gagarr wrote:
    tarkenton10 wrote:

I don't think staying in MN really matters. What matters is having a community/owner willing to give the team a new stadium to show how much the team matters. Wilf is a smart business man and will not continue to pour money into a team which isn't making it.

The recent poll:
    Poll: No tax dollars for Vikes' stadium, most Minnesotans say

Indicates that a new stadium is unlikely, if it comes to a vote.

IMO, only a Championship would alter this, if not most cities would love to have a championship team come to town.
    Quoting from the article-

A new poll shows that Minnesotans overwhelmingly don't want their tax dollars spent on a new Minnesota Vikings stadium.

End quote

Appears there is an overwhelming probability Minnesotans may not realize what they had until it's gone.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

I thought about this team and what it looked like TWO years ago because everyone said that we lost Birk and we would not be as good. If you examine the gains and losses form two years ago we are better. The only two players that come to mind are Birk and Sharper. Sullivan as been an adequate replacement for Birk; I believe slightly below Birk's play but close enough to be able to get rid of Birk and not have a big drop off. Sharper is a different story we have suffered back there since his departure. Herrarra was serviceable but I think we can find a good replacement for him as well. CT was a big loss and a very good third down back but I am excited to see what Gehrhart bring to the table. Add in Cook, Degere and Griffin this year to the mix and if we go position by position I think we are even stronger than last year.

An overview: Sullivan for Birk - Wash Not bad because Sullivan is very young and has a decent upside.

Sharper- Definite down grade but there is young talent back there, now can they live up to expectations. (By the way I prefer Sanford to Johnson; I think he has better instincts and actually played better when you grade the two out)

Loadholt for Cook- Definite upgrade if you talk penalties alone.

Gehrhart for CT- ? I think a Wash or upgrade but way too early to tell. I do like Gehrhart's work ethic and the fact he was in a pro style offense at Stanford.

Griffin- Added into the mix at LDE- Very talented but a low motor; I can't believe he would be allowed to take plays off with Allen and the Williams wall there. They won't tolerate that. Upgrade-he is a playmaker

Degere for Cook- ? Very big very talented but alot like Cook IMO. He has slow feet but is huge and can play a few OL positions- Upgrade as a reserve

Cook- Upgrade - any talented corner can only help our depleted secondary. I have been saying for months now that I hope they move Winfield to FS. I really think that would be the biggest upgrade to our whole secondary. Add Lito Shepard to the mix and I think we may have a better secondary than the last two year.

WR- Upgrade just because PH & SR are a year older and more familiar with the O. Webb is the wild card as a WR and in the wild cat.

Rhyn (spelling?)- upgrade- We will see some very nice benefits of having some touchbacks, that could be a few more wins next year.

Upgrade in the Secondary, D-line, O-line,WR, ST
    Wash- TE, RB, LB
    Wash to downgrade- QB-Depending on the noodle

We are a better team than two years ago. And even better than last year, I think the biggest improvement may be seen along the O-line where Sully & loadholdt have year under their belt, Hutch should be healthy & mount Fatty has something to prove. The only possible downgrade for our team may be S and QB. So I would say we have a very good chance of repeating last years run IMHO!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

tarkenton10 wrote:
    I thought about this team and what it looked like TWO years ago because everyone said that we lost Birk and we would not be as good. If you examine the gains and losses form two years ago we are better. The only two players that come to mind are Birk and Sharper. Sullivan as been an adequate replacement for Birk; I believe slightly below Birk's play but close enough to be able to get rid of Birk and not have a big drop off. Sharper is a different story we have suffered back there since his departure. Herrarra was serviceable but I think we can find a good replacement for him as well. CT was a big loss and a very good third down back but I am excited to see what Gehrhart bring to the table. Add in Cook, Degere and Griffin this year to the mix and if we go position by position I think we are even stronger than last year.

An overview: Sullivan for Birk - Wash Not bad because Sullivan is very young and has a decent upside.

Sharper- Definite down grade but there is young talent back there, now can they live up to expectations. (By the way I prefer Sanford to Johnson; I think he has better instincts and actually played better when you grade the two out)

Loadholt for Cook- Definite upgrade if you talk penalties alone.

Gehrhart for CT- ? I think a Wash or upgrade but way too early to tell. I do like Gehrhart's work ethic and the fact he was in a pro style offense at Stanford.

Griffin- Added into the mix at LDE- Very talented but a low motor; I can't believe he would be allowed to take plays off with Allen and the Williams wall there. They won't tolerate that. Upgrade-he is a playmaker

Degere for Cook- ? Very big very talented but alot like Cook IMO. He has slow feet but is huge and can play a few OL positions- Upgrade as a reserve

Cook- Upgrade - any talented corner can only help our depleted secondary. I have been saying for months now that I hope they move Winfield to FS. I really think that would be the biggest upgrade to our whole secondary. Add Lito Shepard to the mix and I think we may have a better secondary than the last two year.

WR- Upgrade just because PH & SR are a year older and more familiar with the O. Webb is the wild card as a WR and in the wild cat.

Rhyn (spelling?)- upgrade- We will see some very nice benefits of having some touchbacks, that could be a few more wins next year.

Upgrade in the Secondary, D-line, O-line,WR, ST
    Wash- TE, RB, LB
    Wash to downgrade- QB-Depending on the noodle

We are a better team than two years ago. And even better than last year, I think the biggest improvement may be seen along the O-line where Sully & loadholdt have year under their belt, Hutch should be healthy & mount Fatty has something to prove. The only possible downgrade for our team may be S and QB. So I would say we have a very good chance of repeating last years run IMHO!
    I think you seriously under estimate the affect of Birk. Birk might not be as fast and strong as he once was, but you can't replace his leadership and expertise with a 6th round draft pick first year starter. The center is responsible for making the OL calls, which given the drop off in yds per carry 4.5 to 4.1 EVEN with a much better passing game. Don't get me wrong I think Sully may become a decent center and a year helps, but I don't see Probowls in his future.

Same goes for Sharpers leadership and awareness, which is lacking in the safety position and the Vikes did nothing to improve it.

Griffen and EJ's return is questionable coming off serious injuries, which HURTS at both those positions.

As for the rookies being upgrades Gerhart, Cook, and Degeare, it's only speculation with no real proof.

IMO, if the team is as good as last year I will be happy. But it could easily be worse.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Depressed? That's a difficult word to use. I've been fighting with clinical depression for years, but never because of the Vikings. I'm pretty much with Max on this one. Angry, frustrated, even saddened at times, but never depressed.

From where I sit, it's an honor and a privilege to be a Vikings fan. No one but the truest of true fans could endure what we've been through and still stand by our team. When it comes down to it, we live by the name of this site: Purple Pride!

-Brian the Travelin' Vike

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast