Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Do we really run a "west coast offense" and a "Cover 2" ??

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I really wonder about our schemes. We constantly hear that the Vikings run a "west coast offense" with a "Cover 2" defense. And yet: through the year, we abandoned the Cover 2, and our QB had a 45 % completion rating, in an offense that preferred to run the ball off tackle, rather than throw it short.

In short: we have abandoned the west coast offense, and the "Cover 2".

Right ?
    Where the hell did you dream up that stat? Do you have a link?

Jackson's completion % for 2007 was 58.2%.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackTa00.htm
    Stop trying to interject fact into the argument.
    Don't you know that the only things that matter are emotion and wild theories?
    And boobs.
    Don't forget boobs.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    I really wonder about our schemes. We constantly hear that the Vikings run a "west coast offense" with a "Cover 2" defense. And yet: through the year, we abandoned the Cover 2, and our QB had a 45 % completion rating, in an offense that preferred to run the ball off tackle, rather than throw it short.

In short: we have abandoned the west coast offense, and the "Cover 2".

Right ?
    Where the hell did you dream up that stat? Do you have a link?

Jackson's completion % for 2007 was 58.2%.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackTa00.htm
    Stop trying to interject fact into the argument.
    Don't you know that the only things that matter are emotion and wild theories?
    I prefer imagination and out-of-the-ass-stats as bases for my arguements...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

We definitely didn't run the Cover 2... we couldn't cover anybody.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    I think that's why they brought in Berrian.
    Against Denver i believe it was, they dared us to throw it deep and we hit Williamson in stride, and we all know what happened.
    Berrian hopefully will allow us to stretch out defenses.
    That doesn't solve the problem. If we leave the game in Tjs hands to win it. We will lose more than we win.
    Possibly.
    TJack actually won twice as many games as he lost last year, but at least two of those games we won in spite of the play at QB.
    However, I am not ready to say that leaving TJ under center is an automatic loss though.
    With the addition of Berrian, we actually have someone who can catch running deep routes.
    All of have the image of TWill dropping a perfect bomb in the Denver game - hard to fault TJ with that one.
    If we start connecting on a few of those passes, our run game will open up considerably.

Having someone who can actually catch the ball make a pretty big difference in the way the secondary and LB corps play.
    The Berrian - Rice - Wade lineup is a fairly good one, and even TJack should be able to flourish in it.

If not, hopefully we will draft some competition for him...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    Nice try - except for the fact that our passing D was actually rated 11th in yards per attempt...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I only wish...

The last 4 games still leave a total sour taste in my mouth: defenses stacking the box, and our "genius" coach running the ball off tackle into the teeth of their D. It happened in the 49ers game and every game after that. AP was shut down after game 12. Let's face reality. Defenses dared our coaching staff and QB to throw the ball, and we failed miserably. Tarvaris proved to be a dud.

I just wonder where this leaves us in 2008.

Coaching staff: get AP in SPACE, please !!
    :
    Who is to blame?

Is it called that way because the coaching staff knows TJ can't deliver despite the defense playing the run?

Or does TJ get the blame because the offensive play calling lacks the creativity to take advantage of mismatches like a WCO is supposed to?

Or is it both?

I feel things will likely improve this year with a better team around TJ and More experience.

But if it turns out to be the SOS offense instead of the KAO, there wont be much fan support or tolerance.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Nice try - except for the fact that our passing D was actually rated 11th in yards per attempt...
    True, but last place overall...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    The term WCO is a bit overused these days as it has morphed into so many different versions, however, there are two predominant philosophies when you discuss the WCO since the Bill Walsh era.

One is, "Pass to set up the run", and the other is "Run to setup the pass".

Here is a good discussion/set of links I provided DaVike in another thread a while ago.

Very interesting reads if you have the time that will help you understand what variant we run.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...7982#msg727982

As to our defense, I don't think you saw us "Give up" on our cover 2 scheme last year but rather get away from it a bit because we lacked the ability to get pressure from our front 4 which is what the whole defensive scheme is based off of.

In an effort to get pressure on the QB they started to send LB'rs which inturn took LB'rs out of the zones that they would normally drop back into to take away the quick stuff like short slants and quick outs.

That in turn had a trickle down affect as it made our CB's play a bit more press coverage which isn't thier strong suite.

Again, I don't think we gave up on the scheme but were forced to come up with different ways to overcome the lack of pressure from our front 4.
    I for one thought that worked well. If we can get more front four pressure without blitzing, we should be able to have the flexibility to mix up the reads similar to what the Giants did to Brady. I'm not saying they will be as good as the Giants, but definately should be better than we were.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    The term WCO is a bit overused these days as it has morphed into so many different versions, however, there are two predominant philosophies when you discuss the WCO since the Bill Walsh era.

One is, "Pass to set up the run", and the other is "Run to setup the pass".

Here is a good discussion/set of links I provided DaVike in another thread a while ago.

Very interesting reads if you have the time that will help you understand what variant we run.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...7982#msg727982

As to our defense, I don't think you saw us "Give up" on our cover 2 scheme last year but rather get away from it a bit because we lacked the ability to get pressure from our front 4 which is what the whole defensive scheme is based off of.

In an effort to get pressure on the QB they started to send LB'rs which inturn took LB'rs out of the zones that they would normally drop back into to take away the quick stuff like short slants and quick outs.

That in turn had a trickle down affect as it made our CB's play a bit more press coverage which isn't thier strong suite.

Again, I don't think we gave up on the scheme but were forced to come up with different ways to overcome the lack of pressure from our front 4.
    I for one thought that worked well. If we can get more front four pressure without blitzing, we should be able to have the flexibility to mix up the reads similar to what the Giants did to Brady. I'm not saying they will be as good as the Giants, but definately should be better than we were.
    I agree.
    Question(s) is/are.....

a.
    Will our young crop of DE's (Robison/Edwards) increase thier sack totals/QB pressures from what they did last year.
    (I think the will by the way).
    b.
    Will Winny stay healthy this year for a full season.
    c.
    Will Griff/Gordon/McCauley put up better numbers than they did last year. (I think they will).
    d.
    Will the changes/additions at DT get more pressure up the middle/collapsing the pocket which will flush the QB?
    (I'm still hesitant on this one but will be abit optimistic).

Gimme (a) and (c) with (b) and I think we will see an improvement.
    Gimme all 4 and we will be a force.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I still question whether we have ever played a traditional cover 2. I remember in the Tampa 2 the CBs played bump and run every single down. We line up 10 yards off of the receiver.

As for the WCO. We definelty run it, but we have too many mistakes, flags, and incompletions to run it effectively.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast