Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Do The Vikings Need A GM?

Marty blows.
    He does nothing; his assistants do everything for him.
    He chokes in the playoffs.
    I just do not want to make the playoffs, I want to at least win a playoff game!

All of you that keep saying "well at least we would make the playoffs" would be the first to cry when we go one and out.

I want a franchise guy!

Glen Mason!
    ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tb04512" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    yes they do and marty wants to be a GM!!!
    I would suck at it.

First of all, I don't know enough about being one, second, I would suck in front of the press.
    I would call them all idiots and bash all the idiot fans who don't know squat (much like me) who think they know everything.

;D
    silly marrdo i said marty as in shottenheimer
    8)
    Sorry, Marty is my first name.
    ;D

Not so sure about the other Marty.
    He might be a good fit but what he like 65 or older?
    Would he be able to stick a few years?
    Wonder what the GM hours are compared to a HC.

Very interesting indeed.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    I would suck at it.

First of all, I don't know enough about being one, second, I would suck in front of the press.
    I would call them all idiots and bash all the idiot fans who don't know squat (much like me) who think they know everything.
    ;D
    8)
    ;D

Not so sure about the other Marty.
    He might be a good fit but what he like 65 or older?
    Would he be able to stick a few years?
    Wonder what the GM hours are compared to a HC.

Very interesting indeed.
    ;D
    i dunno it was just something i heard and thought id throw out its seems interesting to me

Thanks josdin00

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tb04512" wrote:
    I would suck at it.

;D
    8)

;D
    Like you're the only Marty in the world.

MCFLY!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice post my friend.

;D
    I'm trying to make sure I'm in the right column in the spreadsheet.

You think that Fran Foley was fired because he drafted Ryan Cook too early?
    That theory conveniently ignores the lying on his resume and the way that he (apparently) pissed off everyone in Winter Park with his arrogant attitude.
    I've never read ANYTHING that suggests Foley was canned because of the draft.
    Arrogance, lying, not getting along with others.
    Same same in my book. He probably didn't get along with a couple of people during phases of the draft based on those characteristic traits. He was a idiot to think he was gonna come in and run the show.
    (IMHO
    ;D).
    Well - that's not what you said in the post to which I responded (although, it's not here, and I'm trying to remember, some 12 hours later....been a long day).
    You were alluding to him leaving because of the results of the draft - in particular the selections of Cook and TJack too early, based on what OTHER team's scouts had to say.

My opinion on OTHER team's scouts is thus:
    6 teams passed on AD because their scouts told them to do so.

Yes, I remember Del's quotes.
    I also remember that he visited here before he went there and then he never left.
    Kinda like the Vikes did with Childress.
    Kinda like the Vikes did with Hutchinson.
    So what are you telling me?
    Our offer was a lowball offer that caused him to seek employment elsewhere?
    Evidently they will pay the bucks if they want (Chiller/Hutch), didn't they want Curtis?

I contend that they did want Curtis as well as Wade.
    They tried to get both of them on the Cheap Seat scale.
    Again, my interpretation of what happend, but do you think I am that far off?
    A good offer would have kept him here.
    My recollection is that Curtis took less money to go to Philadelphia.
    And my recollection of Del's quotes were that Curtis just didn't want to come here, probably because of the QB situation.
    I don't recall anything about the offer being "lowball".

The Vikings have shown TIME and TIME again, dude, that they will spend the $$$ if the player is worth it.
    Hutch, EJ, McKinnie (not worth it, IMHO) and Phat Pat are all within the past year.
    Toss in Winfield and Sharper before that and this myth that the Vikings won't spend money is blown away.
    Because of budget constraints, mostly caused by the shit-ass deal they have with the MSC for the Dome, the Vikings can't be tossing the bucks around like Danny Snyder.

It wasn't until this season that the Patriots started spending money - and they won 3 Super Bowls by playing it cheap and "low-balling" people, as you call it.

This one is laughable.
    Because the Vikings didn't publish a press release laying out their FA strategy for obtaining what you believe was the answer at QB in the 2007 off-season, you are condemning them?
    You said it yourself - you don't know what calls were made.
    So assigning this as a negative is specious.
    They did lay it out.
    They said they were set with TJ.
    :

There is no way in hell a Heach Coach in the NFL put this team/season in the hands of a veritable rookie QB without even lobbying for a starter to run the offense.

If that did happen, it happened at a much higher level than the HC my friend.
    The owner would know that a second loosing season would have a lot of negative fallout on several levels.
    Back to my comment on the PR department.
    Why hasn't there been alot of press/bandaids out there before and during the season other than a few articles that say,,,,,,,Paitience.......
    We are building through the draft......We are developing our young talent.......
    Your first statement confuses me.
    Are you saying that the Vikings started with a QB tandem of Tarvaris Jackson, Brooks Bollinger and Kelly Holcomb because someone other than Chilly said that was the way to go?

I don't believe that for one second, man.
    Not one goldurn second.

You want the Vikings PR staff to send out reassuring press releases every week to calm the public?
    What professional sports organization does that, Marr?
    Yes I do.
    The press (you know I hate them) has alot of power with respect to swaying public preception.
    They should be out there right now explaining things, putting out stuff about the vision of the team?
    Have we seen any of that?
    Nope, all we get to see is the Chiller.
    Face it, he isn't a very good PR guy.
    ;D
    Is Childress a buffoonish media whore like Tice?
    No.
    Was he a cranky jackass last season?
    Yes.
    Has he gotten a shitload better this season?
    Yes.

You wouldn't be going on and on about the PR department (the PR deparment!!! fer Chrissakes!) if the Vikings were winning.
    The Big Chill's personality during press conferences would not be a subject for debate.

I don't believe it is the responsibility of the coach to be Frank Sinatra in front of the press.
    I believe he needs to be open about decisions - when the time calls (naming starters beforehand is not the time, explaining the decision after the fact is - and Childress has DONE this this season over and over again) as well as discussing the long-term as appropriate.
    In the middle of the season?
    Not appropriate, IMHO.

Marr - you are the LAST person I would expect to form an argument based on "I thinks" and "They don'ts" rather than actual evidence
    I normally don't, however, in this case all I have in conjecture based on facts and assumed facts.

Again, do you believe I am that far off the mark?
    ;D
    Yes - you're totally off the mark.
    Spielman is the Director of Player Personnel.
    He and Childress make the decisions on the roster, with input from other coaches, scouts, Studwell, RobB (for cap reasoning) and, perhaps, Zygi Wilf, if there's some controversy to the decision.
    I fail to see how that is fundamentally different from the model that most other teams follow.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456