Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Do The Vikings Need A GM?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Great post. Yes, we absolutely need a GM...and yes, good point about Wilf hiring a coach before a GM?!? That was a big mistake. Whether or not he keeps Childress as HC, he's gotta hire a top-notch football guy as GM...and then the HC can concentrate soly on running the team on the field. Got enough distractions, don't need any more.

Of the characteristics listed in the article, I think Football Knowledge and Strong Communicator are critical. If he possesses those skills, the others will follow. I keep thinking about 2 of the most successful GMs in the NFL, Young and Polian. We should be so lucky to get someone like them. No BS, just good solid men who made their teams so much better.
    Very nice input, as usual my friend.

Thanks for the names.
    I have been snooping around and only have come up with Ron Wolf.
    My level of knowledge on these guys is pretty limited.

Again, thanks.

Mine is too...but living in NY all I get is Giants and Jets. George Young did a great job for the Giants...and Bill Polian built the Bills in the 80's and is still going strong with the Colts.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

If you do a search for Minnesota Vikings General Manager.
    Rob B's name comes up quite a few times.
    On one of the links that claims he's a GM, points you to the vikings.com website:

http://www.vikings.com/TeamFrontOffice.aspx

His offiicial title is VP of Football Operations with the following responsibilities:

In his current role, Brzezinski works closely with Head Coach Brad Childress and Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman on all football-related strategic planning and roster decisions. Brzezinski is also responsible for management and strategic planning of the salary cap, negotiation of player contracts, football operations and administration, team operations, medical and training staff, equipment, video, and player development. He has also represented the Vikings at the League meetings.
    He's clearly not a GM in the sense that you are referring to in this thread, but he is the closest thing we have by role definition.
    Be curious to know who had the biggest influence in selecting Childress. Rob's specialty is clearly in managing the cap.
    How active is he in other areas?

I agree that a solid GM that had a strong NFL background should be a big plus for this organization, if for nothing else to help understand who is truly responsible for the decisions being made.

Triangle's, committees or groups are fine for input, but hard for accountability.
    The current triangle no doubt has a personality that drives most of the big decisions.
    Wilf may make the final choice, but due to his inexperience in the NFL, he is listening to someone.
    Is it Brad, Rob, Rick, his son?
    Who knows, but thats the point right.
    A strong GM that has accountability to a franchise trying to reinvent itself sounds like a good idea.

On the flip side, good GM's are probably as rare as good QB's?
    Last thing you want is a flake running the show and screwing things up any more.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    On one of the links that claims he's a GM, points you to the vikings.com website:

His offiicial title is VP of Football Operations with the following responsibilities:

In his current role, Brzezinski works closely with Head Coach Brad Childress and Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman on all football-related strategic planning and roster decisions. Brzezinski is also responsible for management and strategic planning of the salary cap, negotiation of player contracts, football operations and administration, team operations, medical and training staff, equipment, video, and player development. He has also represented the Vikings at the League meetings.
    He's clearly not a GM in the sense that you are referring to in this thread, but he is the closest thing we have by role definition.
    Be curious to know who had the biggest influence in selecting Childress. Rob's specialty is clearly in managing the cap.

I agree that a solid GM that had a strong NFL background should be a big plus for this organization, if for nothing else to help understand who is truly responsible for the decisions being made.

Triangle's, committees or groups are fine for input, but hard for accountability.
    The current triangle no doubt has a personality that drives most of the big decisions.
    Wilf may make the final choice, but due to his inexperience in the NFL, he is listening to someone.
    A strong GM that has accountability to a franchise trying to reinvent itself sounds like a good idea.

Last thing you want is a flake running the show and screwing things up any more.
    Maybe that's the simple reason they want it that way.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I have been on the GM soap box this week and have several eye opening PM's as well as a couple of replies in the threads that suprised me.

I contend that alot of issues and missunderstandings by the fan base can be directly traced to the fact that this owner doesn't have a General Manager in place to oversee not only day to day issues but long term/big picture vision stuff as well.
    Your lack of faith in the Pentagon Of Power is.....disturbing.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tastywaves" wrote:

Very nice input my friend.
    Two points.

Love the last paragraph.
    Sometimes you smart guys take my ideas and articulate them so much better.
    Thanks.

Secondly.......First time I had heard of Brzezinski as the GM.

It does appear that he has quite a bit of pull.
    Might help explain how the staff avoids "Big Time" "Proven" vets.

Don't get me wrong, I am of the opinion that the FA crop wasn't the greatest this year, but there were a few (at a pretty high price) that could be had and could have contributed.

Very interesting indeed.
    Again, great input.
    Gives me another reason to label him Bryzcheapski.
    ;D

He is now on my list my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I have been on the GM soap box this week and have several eye opening PM's as well as a couple of replies in the threads that suprised me.

I contend that alot of issues and missunderstandings by the fan base can be directly traced to the fact that this owner doesn't have a General Manager in place to oversee not only day to day issues but long term/big picture vision stuff as well.
    Your lack of faith in the Pentagon Of Power is.....disturbing.

=Z=
    Don't you?

Nothing catostrophic yet, however, some decisions make even me scratch my bald head and ask why.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:

Very nice input my friend.
    Two points.

Love the last paragraph.
    Sometimes you smart guys take my ideas and articulate them so much better.
    Thanks.

Secondly.......First time I had heard of Brzezinski as the GM.

It does appear that he has quite a bit of pull.
    Might help explain how the staff avoids "Big Time" "Proven" vets.

Don't get me wrong, I am of the opinion that the FA crop wasn't the greatest this year, but there were a few (at a pretty high price) that could be had and could have contributed.

Very interesting indeed.
    Again, great input.
    Gives me another reason to label him Bryzcheapski.
    ;D

He is now on my list my friend.
    ;D
    Could very well be the case.
    Almost a conflict of interest to a capologist.
    Like working with a fricken purchasing agent.
    They don't care what they buy, only what price they get it at.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

There should be an option for "Yes- So Marr once again has someone to blame other than Chilly"
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    There should be an option for "Yes- So Marr once again has someone to blame other than Chilly"
    Blame is such a nasty word.

Looking for solutions is a better word (group of words).
    ;D

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Blame is such a nasty word.

Looking for solutions is a better word (group of words).
    ;D
    There you go with that eternal optimism again.

I voted "Yes.
    He would be the guy that was accountable to the ownership, coaches, players and fans... and so Marr could find a better solution at solving the Vikings' problems rather than blame Chilly."
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast