jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Do The Vikings Need A GM?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Wow nice post!

Yes, we do need a GM..

Someone to handle all the business and be smart with it
    Thanks my friend.
    I purposely stayed away from pining on Bryzscheapski in here as I believe it isn't worth muddying the waters and believe the front office guys are purposely holding back CAP dollars last year and the year before for possible use this years off season.

Probably a better group of DE's, WR's or QB's that they might be targeting.

One can only hope.

Again.
    Thanks.
    Rob is doing his job. And doing it well. You are not coined a cap guru for leaving your team with no excess cap room every year. He finds ways to make room in the salary cap, whichever ways possible.

He makes sure that if we want to make a big buy we are able to. Just the quality of players mixed with our coaches fear of big name players *cough cough TO* we haven't been spending.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Being a cap genius isnt gettin us anywhere

We need to spend some of this

Yes I can we have brought in some big names and locked up some great players
    for years but we still have 3-5 GLARING needs

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Wow nice post!

Yes, we do need a GM..

Thanks my friend.
    I purposely stayed away from pining on Bryzscheapski in here as I believe it isn't worth muddying the waters and believe the front office guys are purposely holding back CAP dollars last year and the year before for possible use this years off season.

One can only hope.

Again.
    Thanks.
    Rob is doing his job. And doing it well. You are not coined a cap guru for leaving your team with no excess cap room every year. He finds ways to make room in the salary cap, whichever ways possible.

He makes sure that if we want to make a big buy we are able to. Just the quality of players mixed with our coaches fear of big name players *cough cough TO* we haven't been spending.
    Do you really believe that what happened with TO had any affect on how Coach Childress deals with "Big Name Vets"?

I think that it is all just conjecture by a few skeptical fans that is multiplied by a very small group of quality FA's.
    ;D

He seems to have done pretty good with the guys we have on the team as well as a couple that were brought in by the staff.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Great post. Yes, we absolutely need a GM...and yes, good point about Wilf hiring a coach before a GM?!? That was a big mistake. Whether or not he keeps Childress as HC, he's gotta hire a top-notch football guy as GM...and then the HC can concentrate soly on running the team on the field. Got enough distractions, don't need any more.

Of the characteristics listed in the article, I think Football Knowledge and Strong Communicator are critical. If he possesses those skills, the others will follow. I keep thinking about 2 of the most successful GMs in the NFL, Young and Polian. We should be so lucky to get someone like them. No BS, just good solid men who made their teams so much better.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"VikingMike" wrote:
    Great post. Yes, we absolutely need a GM...and yes, good point about Wilf hiring a coach before a GM?!? That was a big mistake. Whether or not he keeps Childress as HC, he's gotta hire a top-notch football guy as GM...and then the HC can concentrate soly on running the team on the field. Got enough distractions, don't need any more.

Of the characteristics listed in the article, I think Football Knowledge and Strong Communicator are critical. If he possesses those skills, the others will follow. I keep thinking about 2 of the most successful GMs in the NFL, Young and Polian. We should be so lucky to get someone like them. No BS, just good solid men who made their teams so much better.
    Very nice input, as usual my friend.

Thanks for the names.
    I have been snooping around and only have come up with Ron Wolf.
    My level of knowledge on these guys is pretty limited.

Again, thanks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Wow nice post!

Yes, we do need a GM..

Thanks my friend.

One can only hope.

Again.
    Thanks.

Do you really believe that what happened with TO had any affect on how Coach Childress deals with "Big Name Vets"?

I think that it is all just conjecture by a few skeptical fans that is multiplied by a very small group of quality FA's.
    ;D

He seems to have done pretty good with the guys we have on the team as well as a couple that were brought in by the staff.

I do think TO probably left a sour taste in his mouth regarding big name WRs. As they're all nuts. You imply you know otherwise, or I'm wrong for thinking that.

How has chilly 'done good' with his players. How is this team the last two years 'doing good'?
    I think your group of skeptics won't admit our coach is failing, regardless of the situation.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Wow nice post!

Yes, we do need a GM..

Thanks my friend.

One can only hope.

Again.
    Thanks.

;D

I do think TO probably left a sour taste in his mouth regarding big name WRs. As they're all nuts. You imply you know otherwise, or I'm wrong for thinking that.

How has chilly 'done good' with his players. How is this team the last two years 'doing good'?
    I think your group of skeptics won't admit our coach is failing, regardless of the situation.

Marr is just the perpetual optimist... I would be too if I lived in a sunny neighborhood in Florida with a bunch of retirees.

Although he's just being optimistic... It can be frustrating at times.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    Wow nice post!

Yes, we do need a GM..

Thanks my friend.

One can only hope.

Again.
    Thanks.

;D

Seems you took my post as insult.
    I never insult my friend nor do I imply. Sorry if you believe otherwise.

I simply stated an opinion based on your reply.
    I still contend that having alot of CAP in the coffers is nothing more than robbing the fans.
    What good does the money do sitting there?
    Why not sign a DE? Why not sign a QB.

You say it is because the Chiller is afraid of them because of TO.
    I say that is mearly conjecture on your part unless you can give me something solid to change my mind.

Take it one step further.
    Who would you blame if we had a GM, we didn't have a viable option at QB and our pass rush was pathetic?
    The HC or the GM?

"C" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=V4L link=topic=39718.msg673658#msg673658 date=1194979551]
    Wow nice post!

Yes, we do need a GM..

Thanks my friend.

One can only hope.

Again.
    Thanks.

;D

Marr is just the perpetual optimist... I would be too if I lived in a sunny neighborhood in Florida with a bunch of retirees.

Although he's just being optimistic... It can be frustrating at times.
    [/quote]
    Don't try and hijack the thread.

Did you vote?
    Do you have an opinion on the GM issue or are you happy with the Triangle of Authority that very few understand?
    ;D

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not so sure we aren't "reaching" here. Do we need a GM? Yes! Do we have a GM, I don't know. We may except he doesn't have that "title." I'm not so sure that the "Triangle Of Authority" doesn't work. It totally depends on how it is set up. If Brzynski (I know it's probably spelled wrong) is responsible for the money (And personally I think he's done a darn good job and I certainly wouldn't call him a cheapskate) and Speilman is responsible for the draft and Childress the coaching then it could work. (Forget the fact that Childress may be a bad coach.) But if Childress can override everyone than he is the GM or any of the other two. Then it won't work.
    If any of this doesn't make any sense it's because I just can't word it exactly the way I want.
    I know most teams have a GM but I liked the idea of the three working together. I would hate to have a GM come in and be able to override Brsynski's money decisons or a GM who doesn't know squat about scouting override Speilman's decisions. And what I would hate even more is the coach acting like a GM. That has hardly ever worked where it has been tried.
    On this I would would take a "wait and see" attitude until the Childress thing is cleared up.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast