Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    Someone on Rube chat said something about out of state fans not getting an opinion on the stadium issue becaue they wouldn't be the one paying for it. I respectfully disagree, and here are some interesting figures regarding how much money out of state fans do actually spend...

    VIKESSTADIUM tweeted
    Did you know, 40% of Vikings season ticket holders come from outside the Metro Area, with 22% living outside the state of Minnesota?
    VIKESSTADIUM tweeted
    These season ticket holders spend approximately $107 per person outside the stadium on game day.
    VIKESSTADIUM tweeted
    So, of 65K fans, 13K are from out-of-state. And together, they bring $1.39 million in business to Minnesota. This adds up to $11.2 mil\yr.

    $11.2 million per year of money that would NOT be spent in the state of Minnesota without the Vikings.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  2. #2
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re:Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    Seems like a dumb question. There are plenty of out-of-state season ticket holders and out-of-staters drop a lot of money into the pool when they do show up. They need the hotels, restaurants, and usually buy merchandise, etc. They can't just pound down a nuclear burrito and run to the game at the last minute. They are there and dropping boatloads of money in the community.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  3. #3
    raptorman is offline Starter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    207

    Re:Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    NodakPaul wrote:
    Someone on Rube chat said something about out of state fans not getting an opinion on the stadium issue becaue they wouldn't be the one paying for it. I respectfully disagree, and here are some interesting figures regarding how much money out of state fans do actually spend...
    Rube Chat? Just think of the definition of "rube" and take it with a grain of salt. The name of the forum says it all.


    Main Entry: rube
    Pronunciation: \?rüb\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Rube, nickname for Reuben
    Date: 1891
    1 : an awkward unsophisticated person : rustic
    2 : a naive or inexperienced person


    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rube

  4. #4
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re:Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    If someone tweeted it it must be true. :blink:

    I think this topic could fit in one of the many other stadium threads.

    Your entitled to your opinion, and it is valued by me and others. But I certainly hope my state reprasentative values the opinion of it's local residents more than someone that is not a voter or resident in there district.

    I do think though that the state should look at taxing those coming from out of state more to pay for the stadium. Maybe just a 20% excise tax on all tickets purchased outside the state of Minnesota.

    From all the proposals I have seen the money used to build a stadium would come mostly from state residents. I'm still waiting for ND to offer to pitch in.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,023

    Re:Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    Prophet wrote:
    Seems like a dumb question. There are plenty of out-of-state season ticket holders and out-of-staters drop a lot of money into the pool when they do show up. They need the hotels, restaurants, and usually buy merchandise, etc. They can't just pound down a nuclear burrito and run to the game at the last minute. They are there and dropping boatloads of money in the community.
    +1 The pops and I travel down each year to watch at least two games a year. It's been our ritual for the past 6 years now. We spend tons of money on those trips ie. Beer, merchandise, food, hotels, (that damn mystic lake casino), tickets ($175 a apiece for Packer game last year) etc etc....

    I think that counts for something

  6. #6
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,597

    Re:Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    I am from out of country. Does that mean I really don't matter?


    jmcdon00 wrote:
    If someone tweeted it it must be true. :blink:
    Twitter is a credible news source.
    We're bringing purple back.

  7. #7
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re:Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    Me thinks that of those 22% of season ticket holders out of state, that at least half of them are online scalpers...maybe more.

    Regardless I think it is still a dumb question...of course of of state fans matter!

  8. #8
    ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    321

    Re:Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    $11.2 million PLUS the amount of money taken in from the sales of licensed merchandise all throughout the rest of the country...AND world, for that matter.

    I may not be spending my money in the actual state of Minnesota, but it IS contributing, in one way or another.

    Sounds to me, like whoever posted that on Rube chat is just another myopic individual who doesn't want to have their taxes raised in order to keep the Vikings there. Those people can go ahead and make their stand, I guess...but then they'll be bitching about trying to scrape up the cash to go see their Vikings play in another state. Kudos.

  9. #9
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,604
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re:Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    jmcdon00 wrote:
    If someone tweeted it it must be true. :blink:

    I think this topic could fit in one of the many other stadium threads.

    Your entitled to your opinion, and it is valued by me and others. But I certainly hope my state reprasentative values the opinion of it's local residents more than someone that is not a voter or resident in there district.

    I do think though that the state should look at taxing those coming from out of state more to pay for the stadium. Maybe just a 20% excise tax on all tickets purchased outside the state of Minnesota.

    From all the proposals I have seen the money used to build a stadium would come mostly from state residents. I'm still waiting for ND to offer to pitch in.
    Well first of all, the tweets came from www.minnesotamomentum.com. And they are based on the Economic Study done by the MFSC in February of 2009.

    Second, I agree that the representatives responsibility is to that of their voters. And part of that responsibility is to make sure that their voters don't cut off their nose to spite their face. Most voters don't pay attention to the economic ramifications of public subsidies. They just see a tax and rarely look at the long term benefits or costs.

    Third, most of the popular proposals DO NOT use taxes that would only target state residents. In fact, the proposal that Wilf supports the most is the hospitality tax, which would tax hotels and rental cars. The vast majority of both are used by business and out of state visitors, meaning that the state resident would be effected very little. The governor supports a lottery which would benefit the stadiums of the state. This is an elected fund, not a tax, so again those who don't want to participate don't have to.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #10
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re:Do Out of State Fans Matter?

    jmcdon00 wrote:
    If someone tweeted it it must be true. :blink:

    I think this topic could fit in one of the many other stadium threads.

    Your entitled to your opinion, and it is valued by me and others. But I certainly hope my state reprasentative values the opinion of it's local residents more than someone that is not a voter or resident in there district.

    I do think though that the state should look at taxing those coming from out of state more to pay for the stadium. Maybe just a 20% excise tax on all tickets purchased outside the state of Minnesota.

    From all the proposals I have seen the money used to build a stadium would come mostly from state residents. I'm still waiting for ND to offer to pitch in.
    I think you are right that the local residents' opinion should be valued more. However I am going to respectfully disagree with you that out of staters should be charged more. What other franchise does that? People go to NY, down here to FL from out of state to go to games. No one else charges more. They are charged enough for the high cost of the tickets already. Then add the fees associated with using tickethub or any other online agency and they are already being charged too much.

    I am all for them building a new stadium. I want them to stay in MN. But that is a MN thing. No one else is paying for the Marlins new stadium other than Floridians. No one else paid for the two new stadiums in NJ for the Jets and Giants. Actually NY did only because they still hold the NY name. What other state paid for the Cowboys new stadium?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MOVED: State: Man scammed fans on Packers tickets
    By josdin00 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 02:39 PM
  2. State: Man scammed fans on Packers tickets
    By marstc09 in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 02:33 PM
  3. Replies: 67
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 08:29 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 08:42 AM
  5. Out of state Fans!!
    By VikingsM4 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 05:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •