Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Do Our Lineman Fit The Zone-Blocking Scheme

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    A lot of blocking schemes have an element of zone in them.

True zone blocking teams seem to do an awful lot of cut blocking. We do not...

This looks like more of a Chilly hybrid much like the whole offense is a hybrid or a KAO, or in terms I can understand and relate to a CLUSTER floop.
    It's a kick jiggly butt cluster floop offense!
    KACFO....Sounds good to me
    I remember the cluster floop but the kick jiggly butt part i don't think properly depicts our offense.
    ???
    Have you ever heard that quote?

The Chiller said it's a "kick jiggly butt" offense last offseason, which has turned into a joke for obvious reasons.
    I knew we would go down this path, that is why I ended the post the way I did.
    Gonna stick it in here again.

[quote][The "Denver system" isn’t a magical pill that a team can swallow to generate 1500 yard rushers with consistency, but obviously it has been successful for running backs in Denver. One reason it has not been widely adopted is time: it takes time to teach, time to master, and time to get the smaller, more agile offensive linemen that the system requires. If you take zone blocking and try to implement it with 340 pound behemoths, you will probably fail, and for better or for worse, 340 pound behemoths are what you’ll find on a typical offensive line in the NFL.
    /quote]

Hopefully (I know I probably hope for to much) the line will Gel, we will make less mistakes as the line figures out its specific assignments.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Great post. Thank you for the work you put into it.
    The short shuttle and cone drills are measures of quickness, especially with regard to direction change,as opposed to speed. Some people don't have speed but have great quickness. Eg. Chuck Foreman could stop on a dime and go from 0 to full speed in an instant. But he didn't have blazing straight line speed.
    I was surprised to see Marcus Johnson's times. He looks slower!

The zone blocking the Vikings use seems ok to me. They had a good running game. It took half the season to get it going though.
    The first half it seemed like they didn't know where to go or who to block sometimes.Many times the play was stopped from the back side.

I think this line can zone block.I am surprised they don't cut block a little more.But Marrdro's research shows good potential ability in a relatively large line.

The big thing holding them back is pass protection and pre-snap penalties.
    It appears the complexity of the scheme is one possible explanation for the pre-snap penalties.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

That was a great opening post.

Does my memory fail me or didn't we used to run a smaller,more athletic offensive line back when Jerry Burns was the coach? It seems when we had Kalis,Zimmerman and Lowdermilk,McDaniel. etc, that they were put together to run an offense in just that way. I am not sure if the did man blocking then or zone blocking, but everybody was on the San Fran bandwagon.

Then when Dallas started winning championships with all of our draft picks, It seemed that Denny Green,when he got to town, started letting these smaller, faster linemen go in favor of huge linemen that could block like the cowboys ( I don't know if they did man blocking or zone blocking, but i think they were man blocking).

So now are we going through another philosophical shift in what we want in our players physical makeup? We have done the same thing with the defensive lines in the past where we have gone from wanting big, strong guys to plug the holes to smaller,faster guys who could play the gaps.

To me it seems pointless to keep retooling the team to fit a certain trend of body style. I think it is safe to say that Super Bowls have been won with both Man and zone blocking schemes and with both huge,overpowering linemen as well as smaller,more agile linemen. What makes teams successful over the long term is not whether they have a certain kickasstype offense or defense, but that they consistently have the same type of team so they don't spend all of their time like a Bolemic, binging and purging just to get a certain look.

Rattz is offline Rookie

Great post.
    I remember Hutch talking about the change and he said it had been a difficult adjustment.
    I do feel the O-line will be much better this year given more time in the system.

Thanks for making this post. I realized as I read it that my high school coaches use basically the same type of blocking, which makes sense because we always have a size disadvantage that we have to make up for, and so now I have a better understanding of zone-blocking. Also, it was a break in the monotonous boredome that is my spring break.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    Thanks for making this post. I realized as I read it that my high school coaches use basically the same type of blocking, which makes sense because we always have a size disadvantage that we have to make up for, and so now I have a better understanding of zone-blocking. Also, it was a break in the monotonous boredome that is my spring break.
    They never explained any of that to you? You might need new coaches, lol.

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    They never explained any of that to you? You might need new coaches, lol.
    well, I understood it then, but they never referred to it as "zone blocking," and I never really made the connection.
    I kind of just never thought about it. Truthfully, though, I didn't have the best coaches either. Our defense coach was the best, and he specialized in DBs and receivers.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

To me it seems pointless to keep retooling the team to fit a certain trend of body style.
    I guess the old cliche' applies.....
    Its a copycat League.

Anyway, appears that B-chill has the confidence of the owner for the long haul (whatever that equates to).
    That equates to stability within the coaching staff with also solidifies team goals/concepts.

Long story short.......
    shouldn't have to keep retooling
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    To me it seems pointless to keep retooling the team to fit a certain trend of body style.
    Its a copycat League.

Anyway, appears that B-chill has the confidence of the owner for the long haul (whatever that equates to).
    That equates to stability within the coaching staff with also solidifies team goals/concepts.

Long story short.......
    ;D
    That's what they said when we hired Denny Green ;D

If that is what actually happens I will be happy. The whole ownership of the team has been in flux for what seems like 20 years or so and there has not been consistent guidance from the top on how our team should look. That is one thing that I can see as a problem. I personally would like to see wilf set the philosophy of the team and then get a coach that can make the team perform. Then if the coach doesn't work, he can switch one person and not have to retool the team for the next coach to be able to perform. Maybe that is what is happening but it doesn't appear to be.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Its a copycat League.

Long story short.......
    ;D
    That's what they said when we hired Denny Green ;DIf that is what actually happens I will be happy. The whole ownership of the team has been in flux for what seems like 20 years or so and there has not been consistent guidance from the top on how our team should look. That is one thing that I can see as a problem. I personally would like to see wilf set the philosophy of the team and then get a coach that can make the team perform. Then if the coach doesn't work, he can switch one person and not have to retool the team for the next coach to be able to perform. Maybe that is what is happening but it doesn't appear to be.
    Denny had a pretty good/long run.
    Probably the stablest part of the org for 10 years.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl...a/vikings.html

I still contend to this day that we should have promoted Denny to the front office and let Tony take over as HC but that is an aurgument in about 3 other threads on here.
    ;D

I disagree a bit with you on your perception of what is happening.
    I believe they are re-building the whole franchise from the ground up after being run into the ground by our previous owner.

Check out the "Wilf asks for patience in rebuilding" thread.

Some good stuff that highlights that very point as well as viewpoints from the other side of the argument there.
    ;D

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast