Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    look at the the final four teams from last season, they all had the two-back system. we now have a two-back system.
    we already know the coaching staff loves to run the ball, and now we can do it even more with a huge talent in AP as well in Jackson who has legs
    I hear what you are saying and we should have a backfield that takes a back seat to no one in the league. The thing that I worry about, though, is whether AP is a two back system player. Look back to the Herschel Walker trade and see what happened. For his college days and his time with Dallas he was lined up 8 yards deep with a fullback in front of him and he consistently put up hall of fame numbers and didn't split time with anyone. Then we got him,stuck him in the I for a few games and he ran like a beast. Then we decided to put him in a split backfield and took away the fullback and the 8 yard head start and we pretty much wrecked him.(Although he may not have been too stable to begin with).

That is the thing I don't want to see with AP.
    To me he is the type of runner that you commit to and only bring in someone when he needs a break. Just line him up and turn him loose.

Personally I would like to see us trade Chester and let him go somewhere where he can be the big dog and commit 100 % to AP and keep one of the other backs to relieve him when he needs a break.

One way or the other if we can secure a couple of experienced linemen before the season we should have no reason not to have a much better record than last year.
    The trend is to have TWO RBs to share carries...all the good teams are doing it...we will be no different.
    Taylor wore down last season, but now that AP is on the Vikes, he won't have that problem.
    Imagine if the Saints would have gotten rid of Deuce when they got Bush, Bush couldn't have done what he did in the playoffs against the Bores (that long pass catch and run).
    Get used to it, we will have a two-back rotation for the foreseeable future!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

williamsbros9394 is offline Waterboy

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    look at the the final four teams from last season, they all had the two-back system.
    we now have a two-back system.

we already know the coaching staff loves to run the ball, and now we can do it even more with a huge talent in AP as well in Jackson who has legs
    I hear what you are saying and we should have a backfield that takes a back seat to no one in the league.
    The thing that I worry about, though, is whether AP is a two back system player.
    Look back to the Herschel Walker trade and see what happened.
    For his college days and his time with Dallas he was lined up 8 yards deep with a fullback in front of him and he consistently put up hall of fame numbers and didn't split time with anyone.
    Then we got him,stuck him in the I for a few games and he ran like a beast.
    Then we decided to put him in a split backfield and took away the fullback and the 8 yard head start and we pretty much wrecked him. (Although he may not have been too stable to begin with).

That is the thing I don't want to see with AP.
    To me he is the type of runner that you commit to and only bring in someone when he needs a break.
    Just line him up and turn him loose.

Personally I would like to see us trade Chester and let him go somewhere where he can be the big dog and commit 100 % to AP and keep one of the other backs to relieve him when he needs a break.

One way or the other if we can secure a couple of experienced linemen before the season we should have no reason not to have a much better record than last year.

This is a new NFL and you need 2 running backs to keep them not only healthy but to have a change up to counter the defense.
    Think about this both Taylor and Peterson are workhouse backs but both have had durability issues in the past, having a two back system will allow them both to keep healthy much easier.

The thing that im excited about is the change of pace because the thought of taylor's consistent 5, 4, 6, 3 yard runs and when the defense is worn out seeing AD Peterson run over the defenders for a huge run.

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Has anyone spotted Del Rio? I was watching the draft, and when we took another South Carolina receiver I imagined him blowing his head off.

Anyone? :-(

And yes, I know I'm not around enough anymore it's that college thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

MediaLoca is offline Rookie

My cup is More than half full, hope fully our young talent stretches the field for us this season and gives chester and AP more running room!

CHEERS!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I want to see AD develop as a star and feature back, rather than see him split time, but I don't think we should trade Chester Taylor.
    First, Peterson has an injury history, so it's nice to have a reliable backup, Taylor is reliable.
    Second, Taylor's contract isn't very big, so it will be easy for the Vikes to pay him and keep him as a backup.
    Finally, Taylor was a backup to Lewis for a long time, and didn't seem to make a stink there, so hopefully he won't be trying to force his way out before his contract is up if he gets put in the #2 role.
    "williamsbros9394" wrote:
    This is a new NFL and you need 2 running backs to keep them not only healthy but to have a change up to counter the defense.

Think about this both Taylor and Peterson are workhouse backs but both have had durability issues in the past, having a two back system will allow them both to keep healthy much easier.
    Things like this change every year.
    One year you need young QBs.
    The next old journeyman QBs are successful.
    What are people going to be saying next year when the Bears rely on Benson, the Pats on Maroney, San Diego on Tomlinson, and Seattle on Alexander?
    "You need to have one great back - if you split time the offensive line can't develop a rythm."

The best backs don't need another guy:
    the MVP in San Diego, Stephen Jackson, Shaun Alexander, Frank Gore, and some others.
    Teams with two backs have been successful recently because of overall talent and preparation levels.
    With some teams it makes sense, and it may for us.
    But if AD is as good as advertised, Chester "4 yards at a time" Taylor shouldn't get more than 100 carries/season for the rest of his time with us.

When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

My impression was that great players fit any system. That being said. AD fits our system, and hopfully Rice will too. McCauley is a physical corner, which chould fit the Cover 2, but the fact is we just didn't play press coverage a lot last year, so I don't know what to think about him.

With regards to our runningbacks, no one other than Chester and AD needs to even see a carry. Best tandem in the league right now if Chester proves to be a good receiver. Hopefully exeperience will improve the right side of the line and we will simply pound people. I don't want to see MeMo at all actually. Trade him.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I sure HOPE that they fit our system...otherwise why draft them in the first place?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I sure HOPE that they fit our system...otherwise why draft them in the first place?
    Such complexity in such a short post.

You are indeed deep as a well my friend
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Do the new players fit our systems?
    I'm certain that the pentagon of power intentionally picked players that didn't fit into the Vikings' system.
    So, the answer is no.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    *snip*
    In answer to the question posed by the title of this thread, we can only say, "I dunno.
    I sure as fuck hope so, but who the hell knows the day after the draft?"

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast