Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Do the new players fit our systems?

    I have to say I don't ever remember being happier about a draft pick as I am about AP with possibly the exception of when we landed Randy Moss. I was almost in shock when he fell to us and we actually took him.

    My question now is how do you think he will fit into our system and does he compliment the way it is designed or will we need to change the system to get the full potential from him?


    It seems to me from watching him in college that he does his best when lined up deep in the backfield with a fullback leading and just running north and south. Chester was very successful last year running but his style is shiftier,cutting to find the creases in the new zone blocking scheme. Will the line be able to adjust to the different styles of the two runners and allow them both to be successful in our offense?

    I would love to see AP be as productive as Terrell Davis was in Denver. I see a few similarities in how both of them run and Shanahan has been able to get great production out of his backs,who have had different running styles also so I have faith that it can be done. YEEEEEE HAAWWW ;D ;D


    With Rice, I like the potential that he has. I think he can come in and make an immediate impact at his position and really help our team. With his size and physical presence, I would like to think he can come in and be the guy who can run the possession and get those mid range first downs we were missing last year and also be the go to guy in the red zone we used to have in Chris Carter.


    I also like the addition of McCauley in the secondary. He has some great potential and hopefully we can coach him into a successful player who can shut down WR's and get us out of the cellar in pass defense rankings.


    I have been to this point a little disappointed with the current coaching staff. IMO they didn't do as good of a job getting production out of their players and in tweaking the system to take advantage of skillsets as I felt they could have. But the draft has given them some pretty talented young players and if they can get production out of these men, the vikings could have some very happy Sunday's for many years to come. ;D 8)


  2. #2
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,601

    Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

    look at the the final four teams from last season, they all had the two-back system. we now have a two-back system.
    we already know the coaching staff loves to run the ball, and now we can do it even more with a huge talent in AP as well in Jackson who has legs
    We're bringing purple back.

  3. #3
    MetalMike-LoudVike's Avatar
    MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,291

    Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

    Now I am just amped up to find out if the new talent fits the bill. and even more amped for this season ahead of us.
    MMLV
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

  4. #4
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

    We should have a wicked rush offense that will open up the pass game for our WRs....I can't wait till next season ;D ;D

    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

  5. #5
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

    If they didn't, I don't see why we would of drafted them.

  6. #6
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

    not bashing the AP pick, but last year we had two good backs.
    CT ran over 1200 yds, and MeMo had 5.5 ypc (his most merorable run being about 8 yards for a first down, but he plowed through urlacher and two other bears defenders to get it)
    Obviously AP is an upgrade, but i liked MeMo and hopefully he gets some carries next year too.

  7. #7
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

    The way I see it, we won't NEED to have that many WR's on the field next year.. that's one way to get around not having depth at WR


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  8. #8
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

    "gregair13" wrote:
    look at the the final four teams from last season, they all had the two-back system. we now have a two-back system.
    we already know the coaching staff loves to run the ball, and now we can do it even more with a huge talent in AP as well in Jackson who has legs
    I hear what you are saying and we should have a backfield that takes a back seat to no one in the league. The thing that I worry about, though, is whether AP is a two back system player. Look back to the Herschel Walker trade and see what happened. For his college days and his time with Dallas he was lined up 8 yards deep with a fullback in front of him and he consistently put up hall of fame numbers and didn't split time with anyone. Then we got him,stuck him in the I for a few games and he ran like a beast. Then we decided to put him in a split backfield and took away the fullback and the 8 yard head start and we pretty much wrecked him.(Although he may not have been too stable to begin with).

    That is the thing I don't want to see with AP.
    To me he is the type of runner that you commit to and only bring in someone when he needs a break. Just line him up and turn him loose.

    Personally I would like to see us trade Chester and let him go somewhere where he can be the big dog and commit 100 % to AP and keep one of the other backs to relieve him when he needs a break.


    One way or the other if we can secure a couple of experienced linemen before the season we should have no reason not to have a much better record than last year.

  9. #9
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    look at the the final four teams from last season, they all had the two-back system. we now have a two-back system.
    we already know the coaching staff loves to run the ball, and now we can do it even more with a huge talent in AP as well in Jackson who has legs
    I hear what you are saying and we should have a backfield that takes a back seat to no one in the league. The thing that I worry about, though, is whether AP is a two back system player. Look back to the Herschel Walker trade and see what happened. For his college days and his time with Dallas he was lined up 8 yards deep with a fullback in front of him and he consistently put up hall of fame numbers and didn't split time with anyone. Then we got him,stuck him in the I for a few games and he ran like a beast. Then we decided to put him in a split backfield and took away the fullback and the 8 yard head start and we pretty much wrecked him.(Although he may not have been too stable to begin with).

    That is the thing I don't want to see with AP.
    To me he is the type of runner that you commit to and only bring in someone when he needs a break. Just line him up and turn him loose.

    Personally I would like to see us trade Chester and let him go somewhere where he can be the big dog and commit 100 % to AP and keep one of the other backs to relieve him when he needs a break.


    One way or the other if we can secure a couple of experienced linemen before the season we should have no reason not to have a much better record than last year.
    except for the fact that we play the afc west and the nfc east this year (two really hard divisions)

  10. #10
    tb04512's Avatar
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Do the new players fit our systems?

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "gregair13" wrote:
    look at the the final four teams from last season, they all had the two-back system. we now have a two-back system.
    we already know the coaching staff loves to run the ball, and now we can do it even more with a huge talent in AP as well in Jackson who has legs
    I hear what you are saying and we should have a backfield that takes a back seat to no one in the league. The thing that I worry about, though, is whether AP is a two back system player. Look back to the Herschel Walker trade and see what happened. For his college days and his time with Dallas he was lined up 8 yards deep with a fullback in front of him and he consistently put up hall of fame numbers and didn't split time with anyone. Then we got him,stuck him in the I for a few games and he ran like a beast. Then we decided to put him in a split backfield and took away the fullback and the 8 yard head start and we pretty much wrecked him.(Although he may not have been too stable to begin with).

    That is the thing I don't want to see with AP.
    To me he is the type of runner that you commit to and only bring in someone when he needs a break. Just line him up and turn him loose.

    Personally I would like to see us trade Chester and let him go somewhere where he can be the big dog and commit 100 % to AP and keep one of the other backs to relieve him when he needs a break.


    One way or the other if we can secure a couple of experienced linemen before the season we should have no reason not to have a much better record than last year.
    except for the fact that we play the afc west and the nfc east this year (two really hard divisions)
    yeah we have a much harder schedule this year than last year

    Thanks josdin00

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 01:15 PM
  2. Neph works with SC prison systems.
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 06:14 PM
  3. Players adjusting to Childress' Tampa 2 & West Coast systems
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 12:32 PM
  4. it is NOT possible for our players..........
    By zimtwister in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 09:15 PM
  5. players we've met...
    By jiggyjack in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 12:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •