Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

DL help on front burner

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

the Vikings will have the chance to restock their front four with one of the deepest defensive line drafts in recent memory
    Wait a minute! Weren't people saying we had to address the DL 1st because this was one of the deepest WR drafts?

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Wait a minute! Weren't people saying we had to address the DL 1st because this was one of the deepest WR drafts?
    If you believe the mock drafts, DL is going to be heavily picked over in the 1st rnd. I can't recall many mocks that have a lot of receivers going ahead of us. There should be WR talent left in the second.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    IDK about that...looks like we could see almost all defense go before our pick in the first, and if our choice is between the 5th or 6th or worse DT vs. the 1st or 2nd WR, I think we're likely better off going WR first and looking for the sliding DT in the 2nd. There are several teams picking after us in the first who are also looking for WR, and several teams in front of us in the 2nd who will be looking at WRs due to the fact that they went with Defense or OT or QB in the first. While teams that already tagged a DT in the first, likely won't be going back to that well again soon.

Besides that, we did OK with our rotation at DT last year and have all of them under contract, but were far from OK with our WRs.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    IDK about that...looks like we could see almost all defense go before our pick in the first, and if our choice is between the 5th or 6th or worse DT vs. the 1st or 2nd WR, I think we're likely better off going WR first and looking for the sliding DT in the 2nd. There are several teams picking after us in the first who are also looking for WR, and several teams in front of us in the 2nd who will be looking at WRs due to the fact that they went with Defense or OT or QB in the first. While teams that already tagged a DT in the first, likely won't be going back to that well again soon.

Besides that, we did OK with our rotation at DT last year and have all of them under contract, but were far from OK with our WRs.
    The WR's we have under contract is Jenkins, Burton, Wright & Harvin who may or may not play this year for the Vikings. Without Harvin, the corp looks bleak.

Childs is also listed on the roster, but after his injuries last off-season it would be a tough climb to become a premier WR.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    If you believe the mock drafts, DL is going to be heavily picked over in the 1st rnd. I can't recall many mocks that have a lot of receivers going ahead of us. There should be WR talent left in the second.
    If a lot of DL will be taken early & a lot of WR left at 23rd. It's all the more rason to take a WR with our first pick as we would get a steal at #23 on one of the top WR's who would otherwise be gone.

ShowingMyHorns is offline Training Camp
    I think the 1 thing that teams look at that fans don't is the 2014 draft as well. while its hard to predict, it gives you a better idea for the future and what is ideal this year. with guys like clowney and tuitt coming out next year, and on from there the DL is pretty loaded again. However, i don t see the same at receiver. Thats just my 2 cents. So i bet we take a WR with our 1st round pick.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    2013 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

Although I'm leaning toward WR in the first, I could be real happy with something like this...

BIG John Hankins of Ohio in the first is a beast against the run, likely BPA if he's there, and we may have the rotation to keep him "fresh" later in games (his biggest weakness.) And, landing Justin Hunter in the 2nd could be a hell of a steal. Without that torn ACL in 2011, he'd most likely be a 1st round pick with his size/speed combo of 6'4" and running an official 4.44 40. Perhaps, Adrian can give him some ideas for offseason training to help finish his recovery and give him even more speed/burst back...?

The mock goes on to add Baccari Rambo at Safety in the 3rd, and then an ILB, Kico Alonso and QB depth in Dysert in the 4th. IF Rambo is worthy, it'd sure be fun to cheer for that name in our secondary!!

But, I think I'd rather see a vet QB brought in to compete for no.2, and spend that 4th on another WR or CB. After the numbers they put up, I don't see it falling the way he has the 4th right now, but My choices would be Ryan Swope at WR with our first 4th, and Jon Bostic at ILB with our later 4th. Both guys ran great 40s, and more importantly, great 3-cone times, and come from good programs with tons of production on tape.

IF we nailed a draft like that: fixing Run D by upgrading NT and MLB, improving the all important 2 of our Tampa-2, and adding a pair of fast wideouts with decent hands and good experience...WOW, I think we might have a chance to win this division!?!???

BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! SKOL VIKINGS!!! I LOVE THE "OFFSEASON!"
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I already said last year that this year would be deep defensively and that we should have drafted skill players on offense or a CB last year.Marty was really the guy who wanted to go DT but then again I believe he would like us to take a warpig with every pick in every draft.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I already said last year that this year would be deep defensively and that we should have drafted skill players on offense or a CB last year.Marty was really the guy who wanted to go DT but then again I believe he would like us to take a warpig with every pick in every draft.

lol.

If marty ran the team, our starting lineup would look like:

DE: Griffen
    DT: Pat Williams
    DT: Pat WIlliams clone
    DE: Griffen Clone
    OLB: Greenway Clone
    MLB: Chris Claiborne
    OLB: Greenway
    FS: Harrison Smith
    SS: Sanford
    CB: Cedric Griffin
    CB2: Cedric Griffin Clone (i've only included a second DB position to keep the formation balanced, otherwise Marty would probably opt for the 5-5-1 formation on defense, with the third tackle being Guion)

K: Walsh
    P: Someone other than Kluwe

QB: Brad Johnson
    RB: Peterson
    FB: Tahi
    TE: Shiancoe in 2007
    LT: Kalil
    LG: David Dixon (Current, not in his prime)
    C: Sullivan
    RG: David Dixon (not clone, he'll just play both positions)
    RT: Ryan Cook
    WR: Vincent Jackson
    WR: Vincent Jackson Clone

Head Coach: Childress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast