Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MuzikQ is offline Training Camp

Dixon might be back as backup

Free-agent offensive lineman David Dixon made a brief appearance this weekend at Winter Park and is expected to sign a workout waiver later this week. The agreement would allow him to participate in conditioning work and drills but he would be ineligible for minicamp practices, which begin Friday.

The Vikings have replaced Dixon, 36, at right guard after eight seasons as the starter there. Chris Liwienski has shifted to the position, and coach Mike Tice will hold a training camp competition at Liwienski's old left guard spot. Tice said Dixon will be re-signed if he demonstrates during informal drills that he can back up both tackle and guard positions.

If not, Dixon will return only if a veteran suffers an injury during training camp.

Local angle

Three former Gophers highlighted the list of 13 college free agents who agreed to terms Sunday night with the Vikings. Defensive backs Ukee Dozier and Justin Fraley, along with offensive lineman Rian Melander, are all expected to be in uniform for this weekend's minicamp at Winter Park.

Other free agents with local ties include kick returner Mike Nordyke (Bemidji State) and quarterback John Bowenkamp (North Dakota).

Meeting of minds

Amid rumors the Vikings were hoping to replace him, Corey Chavous met last week with Tice to discuss his status. But Chavous' job appears safe after the Vikings failed to draft a player that could challenge him as starting strong safety.

"We had a great conversation," Tice said. "We talked about how we'd like to get him back to where he was two years ago, when he was more productive, and to be one of the leaders of our football team."

Chavous' interception total dropped from eight in 2003 to one in 2004, and the Vikings targeted Georgia linebacker/safety Tommy Davis as a possible rookie replacement. But Davis went to Carolina with the No. 11 overall pick Saturday.

The Vikings already have replaced free safety Brian Russell by signing free agent Darren Sharper, and Chavous is assuming nothing.

"You have to be prepared for anything," said Chavous, who is entering the final year of his contract. "I understand it's a business and whatever happens, happens. I've been able to see some of that throughout the offseason. ... For now, I'm happy to be a Viking."

James' history

Fans will have to pardon new Vikings defensive end Erasmus James for his lack of knowledge about team history. He attended Wisconsin, the Gophers' Big Ten rival. And he was born in 1982, three years after the last of the Purple People Eaters played for the Vikings.

"When I first came here last week, I had no idea about the Purple People Eaters," he said. "I was walking down the hallways [at Winter Park], saw the pictures and asked a lot of questions. When they explained to me what the Purple People Eaters did, I was like, man, if I came here, I think there is a lot of things that we could do special here."

Etc.

• Seventh-round pick Adrian Ward became the final part of this trivia question: Who did the Vikings get for trading wide receiver Randy Moss? The Vikings chose Ward, a cornerback who might return kicks, with the second of two draft picks from Oakland. In total, Moss brought Ward, wide receiver Troy Williamson and linebacker Napoleon Harris.

• James is the third defensive lineman to be drafted in the first round by the Vikings in as many years. He will compete to start alongside other No. 1 picks Kenechi Udeze (2004) and Kevin Williams (2003).

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Dixon might be back as backup

I hope that he is back, he had his best season ever last year and after all the injuries last year any body on the O line helps.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

i hope he doesnt play back up, he is awsome

Dixon would be a great back-up. He's a consistent, solid player. He could teach the young guys something. I'd love to have him back.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I have never figured out why tice has been so eager to get rid of him the last 3 years?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

It would be awsome to have Dixon as a back-up. He is a good player with a great desire to play the game. We could use some strong depth on the o-line.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

MuzikQ is offline Training Camp

vikes have a alot of backup players dont they...

ajefx is offline Rookie

"MuzikQ" wrote:
    "When I first came here last week, I had no idea about the Purple People Eaters," Erasmus James said. "I was walking down the hallways [at Winter Park], saw the pictures and asked a lot of questions. When they explained to me what the Purple People Eaters did, I was like, man, if I came here, I think there is a lot of things that we could do special here."
    Damn I'm falling in love with this guy.

And yeah, Dixon would definitely be appreciated if he came back. Last year, with all the injuries to the o-line, I thought we could have used Lewis Kelly, a guy that was cut in training camp but had been with us for a while. Even if Dixon's just depth, we need him.
    <<Hates Ted Cottrell with a passion

Pbvikingsfan Guest

man I really like Dixon big ol' behind...i hope hes back...give him a chance to win a ring in Minny too..

and Im lovin James more and moire every day, seems like a real good fit...

ajefx is offline Rookie

oh yeah, just remembered this

two years back we were whooping up on SF (with Frerrotte under center, no less) and Dixon was doing a damn fine job of keeping Gus protected. The announcer said, "The 49ers cannot handle Big Dix!"

Quite possibly the best line ever used in a football game.
    <<Hates Ted Cottrell with a passion

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast