Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54
  1. #21
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    "Frostbite" wrote:
    Interesting take....I respect your thoughts here folks but at what point do you ask the players (Offense) to step up and make some plays? Here's an example from yesterday...The Pass that Henderson is defending on is a T.D....which would have made it 21-7 at that point. It was a good adjustment play call but T.J. didn't try a longer lob style pass for the reciever to run under...which Henderson could not have gotten a hand on.

    On the other hand....punting the ball away on 4th down and 11 trailing by 10 with less than 5 minutes left on the Dallas 47 I think it was....was also a bad coaching decision. Might as well just take the team into the locker room early and conceed the loss. That showed lack of character and winning desire in my humble opinion.

    Even that whole series was messed up....The time to use running most was right there when we had great field position. Why not let T.J. role out and scramble if it was open in that situation instead of calling a pass play and having him try to be a pocket passer....which he obviously isn't comfortable with?? These calls and non-imaginative offense I will blame on the O-coordinator and Chilly.

    With that said....I go back and think about the ROCKET pass to A.D. which if thrown with a bit less heat he might have caught and still been running down field with?? Again...this is execution not coaching from the sidelines.

    JMHO

    Cheers!
    Good post. One thing I would like to clarify since I haven't seen it mentioned. The pass to AD was incomplete because Petersons foot slip on the fields surface as he was adjusting to the ball.If you get to see the play again, and I haven't. I think you will see his foot or feet slide about 6 to 10 inches. With sure footing he may have caught that ball.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  2. #22
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    Hmmmmm,
    ever wonder why they aren't coaching anymore?

    Parcells got burned out....
    Gimme a break.
    That team is doing better without him and with Son of Bum coaching them.

    As for Ditka.
    I think his style kindof made him pretty much a unusable commodotiy in todays game.
    His stance of use him till he's used up is the prime reason he isn't coaching any more.

    As for the competence of the Chiller.

    I would challenge any coach to come in and assume what he had, then throw in an 85% turnover of players with mostly rookies and see how that happens.


    I know the "What about GB" crowd will resurface, as I see they have already chimned in, but I don't think you can quiet compare TJ and Favreeeeee at this point nor can you compare Driver and T-will at this point.


    Give the man a chance to at least coach a game with quality players on the field that also have some sort of a resume for playing other than as backups on a NFL team or as Collegiate athletes.

    As for the crowd that will answer with...."He picked em", I haven't heard one of you answer my question with respect to understanding how a real NFL organization works.

    Childress doesn't pickem.
    He has a say for sure, but ultimately he is as much stuck playing this crowd as we are watching it.

    Again, I would challenge any of these two coaches or anybody for that matter to make game time decisions with a team that can't even execute with any kind of consistency.

    That kind of stuff leads a coach to make a honest decision to punt a ball on 4th and 11, pin them deep (on the 1 if memory serves) with time left on the clock, trust his D, who by the way had been shutting the other Offense down in the second half and give them the ball back with good field position, which they did, and let the inept offense try again.

    Comeon people.
    I can understand some of the posters comments in this thread, it is commenplace and expected, but a couple of you I am suprised at.

    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #23
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,540

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmmmm,
    ever wonder why they aren't coaching anymore?

    Parcells got burned out....
    Gimme a break.
    That team is doing better without him and with Son of Bum coaching them.

    As for Ditka.
    I think his style kindof made him pretty much a unusable commodotiy in todays game.
    His stance of use him till he's used up is the prime reason he isn't coaching any more.

    As for the competence of the Chiller.

    I would challenge any coach to come in and assume what he had, then throw in an 85% turnover of players with mostly rookies and see how that happens.


    I know the "What about GB" crowd will resurface, as I see they have already chimned in, but I don't think you can quiet compare TJ and Favreeeeee at this point nor can you compare Driver and T-will at this point.


    Give the man a chance to at least coach a game with quality players on the field that also have some sort of a resume for playing other than as backups on a NFL team or as Collegiate athletes.

    As for the crowd that will answer with...."He picked em", I haven't heard one of you answer my question with respect to understanding how a real NFL organization works.
    Childress doesn't pickem.
    He has a say for sure, but ultimately he is as much stuck playing this crowd as we are watching it.

    Again, I would challenge any of these two coaches or anybody for that matter to make game time decisions with a team that can't even execute with any kind of consistency.
    That kind of stuff leads a coach to make a honest decision to punt a ball on 4th and 11, pin them deep (on the 1 if memory serves) with time left on the clock, trust his D, who by the way had been shutting the other Offense down in the second half and give them the ball back with good field position, which they did, and let the inept offense try again.

    Comeon people.
    I can understand some of the posters comments in this thread, it is commenplace and expected, but a couple of you I am suprised at.
    ;D
    They have more rings than ANY Vikings coach... ever.

    And I think it's acceptable to retire when you're pushing into your 70's... don't think you can argue that.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  4. #24
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    How could this guy be so dense? It is so sad to think that if we had a coach like McCarthy or Gruden, this same team would be so much better.
    :'(
    : McCarthy started coaching the Packers at the same time Childress did. He brought in a new playbook, he's got a team littered with rookies who are catching balls, making plays, blocking for Brett & making him look like a great QB again.

    Did I forget to mention the Packers are also 5-1?
    Yes, not only are they 5-1 and playing well, they are improving. He is working the O around his players. Ahman Green is gone, no problem, Favre will throw more, which opens up the running game. The guy has some smarts. Childress has a weapon that comes along once in a lifetime, and he sits him on a game-ending drive and gives him 12 touches in a tight game. His 5-year plan is getting very old with me. I want to see improvement in the offensive game...now, not 2 or 3 years from now.

    Singersp, you would know better than I...is Childress's playbook so voluminous that it is difficult to grasp?
    The Vikings playbook is huge, I heard and interview a month or so ago and the player...can't remember who it was right now, said it was like three huge phone books.
    How big is the average playbook in the NFL?

    My question regarding GB is how are they going to look when Favre finally walks the plank?
    It's nice to have a franchise QB in place that makes things like an O-line look better than they are.
    Favre is very good at a quick release and can obviously read defenses.
    Huge difference.
    Green Bay isn't as good as their record would indicate. Swap quarterbacks between the Vikings and Pack and Childress would be the genius and McCarthy the dunce. Unfortunately, Childress gets to wear the pointy hat until TJ removes it from his wardrobe.

    The playbook is always big when it is drawn using crayons! LOL!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  5. #25
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmmmm,
    ever wonder why they aren't coaching anymore?

    Parcells got burned out....
    Gimme a break.
    That team is doing better without him and with Son of Bum coaching them.

    As for Ditka.
    I think his style kindof made him pretty much a unusable commodotiy in todays game.
    His stance of use him till he's used up is the prime reason he isn't coaching any more.

    As for the competence of the Chiller.

    I would challenge any coach to come in and assume what he had, then throw in an 85% turnover of players with mostly rookies and see how that happens.


    I know the "What about GB" crowd will resurface, as I see they have already chimned in, but I don't think you can quiet compare TJ and Favreeeeee at this point nor can you compare Driver and T-will at this point.


    Give the man a chance to at least coach a game with quality players on the field that also have some sort of a resume for playing other than as backups on a NFL team or as Collegiate athletes.

    As for the crowd that will answer with...."He picked em", I haven't heard one of you answer my question with respect to understanding how a real NFL organization works.

    Childress doesn't pickem.
    He has a say for sure, but ultimately he is as much stuck playing this crowd as we are watching it.

    Again, I would challenge any of these two coaches or anybody for that matter to make game time decisions with a team that can't even execute with any kind of consistency.

    That kind of stuff leads a coach to make a honest decision to punt a ball on 4th and 11, pin them deep (on the 1 if memory serves) with time left on the clock, trust his D, who by the way had been shutting the other Offense down in the second half and give them the ball back with good field position, which they did, and let the inept offense try again.

    Comeon people.
    I can understand some of the posters comments in this thread, it is commenplace and expected, but a couple of you I am suprised at.

    ;D
    Haha, discrediting two hall of fame coaches because they don't coach anymore, gimme a break.

    Talent-wise, the Vikings are better on offense than the Packers are. You mention Favre vs. TJ and Driver vs. TWill, but not AD vs. Wynn, Taylor vs. Jackson, or any of our OL. Not to mention people expecting Wade and Shiancoe to prove their worth this year.

    The bottomline is, if Childress really wants a player, he has the power to go out and get him. No excuses.

    If you want to defend bad coaching decisions go ahead, but I for one can't wait till the day that you crack, because at this pace, Childress is going down the tubes. I hope he gets his act together, but have seen little to believe he can.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  6. #26
    nephilimstorm's Avatar
    nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,184

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    The Vikings have never won a Super Bowl that is understood. Why do us Viking fans love to push that issue when everyone already knows..? Thats why they have a season year after year, to see who will be crowned champion. Hopefully, one day it will be the mighty Minnesota Vikings.

  7. #27
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Hmmmmm,
    ever wonder why they aren't coaching anymore?

    Parcells got burned out....
    Gimme a break.
    That team is doing better without him and with Son of Bum coaching them.

    As for Ditka.
    I think his style kindof made him pretty much a unusable commodotiy in todays game.
    His stance of use him till he's used up is the prime reason he isn't coaching any more.

    As for the competence of the Chiller.

    I would challenge any coach to come in and assume what he had, then throw in an 85% turnover of players with mostly rookies and see how that happens.


    I know the "What about GB" crowd will resurface, as I see they have already chimned in, but I don't think you can quiet compare TJ and Favreeeeee at this point nor can you compare Driver and T-will at this point.


    Give the man a chance to at least coach a game with quality players on the field that also have some sort of a resume for playing other than as backups on a NFL team or as Collegiate athletes.

    As for the crowd that will answer with...."He picked em", I haven't heard one of you answer my question with respect to understanding how a real NFL organization works.
    Childress doesn't pickem.
    He has a say for sure, but ultimately he is as much stuck playing this crowd as we are watching it.

    Again, I would challenge any of these two coaches or anybody for that matter to make game time decisions with a team that can't even execute with any kind of consistency.
    That kind of stuff leads a coach to make a honest decision to punt a ball on 4th and 11, pin them deep (on the 1 if memory serves) with time left on the clock, trust his D, who by the way had been shutting the other Offense down in the second half and give them the ball back with good field position, which they did, and let the inept offense try again.

    Comeon people.
    I can understand some of the posters comments in this thread, it is commenplace and expected, but a couple of you I am suprised at.
    ;D
    They have more rings than ANY Vikings coach... ever.

    And I think it's acceptable to retire when you're pushing into your 70's... don't think you can argue that.
    At the beginning of the season, wasn't Parcells talking up Mangini, the 2006 AFC Coach of the Year?
    How are the Jets doing now BTW?

    Last year, there were a lot of people on this site complaining that we could have had Mangini.
    Or we could have had Linehan.
    After all, they both were having better first years... Some other posters tried saying that you can't judge a HC by his first year, but few would listen.

    Wait until the end of this season.
    If Childress is still posting a losing record, then I am ready to judge him...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #28
    pixie is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    37

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    Right now the only decision I am 100% willing to label as stupid by Childress is the QB one.
    Even if Jackson proves to be a fantastic quarterback, we needed to have a good veteran quarterback on this time to start the season.... not only for the QB position itself, but for the rest of the team.


    I believe talented QB's that are past their prime have many great uses, one of which is to help groom a team that is rebuilding.
    Not only can they help the rookie QB learn, but they can also help the WR because they are good enough where they can get the ball into their hands without the WR needing to adjust a great deal while they get accustomed to the speed of the NFL.... then once that is under a WR's belt, they can learn how to adjust.
    You have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

    This team is very close to being great, or at least looks like it could be.
    Having a veteran QB at the helm to anchor the team and help groom it for the future would have helped us out in a number of ways.
    The fact that we aren't in that position is because of stupid decisions and like it or not, I ultimately place the blame with Childress.

  9. #29
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    "pixie" wrote:
    Right now the only decision I am 100% willing to label as stupid by Childress is the QB one.
    Even if Jackson proves to be a fantastic quarterback, we needed to have a good veteran quarterback on this time to start the season.... not only for the QB position itself, but for the rest of the team.


    I believe talented QB's that are past their prime have many great uses, one of which is to help groom a team that is rebuilding.
    Not only can they help the rookie QB learn, but they can also help the WR because they are good enough where they can get the ball into their hands without the WR needing to adjust a great deal while they get accustomed to the speed of the NFL.... then once that is under a WR's belt, they can learn how to adjust.
    You have to learn to crawl before you can walk.

    This team is very close to being great, or at least looks like it could be.
    Having a veteran QB at the helm to anchor the team and help groom it for the future would have helped us out in a number of ways.
    The fact that we aren't in that position is because of stupid decisions and like it or not, I ultimately place the blame with Childress.
    That is a very fair statement.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #30
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,540

    Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    At the beginning of the season, wasn't Parcells talking up Mangini, the 2006 AFC Coach of the Year?
    How are the Jets doing now BTW?

    Last year, there were a lot of people on this site complaining that we could have had Mangini.
    Or we could have had Linehan.
    After all, they both were having better first years... Some other posters tried saying that you can't judge a HC by his first year, but few would listen.

    Wait until the end of this season.
    If Childress is still posting a losing record, then I am ready to judge him...
    I can agree with that. I'm just afraid to see what that record is going to be.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Ditka still a vikings hater
    By oaklandzoo24 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 10:00 PM
  2. Ditka blasts former bosses
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 01:18 PM
  3. Childress rights Vikes' ship
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 01:23 AM
  4. Get down with Ditka
    By enlvikeman in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 09:19 PM
  5. DITKA AND JOHNSON MENTIONED
    By TMAC604 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2005, 06:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •