Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

Just saw commentary on Monday Night Countdown from Ditka and Parcells.
    Ditka said Peterson should be on the field as much as he could stand and the offense should revolve around him.
    Like it did for Walter Payton.
    He also called Childress stupid.
    His words.
    Parcells immediately chimed in and agreed.
    See it for yourself.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Ditka/Parcells on Vikes and Childress

How could this guy be so dense? It is so sad to think that if we had a coach like McCarthy or Gruden, this same team would be so much better.
    :'(
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

While I think you have to give a new coach a few years to implement his system, I think it is safe to say the honeymoon is over with Brad Childress.

He is taking flak from all sides right now. I give him one more bad year and they will pull the plug.

I think his biggest mistake was thinking Jackson was ready to be their QB and not doing anything to upgrade the QB situation during the offseason. But he REALLY looks like he is in way over his head in the NFL.

"SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Angel_Martin" wrote:
    While I think you have to give a new coach a few years to implement his system, I think it is safe to say the honeymoon is over with Brad Childress.

He is taking flak from all sides right now. I give him one more bad year and they will pull the plug.

I think his biggest mistake was thinking Jackson was ready to be their QB and not doing anything to upgrade the QB situation during the offseason. But he REALLY looks like he is in way over his head in the NFL.

I say if we don't finish the season better than 6-10 he should be gone.
    No improvement whatsoever...

At most the guy gets 3 years total to get us a playoff win, otherwise definitely gone.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"Angel_Martin" wrote:

Sean Payton may disagree with you. Even if the last year was a fluke, he still took a team from the bottom to the top. We have more talent than New Orleans. With the exception of Drew Brees. No reason we could not have a season like that as well.

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

Hind sight is always 20-20. I wonder how these same 'great coaches' reacted when they started (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Pa...ew_York_Giants on Bill Parcell's first year with the Giants..
    In his first year, he made a controversial decision to bench Phil Simms in favor of Scott Brunner. The result was a disastrous 3-12-1 season during which the Giants seriously considered bringing in University of Miami head coach Howard Schnellenberger to replace Parcells
    Let Childress run the show the way he knows how. He is in his 2nd year coaching and definitely learning (not saying he is not making mistakes). The Bill Parcell's and the Ditka's can call him stupid all they want but I am sure these same coaches faltered too when they started and I still remember Parcell's inability to win a play off game with Dallas - a coach who was hired to take Dallas over that hump in 4 years...
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Pa...ew_York_Giants
    Parcells would finish his Dallas stint with a mediocre 34-32 record and zero playoff wins.
    And for the others that jump on this as an opportunity to castigate Childress... it was only their opinion and as we know everyone is entitled to one.
    Again I am not comparing Childress to Parcells, just saying they just have opinions like everyone and theirs is not written in stone

Frostbite is offline Coach

Interesting take....I respect your thoughts here folks but at what point do you ask the players (Offense) to step up and make some plays? Here's an example from yesterday...The Pass that Henderson is defending on is a T.D....which would have made it 21-7 at that point. It was a good adjustment play call but T.J. didn't try a longer lob style pass for the reciever to run under...which Henderson could not have gotten a hand on.

On the other hand....punting the ball away on 4th down and 11 trailing by 10 with less than 5 minutes left on the Dallas 47 I think it was....was also a bad coaching decision. Might as well just take the team into the locker room early and conceed the loss. That showed lack of character and winning desire in my humble opinion.

Even that whole series was messed up....The time to use running most was right there when we had great field position. Why not let T.J. role out and scramble if it was open in that situation instead of calling a pass play and having him try to be a pocket passer....which he obviously isn't comfortable with?? These calls and non-imaginative offense I will blame on the O-coordinator and Chilly.

With that said....I go back and think about the ROCKET pass to A.D. which if thrown with a bit less heat he might have caught and still been running down field with?? Again...this is execution not coaching from the sidelines.

JMHO

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

Well Italian.........he has no QB, and that would be just about impossible to overcome no matter who the coach is. To his credit, I think he has drafted fairly well and they have added RB Peterson and WR Rice who are both playmakers - we still need even more.

I DO blame him for the QB fiasco though because just about anyone would have been better than what he have right now.

I expect us to have a top ten draft pick when all is said and done. We need to draft a QB, then trade or pick up a veteran QB and we should be significantly better.
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingMike" wrote:
    How could this guy be so dense? It is so sad to think that if we had a coach like McCarthy or Gruden, this same team would be so much better.
    :'(
    : McCarthy started coaching the Packers at the same time Childress did. He brought in a new playbook, he's got a team littered with rookies who are catching balls, making plays, blocking for Brett & making him look like a great QB again.

Did I forget to mention the Packers are also 5-1?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"mblack76" wrote:
    Hind sight is always 20-20. I wonder how these same 'great coaches' reacted when they started? Let Childress run the show the way he knows how. He is in his 2nd year coaching and definitely learning (not saying he is not making mistakes). The Bill Parcell's and the Ditka's can call him stupid all they want but I am sure these same coaches faltered too when they started and I still remember Parcell's inability to win a play off game with Dallas.
    And for the others that jump on this as an opportunity to castigate Childress... it was only their opinion and as we know everyone is entitled to one.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on some things, but there is absolutely NO imagination in his play calling...he's supposed to be the offensive genius, but he doesn't try to mold the O around his players. He insists on doing it the other way around. That's not the mark of an intelligent coach...he is clueless. So few touches by AP is totally unforgivable...and who in his right mind is allowing Wade to fair-catch inside the 10 yard line. These are stupid, brainless plays that a good coach corrects. The 3 plays following the fair catch at the 6 were laughable...and were the beginning of the end. But the biggest error of all was thinking that TJ could do it without any help from a good veteran QB.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast