Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Discussion of the new power structure.

So now Wilf did what many wanted in naming a GM, but IMHO he stopped short of what was really necessary and I can see a potential for a serious malfunction in this new format.

Whether or not Spielman was the right man for the job I agree 100% that a GM was necessary to move the team forward.The part that I feel will cause problems is that Spielman does not have complete control over the coach and the coaching staff.

Why is this a problem? Lets take a look at how the process works.

Spielman is now in charge of building the roster to be more stable than it was under Childress and to keep the team stocked with competitive talent year after year. Normally what would happen is the GM would have a vision that would be shared by the owner on how the team would look, what kind of schemes they would run, and what talent they would bring in to fit that set of standards.

However, Spielman has no direct power over the coaching staff and Frazier reports to Wilf, not Spielman. This can create tension and potential subordination issues. Now I can see where we may have problems with Spielman bringing talent to fit his vision of how he wants the team to look and Frazier not wanting that talent because he has a different vision of what he wants the talent he has to do.

And in the end, when the time comes that the players do not fit what the coaches want talent wise, the coaches will not be as effective or productive.

It seems to me that the only right way to set Spielman up to succeed is to give him the power to control both the players and the coaching staff rather than splitting up the accountability like they have it now.

And in the end we still have a Triangle Of Authority in that Wilf still controls the coach, Spielman controls the roster and Frazier controls the coaching staff. It seems more like a managerial circle jerk than a formula for SB success.

Formo is offline Team Alumni
    GM is necessary from a fan's standpoint because we know who to blame. And I wanted one as well.

But here's what I didn't want.. For the organization to promote from within a broken structure to a system that's even more broke. You nailed it on the head, this will be nothing more than a managerial circle jerk. They should have gone the way of a GM PRIOR to hiring a full-time HC. But, this is the Vikings brass we are talking about here, we do shit backwards 'round dese parts..

Ok, sorry. Just venting. The Triangle of Authority worked with limited success because the 3 parts were all active. When you remove one of them (ie, the firing of Chilly), you have no one from within the organization to look up to for leadership outside of Zigy and brothers. And unless he's going to assume the GM role, that just won't work.

I have a horrible feeling that we haven't seen the worst of it. Damnit.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    sounds like its gonna have the potential to be a clusterfuck

This move is designed to do one thing and one thing only...the fans want a GM and they gave them a facad of a GM in order to make us happy, while all the while keeping the same power structure and adding little to no extra costs/ risks.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by battleaxe4cheese View Post
    This move is designed to do one thing and one thing only...the fans want a GM and they gave them a facad of a GM in order to make us happy, while all the while keeping the same power structure and adding little to no extra costs/ risks.
    And if that is the case and it is failing so obviously, how much does it say about their ability to come up with a strategy to compete with the other front offices across the league?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    So now Wilf did what many wanted in naming a GM, but IMHO he stopped short of what was really necessary and I can see a potential for a serious malfunction in this new format.

Whether or not Spielman was the right man for the job I agree 100% that a GM was necessary to move the team forward.The part that I feel will cause problems is that Spielman does not have complete control over the coach and the coaching staff.

Why is this a problem? Lets take a look at how the process works.

Spielman is now in charge of building the roster to be more stable than it was under Childress and to keep the team stocked with competitive talent year after year. Normally what would happen is the GM would have a vision that would be shared by the owner on how the team would look, what kind of schemes they would run, and what talent they would bring in to fit that set of standards.

However, Spielman has no direct power over the coaching staff and Frazier reports to Wilf, not Spielman. This can create tension and potential subordination issues. Now I can see where we may have problems with Spielman bringing talent to fit his vision of how he wants the team to look and Frazier not wanting that talent because he has a different vision of what he wants the talent he has to do.

And in the end, when the time comes that the players do not fit what the coaches want talent wise, the coaches will not be as effective or productive.

It seems to me that the only right way to set Spielman up to succeed is to give him the power to control both the players and the coaching staff rather than splitting up the accountability like they have it now.

And in the end we still have a Triangle Of Authority in that Wilf still controls the coach, Spielman controls the roster and Frazier controls the coaching staff. It seems more like a managerial circle jerk than a formula for SB success.
    The same crap as before. The Wilfs in the decision making circle, where they don't belong. A GM without any real authority. And a lame-duck coach.

I'm liking the Wilf's less and less as time goes by....

Caine