Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

A different catch for the Fish?

GREEN BAY - The Miami Dolphins have called the Green Bay Packers to inquire about trading for backup running back Najeh Davenport, two NFL sources said Monday.

But the Dolphins, who are scrambling to find a starting halfback in the wake of Ricky Williams' stunning retirement, might have a hard time prying Davenport away. The Packers would want a high-round draft pick that would escalate even higher if Davenport reaches certain productivity levels.

In 18 games last season, Davenport, 25, rushed for 483 yards and two touchdowns on 93 carries. He also emerged as the team's No. 1 kickoff returner late in the season, averaging 31.6 yards on 16 returns.

A fourth-round draft pick out of Miami (Fla.) in 2002, Davenport grew up in the Miami area and makes his offseason home there. He will be a restricted free agent after the 2004 season.

Even though the Packers have three-time Pro Bowl halfback Ahman Green as their starter, they would be reluctant to trade Davenport because of his role in the offense and on special teams.

In 2002, when Davenport suffered a season-ending eye injury, Green wore down late in the season. But last year, with Davenport and Tony Fisher spelling him, Green rushed for a franchise-record 1,883 yards and 15 TDs during the regular season.

Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman was not available for comment Monday, but Sherman has admitted to fielding - and turning down - trade offers for Davenport in the past, so the Dolphins' interest is hardly a surprise.

While the Packers would prefer to get a high-round draft pick for Davenport, they would also be interested in Dolphins defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, one source said. But a trade including the unsigned restricted free-agent seems unlikely, even though the Packers would love to have another accomplished pass rusher to complement Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Ogunleye, who led the AFC with 15 sacks last season, wants a long-term contract worth more than the seven-year, $37.3 million contract Gbaja-Biamila received in April 2003.

Two of the Packers' NFC North Division rivals, the Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings, expressed interest in Ogunleye during free agency, and each team has a surplus of halfbacks.

The Bears, who signed free agent Thomas Jones to be their starter, could offer Anthony Thomas to the Dolphins, while the Vikings have Onterrio Smith, Moe Williams and rookie Mewelde Moore behind starter Michael Bennett.

But Davenport, at 6-foot-1 and 250 pounds, runs with a physical style similar to Williams (5-10, 225) and fits the Dolphins' idea of what a running back should be.

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins also have contacted the Oakland Raiders, who have Amos Zereoue, J.R. Redmond, Troy Hambrick, Justin Fargas and Chris Hetherington behind starter Tyrone Wheatley.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

If the pack could get Adewale for davenport it would be a steal and the first good thing done all offseason. It would definately not bode well for the vikes.

My prediction. Barring the bears being completely unreasonable the A train starts in Miami this year.
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: A different catch for the Fish?

"TEXPACK" wrote:
    GREEN BAY - The Miami Dolphins have called the Green Bay Packers to inquire about trading for backup running back Najeh Davenport, two NFL sources said Monday.

But the Dolphins, who are scrambling to find a starting halfback in the wake of Ricky Williams' stunning retirement, might have a hard time prying Davenport away. The Packers would want a high-round draft pick that would escalate even higher if Davenport reaches certain productivity levels.

In 18 games last season, Davenport, 25, rushed for 483 yards and two touchdowns on 93 carries. He also emerged as the team's No. 1 kickoff returner late in the season, averaging 31.6 yards on 16 returns.

A fourth-round draft pick out of Miami (Fla.) in 2002, Davenport grew up in the Miami area and makes his offseason home there. He will be a restricted free agent after the 2004 season.

Even though the Packers have three-time Pro Bowl halfback Ahman Green as their starter, they would be reluctant to trade Davenport because of his role in the offense and on special teams.

In 2002, when Davenport suffered a season-ending eye injury, Green wore down late in the season. But last year, with Davenport and Tony Fisher spelling him, Green rushed for a franchise-record 1,883 yards and 15 TDs during the regular season.

Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman was not available for comment Monday, but Sherman has admitted to fielding - and turning down - trade offers for Davenport in the past, so the Dolphins' interest is hardly a surprise.

While the Packers would prefer to get a high-round draft pick for Davenport, they would also be interested in Dolphins defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, one source said. But a trade including the unsigned restricted free-agent seems unlikely, even though the Packers would love to have another accomplished pass rusher to complement Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.

Ogunleye, who led the AFC with 15 sacks last season, wants a long-term contract worth more than the seven-year, $37.3 million contract Gbaja-Biamila received in April 2003.

Two of the Packers' NFC North Division rivals, the Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings, expressed interest in Ogunleye during free agency, and each team has a surplus of halfbacks.

The Bears, who signed free agent Thomas Jones to be their starter, could offer Anthony Thomas to the Dolphins, while the Vikings have Onterrio Smith, Moe Williams and rookie Mewelde Moore behind starter Michael Bennett.

But Davenport, at 6-foot-1 and 250 pounds, runs with a physical style similar to Williams (5-10, 225) and fits the Dolphins' idea of what a running back should be.

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins also have contacted the Oakland Raiders, who have Amos Zereoue, J.R. Redmond, Troy Hambrick, Justin Fargas and Chris Hetherington behind starter Tyrone Wheatley.

From the sounds of things, the dolphins are sounding kind of cheap in all their talks. They are eventually gonna have to overpay somebody for a RB, or get stuck with their crappy guys and FA james stewart.

I think loosing davenport would be a big loss for the pack. They need to get more than a draft pick for him, not because I think he is worth more, but because that is what they will need. Green is a hard punishing runner, and that style can get hurt often. Also the packers like to keep green fresh by running davenport and fisher. I am not that high on fisher, and think it could really hurt the pack to trade davenport, especially if green were to get hurt.

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

A little known fact is that Green is asthmatic. He absolutely must be spelled. I agree, as tempting as it would be to trade Davenport it would be a large blow to the Packers and what made their offense successful. Of course, on the other hand if the defense could hold teams to under 18 points I think the Packers have plenty of offense to get to the superbowl with or without Davenport.

I think the salary cap will have to be massaged creatively to make this deal work out for the Packers. Next year would be a different story.

My guess is Thomas from Chicago. They are quietly building a potent defense for next year. Give credit to Lovie if he gets it done there.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Would the Pack package Davenport and a pick (maybe a 3rd rounder) for Ogunleye? Or package Davenport and McKenzie for Ogunleye (and maybe a 3rd rounder)?

I've said all along that I think Davenport is the best fit for the Dolphins. If the Bears aren't that wild about A-Train, I don't know why the Dolphins would be.

The Fins might just have to suck it up for a year, see who gets cut near the end of training camps, and sign Edgerrin James in the offseason.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

With Edgrin James saying he wouldn't mind playing in Miami and being an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

I see the fins working a deal for the A-train and waiting to see if the can get James in the off-season.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

A train is pretty good. as good of a back up that you'll find. While najeh has pretty decent averages 5.5 ypc he only had 77 carries and woth those 77 carries 4 fumbles. he hasn;t proved he can carry a game and I think that he would be a big mistake and miami was looking at Davenport to say look we can get dav for just this much. But Sherm in his ultimate wisdom overvalues every player on his staff wants the world for dav. don't see miami taking him unless no one else will give anyone up.
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Davenport gained over 400 yards last seaons in limited duty. Remember, this is in addition to Ahman gaining all the yards he did. Davenport is a stud. Just keep him out of the closet.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Davenport gained over 400 yards last seaons in limited duty. Remember, this is in addition to Ahman gaining all the yards he did. Davenport is a stud. Just keep him out of the closet.

I am betting that no vikes fans gets that closet joke LA. I wouldn't have either if I wouldn't have read patty's post from yesterday about it.

"TEXPACK" wrote:
    A little known fact is that Green is asthmatic. He absolutely must be spelled. I agree, as tempting as it would be to trade Davenport it would be a large blow to the Packers and what made their offense successful. Of course, on the other hand if the defense could hold teams to under 18 points I think the Packers have plenty of offense to get to the superbowl with or without Davenport.

I think the salary cap will have to be massaged creatively to make this deal work out for the Packers. Next year would be a different story.

My guess is Thomas from Chicago. They are quietly building a potent defense for next year. Give credit to Lovie if he gets it done there.
    Wow Green is asthmatic he sure dosent show it. Imagine the numbers he could put up if he wasnt to bad he wasnt a viking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast