Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Did Tjack make significant improvements?

"bleedpurple" wrote:

not sure if you watch the games on tv but the announcer was saying how TJ was also dealing with his daughter having a pace maker put in during the first two games, but didn't tell anybody and most of his teammates still don't know... so that is also a reason to cut him some slack...

Chilly probably did know this and decided to bench him in the process as well so he could take care of his personal business...
    I heard that and as a parent that was enough for me. If he was going through that there is no job that he could have that would be more important and for me it erases everything that happened at the beginning of the season.

I am still not sold on him long term at this point but I certainly understand if his performance was impacted by what his child was going through.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

[size=14pt]Past is history; look to the future that was Sunday [/size]
    [size=12pt]Sure, the Vikings threw another one away. But in the middle of that mess was Tarvaris Jackson, looking every bit the part of a starting QB.[/size]
    Possession is nine-tenths of the law. On Sunday, it was one-tenth of the Vikings' game plan.

In their 24-17 loss to Atlanta, we saw the same ol' Vikings choking away another big game. If you kept your eye on the bouncing ball, though, you might have missed the new Tarvaris Jackson grabbing hold of his future.

While the same ol' Vikings were double-dribbling their way toward oblivion, the new Jackson was introducing himself to the Metrodome crowd.

While the same ol' Vikings were bobbling the football as if it was coated with bleu cheese, fumbling seven -- seven! -- times, the new Jackson was putting a firm tackle on the starting quarterback job.

On a day they left their playoff fate in doubt, the Vikings might have found some certainty at the game's most important position, even while they were flopping around like Will Ferrell in a vat of olive oil...
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/36550814.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:a ULPQL7PQLanchO7DiU
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I like this.

Sometimes the best thing for a player is benching him.
    He obviously knew his chances were getting slimmer and he had something to prove.

Good job TJ!

Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

"jmcdon00" wrote:

Jackson first 8 starts
    98/186 52.7% 1034yds 3tds 9int 15sacks QB rating 54.6 28rushes 141yds 2td
    Jackson last 8 starts
    133/221 60.2% 1458yds 7td 6int 14sacks QB rating 78.59 49rushes 241yds 2td
    The question should probably be, "Did TJack improve in his last 2-1/2 games compared to the first two of the season?"
    The answer is undoubtedly YES!
    I was a serious doubter.
    It looks like he might prove me wrong, and I'd be happy!
    You can not deny he has clearly improved.
    Let's hope he can work on his reading of "Ds" and his receiver progressions.
    He also needs to work on protecting the football, as well as protecting himself.
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I like this.

Sometimes the best thing for a player is benching him.
    He obviously knew his chances were getting slimmer and he had something to prove.

Good job TJ!
    That is exactly why I was hoping Chilly would have benched AD UNTIL the beginning of the 2nd half vs. Atlanta.
    Taylor could have carried the rest of the 1st half load, and AD could have used the time ti think about his "fumblitis".
    It worked for TJack!
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "purplehelmut" wrote:
    At this point I'll take my chances with a QB who can run to get out of trouble and keep a play alive than a guy who would have trouble outrunning the Statue of Liberty.
    Gus also has a proclivity to throw pics and take sacks.
    TJ or bust baby!
    not sure if you watch the games on tv but the announcer was saying how TJ was also dealing with his daughter having a pace maker put in during the first two games, but didn't tell anybody and most of his teammates still don't know... so that is also a reason to cut him some slack...

Chilly probably did know this and decided to bench him in the process as well so he could take care of his personal business...

AND the entire team was playing like crap early on in the season... so all of the above i think contributed to the spotty play... and the predictable play calling didn't help either!!
    I caught that too, but I thought that was later in the season, not necessarily in the first two weeks.

And the "predictable play calling" excuse is still BS.

I think TJack was putting too much pressure on himself, and the benching, along with his daughter, may have put some things in perspective for him.
    I think he has definately shown us something that he didn't have in the first two games.
    yeah, she was saying it was during the first two weeks and that was weighing on him as well as putting alot of pressure on himself...

and to the playcalling...we'll agree to disagree... clearly in my opinion, the playcalling was opened up/different when we went to Gus, and 2. it has been better the past 8 weeks or so... noone is crying about how predictable we are or what not!!.. and we are not going shotgun throwing deep with the best runner in the NFL on 3rd and 1 either....
    As I stated before, Childress stated that the playbook was opened up as THE TEAM was able to execute the plays.

"Learn one thing first before moving on" was something close to what he said. It would have happened that way whether Jackson was never benched or if Gus had started the entire season.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "purplehelmut" wrote:
    At this point I'll take my chances with a QB who can run to get out of trouble and keep a play alive than a guy who would have trouble outrunning the Statue of Liberty.
    TJ or bust baby!

AND the entire team was playing like crap early on in the season... so all of the above i think contributed to the spotty play... and the predictable play calling didn't help either!!
    I caught that too, but I thought that was later in the season, not necessarily in the first two weeks.

I think TJack was putting too much pressure on himself, and the benching, along with his daughter, may have put some things in perspective for him.
    I think he has definately shown us something that he didn't have in the first two games.
    yeah, she was saying it was during the first two weeks and that was weighing on him as well as putting alot of pressure on himself...

and to the playcalling...we'll agree to disagree... clearly in my opinion, the playcalling was opened up/different when we went to Gus, and 2. it has been better the past 8 weeks or so... noone is crying about how predictable we are or what not!!.. and we are not going shotgun throwing deep with the best runner in the NFL on 3rd and 1 either....
    As I stated before, Childress stated that the playbook was opened up as THE TEAM was able to execute the plays.

"Learn one thing first before moving on" was something close to what he said. It would have happened that way whether Jackson was never benched or if Gus had started the entire season.
    I didn't hear that, but i'm not buying it.. so you mean to tell me after ALL of training camp ,and preaseason, TJack who's been here for 3 years, has a limited playbook for the first 2 games, but all of a sudden Gus Frerotte who's been here all of 6 months, comes in on the 3rd game and all of a sudden the "TEAM" is ready to start executing more plays...??...

C'mon man!! you don't even believe that!!... the team didn't trust TJ obviously to call a different game plan, and/or, they heard the media gripping on them and the fire this guy / that guy chants and decided to just let it go.... or maybe someone else is calling the plays, or whatever.. something happened between that 2nd game and 3rd game and it was for the better... everyone can see that!!!...

it's clearly been questionable at times, but overall, since week 3 a helluva lot better than the first 2 years and 2 games....

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    [quote author=purplehelmut link=topic=49068.msg883531#msg883531 date=1229983071]
    TJ or bust baby!

I didn't hear that, but i'm not buying it.. so you mean to tell me after ALL of training camp ,and preaseason, TJack who's been here for 3 years, has a limited playbook for the first 2 games, but all of a sudden Gus Frerotte who's been here all of 6 months, comes in on the 3rd game and all of a sudden the "TEAM" is ready to start executing more plays...??...

C'mon man!! you don't even believe that!!... the team didn't trust TJ obviously to call a different game plan, and/or, they heard the media gripping on them and the fire this guy / that guy chants and decided to just let it go.... or maybe someone else is calling the plays, or whatever.. something happened between that 2nd game and 3rd game and it was for the better... everyone can see that!!!...

it's clearly been questionable at times, but overall, since week 3 a helluva lot better than the first 2 years and 2 games....

[/quote]

It came right from Childress' mouth. I said it earlier that I didn't believe Gus knew the playbook better than Gus. It goes beyond just the QB's.

QB's aside, there were new players on our team still learning their roles as well. Also we had an O-line still learning that complicated blocking scheme. Not to mention Hicks was playing instead of McKinnie.

Rice & Berrian were also not 100% healthy those first two games & Rice got injured again.

For a play to be executed properly, every team member has to perform his role. Not just the QB's.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=bleedpurple link=topic=49068.msg883537#msg883537 date=1229983387]
    [quote author=purplehelmut link=topic=49068.msg883531#msg883531 date=1229983071]
    TJ or bust baby!

[/quote]

It came right from Childress' mouth. I said it earlier that I didn't believe Gus knew the playbook better than Gus. It goes beyond just the QB's.

QB's aside, there were new players on our team still learning their roles as well. Also we had an O-line still learning that complicated blocking scheme. Not to mention Hicks was playing instead of McKinnie.

Rice & Berrian were also not 100% healthy those first two games & Rice got injured again.

For a play to be executed properly, every team member has to perform his role. Not just the QB's.
    [/quote]

I honestly don't remember that quote from Childress...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    [quote author=NodakPaul link=topic=49068.msg883540#msg883540 date=1229983570]
    [quote author=bleedpurple link=topic=49068.msg883537#msg883537 date=1229983387]
    TJ or bust baby!

[/quote]

[/quote]

I honestly don't remember that quote from Childress...
    [/quote]

It pays to read the articles.

It was there & was in a thread discussing Gus' performance & calling audibles. I'll see if I can find it again. I quoted it more than once.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast