Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Dez White: A new beginning

Posted on Sat, Jul. 29, 2006

[size=18px]White eager to have Dome cheering for him[/size]

JON KRAWCZYNSKI

Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. - Dez White knows all about playing in the Metrodome.

White spent the first four seasons of his career playing for the Chicago Bears, which meant an annual trip to one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL.

After signing with the Vikings on Thursday, the veteran receiver said it will be nice to have the purple faithful on his side for a change. But he still doesn't expect to be able to communicate very easily.

"It'll be good to not be able to hear because they're cheering for me," White said Saturday at Vikings training camp.

Whether he ever plays in a regular season game for the Vikings remains to be seen. White joins a crowded receiver corps that has 12 players in camp, including Koren Robinson, Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson and Troy Williamson topping the depth chart.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said teams usually keep about five receivers on the active roster, meaning there isn't much room for the rest of the players fighting for a spot.

"We wanted great competition," Bevell said. "We bring Dez White in here to give guys competition."

Entering his seventh season, White is coming off a disappointing season in Atlanta that ended when he was placed on injured reserve in December with a sprained knee. He said he chose to come to Minnesota because he is familiar with the offense the Vikings will run and was impressed by the coaching staff.

"I've run pretty much the same offense for the last five years," White said. "It made it a lot easier for me because then I wouldn't be so far behind in camp."

The Vikings liked White's experience - only 10-year veteran Marcus Robinson has logged more time among the team's receivers.

"He brings that veteran leadership," Bevell said. "He's been through it before. He knows the ins and outs of the game. He's savvy offensively. ... Again, we'll have to see how far he can progress."

---

BEATING THE HEAT: Temperatures again soared into the 90s on Saturday, but at least one of the Vikings rookies who was in camp was ready for it.

Defensive end Ray Edwards spent most of July working out in Phoenix to get ready for the physical strain that comes in the sweltering August heat.

The fourth-round draft pick out of Purdue said he followed the workout plan of Tampa Bay star defensive end Simeon Rice, who started his career in the desert with the Arizona Cardinals.

"This past month we had off, I went and worked out down there in that heat, 120 degrees, to get myself ready to become a great defensive end like he is," Edwards said.

The 21-year-old Edwards is the youngest player in camp. He left after his junior season at Purdue, and the Vikings like his size and speed.

"He is a very talented, talented young man," defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said. "His measurables are exciting. ... We're excited about him, but it's just the beginning for Ray Edwards."

---

CENTER OF ATTENTION: Second-round draft pick Ryan Cook could be seeing time at a number of positions during training camp.

Drafted as a center out of New Mexico, the 6-foot-7 Cook may be a tad too tall for the spot and could wind up playing tackle.

With former Pro Bowler Matt Birk returning from hip surgery and veteran Jason Whittle backing him up, the Vikings can afford to move Cook around.

"Right now, he's penciled in there at the center spot, but he has great athletic ability," Bevell said. "During this camp, we may see him swing out to right tackle. We may be able to find opportunities for him to compete and see what he can do for us."

Jon Krawczynski can be reached at [email protected]

White eager to have Dome cheering for him

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

BEATING THE HEAT: Temperatures again soared into the 90s on Saturday, but at least one of the Vikings rookies who was in camp was ready for it.

Defensive end Ray Edwards spent most of July working out in Phoenix to get ready for the physical strain that comes in the sweltering August heat.

The fourth-round draft pick out of Purdue said he followed the workout plan of Tampa Bay star defensive end Simeon Rice, who started his career in the desert with the Arizona Cardinals.

"This past month we had off, I went and worked out down there in that heat, 120 degrees, to get myself ready to become a great defensive end like he is," Edwards said.

The 21-year-old Edwards is the youngest player in camp. He left after his junior season at Purdue, and the Vikings like his size and speed.

"He is a very talented, talented young man," defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said. "His measurables are exciting. ... We're excited about him, but it's just the beginning for Ray Edwards."

I keep liking what I'm hearing about Edwards.If he even becomes 1/10th the player Rice is I'll be happy.Rice is a monster.I like that he is this focused at such a young age.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

this will be good, he does have some speed to him and he could be playing above Williamson if he doesn't step it up this year!!!!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

120 degrees...I'd die.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Wow! 8 receivers competing for one spot. May the best man win.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"TheAnimal93" wrote:
    Wow! 8 receivers competing for one spot. May the best man win.
    Should make for some really great competitions......May the best , move on...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12