Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Dez White: A new beginning

[size=18px]A new beginning[/size]
    White tries to re-establish career after battling injury bug

By Chad Courrier
    The Free Press

MANKATO —
    Quarterback Mike McMahon doesn’t generally pay much attention to the opposition’s offense during a game, rather concentrating on what the defense is doing. But as a backup with the Detroit Lions from 2001-2004, he remembers one name very clearly.

“The (public-address announcer) kept saying ‘Dez White makes another reception, Dez White makes another reception,’” McMahon said. “That guy killed us quite a bit. He’s definitely a good player.”

White, who was with the Chicago Bears during those years, signed with the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday and participated in two workouts Friday with rookies and other selected veterans at Minnesota State.

Knowing that he was going to be available late in free agency, White, 26, figured there would be a limited number of teams interested in signing him. So the receiver was happy when the Vikings showed interest because he’s familiar with the offense, which is similar to the one he learned the last two seasons at Atlanta.

“The terminology is the same, but Atlanta runs it differently, they run everything around (quarterback Michael Vick),” said White, who joined the Vikings rookies and selected veterans in a 65-minute workout Friday at Minnesota State in Mankato. “I knew my learning curve wouldn’t be as steep.”

White, 6-foot-1 and 215 pounds, joined the Bears as a third-round draft choice in 2000 and had four productive seasons in Chicago, catching 155 passes and scoring eight touchdowns. His best season was 2002 when he made 51 receptions for 656 yards with four touchdowns.

He signed with Atlanta in 2004, and his numbers dropped off to 30 receptions for 370 yards and two scores. Last season, he suffered a preseason hamstring injury that limited his playing time, making only two catches for 25 yards before his season ended with a knee injury in December.

“I just want to get re-established,” he said. “I’m a little rusty right now because I haven’t been on the field since December.”

That’s one of the reasons the Vikings had White report earlier than other veterans, who arrive on Sunday. White is the 12th receiver on the roster, though the team lacks a clear No. 1 receiver.

“I’m a guy who has experience,” White said. “I make plays in the clutch, turning small plays into big plays. I’m an effort guy.”

White remembers the intensity of the rivalry between the Vikings and Bears, and he’s looking forward to being on the other side.

“I’m still familiar with a lot of the guys (on the Bears’ roster),” White said. “Going against them is going to be a challenge.”

A new beginning

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Dez White: A new beginning

Not a bad aquisition. The guy is a veteran and he is a decent WR. So, with 12 on the roster I am hoping by the time cuts come around that we have a very solid (maybe not flashy) corp or WR's.

Good move.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Not a bad aquisition. The guy is a veteran and he is a decent WR. So, with 12 on the roster I am hoping by the time cuts come around that we have a very solid (maybe not flashy) corp or WR's.

Good move.
    I agree. Dez should add some reliability, and he may end up being a damn solid no. 2 reciever.
    -Sno

darkflood is offline Starter

Even if he doesn't become a number 2 or 3 receiver, hopefully he'll push the other receivers to be better. And a receiver losing numbers when going to Atlanta doesn't surprise anyone does it? Especially in the Ron Mexico era.
    WELL, I LL ASK HIM, BUT I DON T THINK HE WILL BE VERY KEEN. UH, HE S ALREADY GOT ONE, YOU SEE.

boognish is offline Coordinator

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

Good move.
    I agree. Dez should add some reliability, and he may end up being a gol 'darnit solid no. 2 reciever.
    More likely he'll be a damned solid no. 5 receiver :wink: .
    I am a dipshit!!!

DoubleDown11 is offline Pro-Bowler

Oh great, another "Derrick Alexander" all over again.

Our WR's stink, but then again there has not been a Super Bowl champ w/ a big name WR since the Rams........ must think positive....
    something witty and comical... followed by genuine sarcasm.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

You have to look at the QB's he's had throwing him the ball. Vick? No wonder he was so bad lately. I don't blame him. Maybe with a more accurate passer he can succeed. We'll have to see.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    You have to look at the QB's he's had throwing him the ball. Vick? No wonder he was so bad lately. I don't blame him. Maybe with a more accurate passer he can succeed. We'll have to see.
    Brad's gonna make everyone look good this season. Now, I've been wrong before, but things are seeming to fall into place around here. If its not Dez, it will be another of the 12 pairs of freakin hands on the roster right now. Brad just needs someonte to be on the other end of his passes.
    -Sno

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

I don't even know if he's going to be around that long. We're pretty stock at WR from 1-4. We probably just picked him up for competition. Either way he's still a solid guy.
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

better than billy mcmullen =)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast