Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sirweeze View Post
    And I realize those aren't criticisms exclusive to McNabb. But... the playcalling seems to indicate that Musgrave/Frazier/whoever seems to think they have Brady or Brees back there with so many short passes in critical scenarios.

I agree the WR situation shouldn't be understated, but it's a two way street. I'm curious as to what the consensus opinion is on Eli Manning these days. Most think he's average at best but I can't help but think of 2009, when he had The Other Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, rookie Hakeem Nicks and Kevin Boss as his main targets (a bunch of nobodies at the time)... and he still put up 4000+ yards, 27 TDs and only 14 picks. Even a DECENT quarterback can make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Hell, McNabb did it for years in Philly with guys like Todd Pinkston and FredEx Freddie Mitchell. Those days are long gone though.
    I was listening to Pete Bercich on the radio and he made a comment that many times on film there were guys open down field ( not specifically 3rd down) but DM was checking down to the short routes even when he wasn't pressured.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I was listening to Pete Bercich on the radio and he made a comment that many times on film there were guys open down field ( not specifically 3rd down) but DM was checking down to the short routes even when he wasn't pressured.
    Posted this exact thought in another thread after the KC game. Additionally as soon as Ponder got in the other night in a very lopsided game we almost immediately saw pass plays greater than 10yds. I think that McNabb hit the proverbial wall.........at speed......with no safety belt. Its sad.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I wasn't saying its the be-all end-all, just an insight as to why he wasn't as successful as he could have been.
    I wasn't talking about you, but I here that stat tossed out by a lot of people/analysts.

My reply was to the 3rd down conversion stat in general & in regards to any & all QB's & not McNabb specifically.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Several of those incompletions were drops by the receiver & not the fault of the QB. Most recently the drops by Shianco & Berrian in last Sundays game.

Not saying that McNabb did't suck, he did. But simply changing QB's doesn't fix those drop issues.
    Several? Comeon, maybe a "Few" would be a better word.

Have our recievers dropped balls? Sure, but put yourself in their shoes, when they come out of their breaks they are looking for the ball in a certain area. Very FEW times does Dnabb put it in that area, especially when the reciever is on the move.

Heck, he doesn't even get it in the right area when they aren't moving.

On a side note, that was a hell of an article. I wish the author would have taken the time (if he had the data) and included the time Dnabb had to make those throws.

I'm not saying he hasn't had pressure cause he has, but he has also had more than enough time to make almost all but a "FEW" of his throws this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Several? Comeon, maybe a "Few" would be a better word.
    I'll stand by several. A few is 3 or 4. There were two in the 1st 2 drives of last weeks game alone.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sirweeze is offline Starter
    On a side note, that was a hell of an article. I wish the author would have taken the time (if he had the data) and included the time Dnabb had to make those throws.

I'm not saying he hasn't had pressure cause he has, but he has also had more than enough time to make almost all but a "FEW" of his throws this year.
    Thanks! I would have included that info if I had it, can't find it anywhere though

There are a lot of aspects to what's led to McNabb's benching, I just wanted to bring one to light in better detail

sirweeze is offline Starter
    Just to keep this going, I'm gonna keep track of Ponder on third down the same way I did McNabb. Only two starts, I know, but I couldn't help myself.

Tiger Woods Fist Pump: Christian Ponder On Third Down

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'll stand by several. A few is 3 or 4. There were two in the 1st 2 drives of last weeks game alone.
    The one to Shanc was pretty high. I think I would classify that one as a bad throw. The one to BB, hit him right on the hip. I would say that was a dropped ball.

Several of the others you mentioned in other posts, specifically the deep balls to Berrian, people have already provided signifant data on to prove they were not catchable balls, heck, most were out of bounds.

Quick question, after this weekends performance, you still want to stick my your ascertation about the QB change not "Fixing the Situation"?

Kid looked damn good on third downs. Hell, his average per pass was bigger than Newtons.

Funny how a bunch of "No name/crappy" WR's and a rookie QB that everyone thinks has a weak arm can do as compared to those same WR's and a broke QB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Just to keep this going, I'm gonna keep track of Ponder on third down the same way I did McNabb. Only two starts, I know, but I couldn't help myself.

Tiger Woods Fist Pump: Christian Ponder On Third Down
    Lots of articles out there today that you can pull from.

One thing to mention, even the announcers started to say/comment how the OL was giving him time to throw. Of course they did it in a way that covered their tracks by saying it was only on 3rd downs that they provided good protection.

I for one, watched pretty closely. They were giving him time throughout the whole game.

Doesn't mean he didn't get pressured cause he did. I don't care how good your OL is, they will eventually let someone by. Just ask Brady.
    Last edited by Marrdro; 10-31-2011 at 01:22 PM.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    The one to Shanc was pretty high. I think I would classify that one as a bad throw. The one to BB, hit him right on the hip. I would say that was a dropped ball.
    Are you talking about the drop in the bears game? Because that hit Berrian right in the numbers.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12