singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Despite team's success, Vikings' offense has been spotty

Posted on Thu, Dec. 01, 2005
    From The Mercury News;

[size=18px]Despite team's success, Vikings' offense has been spotty[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Brad Johnson has come to recognize there's no shortage of offensive philosophers at Winter Park.

Since replacing injured starting quarterback Daunte Culpepper almost a month ago, Johnson has patiently listened to countless suggestions from teammates and coaches about the direction of the Vikings' offense.

Running back Mewelde Moore wants to establish the run. Five talented receivers and one confident tight end want more passes thrown their way. And coach Mike Tice wants to throw the ball downfield more.

With the efficiency of his three-step drop, Johnson is quick to dispel the notion there might be internal discord.

Instead, the quarterback rattles off a list of the powerful personalities he has dealt with in his previous 13 NFL seasons. Some pretty demanding fellows.

Cris Carter. Randy Moss. Michael Westbrook. Keyshawn Johnson. Tim Brown. Joey Galloway . . .

"I've been through all that," Johnson said. "At the end of the day, everyone wants to win. And when you win, everyone is happy."

The Vikings are 4-0 with Johnson as their starting quarterback. But with only five games remaining, the Vikings acknowledge they have yet to develop an offensive identity.

The drastic difference between Culpepper and Johnson would be the most obvious reason. But there are more subtle, albeit important, factors:

_The Vikings have started nine different offensive linemen in the past four games.

_Their run offense has been inconsistent.

_Receivers Nate Burleson and Troy Williamson have been out with injuries.

Despite mounting some key scoring drives, the offense slipped one spot to 25th in the NFL over the past month. The team has found other ways to score and thrive during its four-game winning streak.

Running back Michael Bennett paced the offense in Johnson's first start, against the Detroit Lions on Nov. 6. The defense and special teams controlled the game against the New York Giants until Johnson directed a last-minute drive to set up Paul Edinger's game-winning kick. A strong defensive performance and an outstanding second half by Moore and the offensive line propelled the Vikings past the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. On Sunday, the offense enjoyed its most complete performance under Johnson in a victory over the Cleveland Browns.

"I still feel like we're trying to find our identity," receiver Koren Robinson said. "But at the same time, we just have to do whatever works, whether we pound it, throw it or (use) play action."

The dreaded term at Winter Park lately is "West Coast offense," which is heavy on short passes that empower receivers to make plays. Tice has expressed his disdain for the style made famous by Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh and his San Francisco 49ers. But, by most accounts, despite his resistance to being labeled, Johnson is most suited to that style.

Last week, Tice warned that "we need to make sure that as players, coaches and the quarterback, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel and bring some things in from the outside that aren't us."

Johnson said his minor differences with Tice have been resolved.

"There was an inside thing a couple of weeks ago," Johnson said, "and it's all been squared away."

The quarterback and coach are employing a give-and-take approach.

"We have never been a good three-step team here," Tice said, referring to one of the staples of the West Coast offense. "We are trying to work diligently on that because Brad likes that."

Tice said what matters most to him is rhythm, something the Vikings developed last week by mixing in a lot of play-action passes. Although the Vikings have attempted numerous deep passes, Johnson's longest pass in his four starts has netted just 44 yards. And in two games, the longest passes were 26 and 24 yards.

Tight end Jermaine Wiggins doesn't care.

"I've never been in a so-called West Coast offense, so I don't know what it entails. But to me, it's the same thing we've been running since I got here," said Wiggins, who joined the team in 2004. "You can have an identity and not win. So the main thing is, we go out there and take what the defense gives us."

Johnson didn't want to label the offense in any particular way, noting every team "steals plays" from one another.

But in terms of identity, Johnson pinpointed several basic points.

"Staying away from penalties. Staying away from turnovers. Getting to the right play," he said. "We've been efficient a couple of games in the running game and the passing game, and we're close to being explosive. We're not losing ballgames, and we've scored at critical times."

Despite having three receivers who have topped 1,000 yards in the NFL, the Vikings still haven't had anyone top 100 receiving yards for a game. But Johnson isn't worried.

"They're probably the easiest group I've been around," Johnson said.

His tight end is another story.

"He will come to you and say, `I know what will be a good play this week. Y-Dig, Y-Angle, Y-Option might get them,' " Johnson said of Wiggins. "Every play is about Jermaine. A lot of the time he is right. He has a knack for catching the ball and making plays at the right time. You just don't want to have too many conversations with him."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Despite team's success, Vikings' offense has been spotty

i don't care!

Go vikes!!

SamDawg84 Guest

we should get ben watson. he is the 2nd fastest tight end

The key to winning in the playoffs is to improve each week. The Vikings have been doing that and the Lions game this weekend will be another confidence builder.

I live in the St. Louis area and I am surprised how bad the Rams defense is this year. They made the Houston Texans offense look great. This is yet another game to help the Vikings offense improve.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The dreaded term at Winter Park lately is "West Coast offense," which is heavy on short passes that empower receivers to make plays. Tice has expressed his disdain for the style made famous by Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh and his San Francisco 49ers. But, by most accounts, despite his resistance to being labeled, Johnson is most suited to that style.

Super Bowl wins:

Bill Walsh - 3
    Mike Tice - 0

Yeah, Mike, you know better! LOL!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Despite having three receivers who have topped 1,000 yards in the NFL, the Vikings still haven't had anyone top 100 receiving yards for a game. But Johnson isn't worried.

"They're probably the easiest group I've been around," Johnson said.

His tight end is another story.

"He will come to you and say, `I know what will be a good play this week. Y-Dig, Y-Angle, Y-Option might get them,' " Johnson said of Wiggins. "Every play is about Jermaine. A lot of the time he is right. He has a knack for catching the ball and making plays at the right time. You just don't want to have too many conversations with him."

We might have to start calling him ME-maine or Jer-MEne! LOL!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet Guest

Johnson said of Wiggins....You just don't want to have too many conversations with him."
    I love that, he plays ball well, but it sucks to talk to him.

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Everyone likes to see explosive offence, but good defence is what wins championships. Look at the Bucs and the Ravens practically no offence what so ever, still win the big one. I for one would rather see a winning team than some big stats with nothing to show for it.