Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Derek Ross??

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

Derek Ross??

He got released by the Saints too, because he missed his flight after he was claimed off waivers the day after being released by Atlanta.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Derek Ross??

dot com tom from kfan posted this today. Thought it brought some insight into the Tice's thinking on a few issues.

KFAN dot com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Head coach Mike Tice hasn't decided whether enigmatic cornerback Derek Ross, claimed off waivers late Monday, is healthy or dedicated enough to help the Vikings' depleted secondary.

"We have (Ross)' rights," Tice said after Tuesday's morning practice, which Ross missed while taking a physical. "(But) I don't know if he'll ever see the field."

With starting cornerback Brian Williams out for at least another week and a young, inconsistent group of backups behind him, the Vikings needed a veteran corner to stabilize the unit.

But Ross' own stability -- health and otherwise -- has caused three teams to release him in less than nine months, including two in the past week.

Ross was a third-round draft pick of Dallas in 2002, and led all rookies with five interceptions.

But he clashed openly last season with new coach Bill Parcells, who questioned the former Ohio State standout's fundamentals, as well as the severity of a knee injury that forced Ross to miss six games. The Cowboys released him Dec. 2.

Atlanta, which signed Ross for the final two games of 2003, waived him last Tuesday after he missed more than a week of practice with a slightly-torn meniscus in his knee.

He was claimed off waivers by New Orleans, but the Saints revoked the claim after Ross missed a plane and failed to report on time.

Ross' nomadic career and the condition of his knee are pressing concerns, despite the Vikings' needs in the secondary, according to Tice.

"I have to find out why a player with that much talent has bounced around so much," Tice said. "I don't need another guy on the injured list."

Tice did not specify a timetable for deciding when or if Ross will practice with the team. Tice, Ross and secondary coach Chuck Knox, Jr. met Tuesday afternoon at Winter Park, several hours before a scheduled intrasquad passing scrimmage.

Depth at corner was especially thin Tuesday morning. Starting left cornerback Antoine Winfield missed practice to witness the birth of his third child. Reggie Austin, the Vikings' No. 4 cornerback last week, sat out for the third straight day with a sprained ankle.

Veteran Ken Irvin, who will start in Williams' place Friday against San Francisco, and Rushen Jones practiced with the first unit.

THE BLITZ
    • Second-year linebacker Michael Nattiel will replace rookie Dontarrious Thomas on the weak side in the nickel package Friday, Tice said. Thomas will keep his starting job in the base defense.
    • An MRI performed Monday on safety Willie Offord's sore left knee did not reveal any ligament damage. Offord practiced Tuesday morning.
    • Richard Owens, an undrafted rookie out of Louisville, is pushing seventh-round draft pick Jeff Dugan for the fourth and likely final tight end spot.
    • Rookie Cullen Loeffler still must improve his blocking to beat out incumbent long snapper Brody Liddiard, Tice said.
    • Fifth-round draft pick Rod Davis has overtaken Max Yates for the backup spot at middle linebacker, but the club may keep both players on the active roster, according to Tice.
    • Veteran center Billy Conaty's solid performance in camp, combined with starter Matt Birk's uncertain health, could lead Tice to keep 10 offensive linemen on the active roster. The Vikings kept eight last season, plus two on the practice squad.
    • Center Cory Withrow will leave the team after Friday's game to attend to a family issue. He will return Monday morning.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

daredevil25 is offline Rookie

Derek Ross??

"vikingstw" wrote:
    Hey dare devil your a falcons fan right, what exactly happened there in atlanta did he get injured or did he just flat out suck?
    A little of both. His injury kept him from playing preseason game our teams just played in, but he hasn't shown anything. I think his attitude is really not prioritized on football. Its a damn shame too, he has loads of talent, but when a guy gets cut twice in 9 months (most that time he had was boosted by the offseason) and he can't even catch a flight to his new team, something's wrong! I wouldn't get excited, I saw the joys we had when we got him on the waiver wire, I saw the joy the Saints had when they picked him up off waivers. Each resulted in dissappointment and shock. Every time people harp on his 5 INTs as a rookie and then realize that was in 02, its 04 and he's done little for the teams he was on in that timeframe.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Derek Ross??

Hmmmm... Tons of raw talent, possible trick knee, and an attitude. Should be interesting... :?:
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Derek Ross??

Hey, it's the long lost and famous PacNWVike. Nice to see Webby let you back... :wink:

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Derek Ross??

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    Hmmmm... Tons of raw talent, possible trick knee, and an attitude. Should be interesting... :?:
    hey da man is back , so when did you finally find the door to get back on here? :lol:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Derek Ross??

Whackthepack thanks for the update from Tice and daredevil25 your insight was interesting for sure all we can do is wait and see but Tice has kind of put it out there in plain english put up or your out..no hangers on here. good for TICE I also notice that Starting left cornerback Antoine Winfield missed practice to witness the birth of his third child. Reggie Austin,
    Congrate spiderman...Man this guy catches everything
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Derek Ross??

Well, he has met with the coaches and has taken the physical, so we are ahead of where the saints got. Maybe he didn't fly down for the saints physical, because he didn't want to play for them? I know he should be happy to play for anyone at this time, but maybe he wasn't happy that the saints got him off waivers? Just a thought. It doesn't hurt to give him a shot and see what he does. He has a ton of talent and could definitely be a starter in this league again, if he is healthy and gets his mind in the right place. If anyone watched reggie austin in the last preseason game, then you know we desperately need some CB's and no way he will play as bad as austin did, even with an injured knee. This should be interesting to see what happens.

Derek Ross??

"SKOL" wrote:
    Hey, it's the long lost and famous PacNWVike. Nice to see Webby let you back... :wink:
    Thanks Skol! Webby figured out what was wrong with his neurotic HAL9000 and fixed the problem. I missed you guys! Skol Vikings!!!!
    Edmund Burke

Derek Ross??

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "PacNWVike" wrote:
    hey da man is back , so when did you finally find the door to get back on here? :lol:
    Peter my friend! Good to see you're alive and kicking across the pond! Which game are you coming over to see this year? I'm flying into Mpls for the Sept 26th Chicago game. If you come, I'll be you many pints of COLD American beer! Skol Vikings!

PS Don't forget to piss off the Frogs :thumbright:
    Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast