Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Denny doesn't seem so bad after listening to Brad

[size=18px]Denny doesn't seem so bad after listening to Brad[/size]
    http://www.startribune.com/508/story/457836.html
    Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Come back, Dennis Green. I've checked with the cabal of conspirators and, from our end, all is forgiven.

There were a few moments when we thought you had gotten a touch goofy -- particularly in 1997 with the publication of "No Room for Crybabies," the book in which you basically threatened to fire the team's owners.

If bygones are going to be bygones, there are a couple of admissions to make, Coach:

There were smirks in the Metrodome press box as you shuffled off the field following Atlanta's stunning overtime victory in the NFC title game of January 1999. And there was knee-slapping laughter in the Giants Stadium press box during the 41-0 loss in the title game in January 2001.

We know better now, Denny. We promise to remain somber following every playoff loss, no matter how unexpected or humiliating.

You were at least putting us on with the gibberish offered in news conferences. You would say something such as, "Football is about winning and losing, and we would rather win than lose," and then walk away, offering a wink to friends who were in on the joke.

This guy we have up here now, this Brad Childress character ... I'm afraid he's bonkers. He spews nonsense not as a jab at the media but because he thinks it means something.

This is what Childress had to say about rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson earlier this month:

"I thought probably the most impressive thing was just him delivering the essay in the huddle. ... You have to know when to take a breath and where to take a breath, so that everything flows when you are passing out that information.

"You are basically painting a picture with words. You can see the right look in his eye, knowing exactly what he is creating. He can see the picture in his eye of what's going on."

I know you think the cabal embellished a few things during your tenure, Denny, but this is the honest truth: Childress was impressed with Jackson's breathing.

And there was more:

"I can go back and remember in 1985 [in Indianapolis], Art Schlichter was our starting quarterback and, with all the essay that is said, I know that coming to the line of scrimmage he was still thinking about who was moving where when he was moving his foot up."

Childress was a quality-control coach with the Colts. When he wasn't making sure there was fresh coffee, he apparently was monitoring Schlichter's essays.

As it turned out, the lack of focus Childress detected from the quarterback was Artie's concern over whether this would be the night bookmakers he owed money to would have his legs broken.

Denny, you also had a rookie quarterback, Matt Leinart, in minicamp this month. By comparison to our Little Major, you were a beacon of clarity in these comments:

"He throws a terrific ball, throws it high; he's tall, of course, 6-5, and he has a very good release at the top. He throws it shoulder-to-shoulder. You never see his ball diving. It is easy to catch."

The shoulder-to-shoulder part -- that might have been a little Mel Kiper-like -- but we'll take it, in contrast to the Little Major's tribute to Tarvaris.

There also have been workouts taking place in the Miami Dolphins facility this month. In late March, Childress had suggested a reason for trading Daunte Culpepper was the quarterback rehabbing his surgically repaired right knee in an inferior facility in Orlando.

"I've spent some time in [Florida]," the Little Major said. "I close my eyes. I'm seeing a Chinese restaurant, a HealthSouth place, a laundromat ... basically, a strip mall that he's rehabbing himself."

That was a Childress superfecta: insults that were ethnic, corporate, geographic and personal.

Apparently, the Little Major's concerns about Culpepper's commitment to rehab are not shared in Miami. He's now at the Dolphins facility on a regular basis, and coach Nick Saban said Wednesday:

"Daunte has done more than we ever thought he could at this time in terms of his physical ability. He's been cleared to do things at his position -- to start taking three-step, five-step, seven-step drops, and throw it."

Drops and throws are fine, but what Saban did not clarify was Culpepper's work in the important areas -- delivering the essay and breathing.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

Re: Denny doesn't seem so bad after listening to Brad

Funny read. Ignores the moronic 'interim' follow-up coach after Green and Daunte's graceful exit created by the mental midget himself. Reusse is on par with Jeff Duncan from nola.com in his journalistic abilities. The only difference is Duncan loves the Saints and Reusse loves himself, both are blind.

I'll give Reusse credit for using excerpts from quotes and writing a bunch of gibberish and providing a few minutes of marginal entertainment. This part of the offseason is just painful, especially when we're forced to endure Reusse's ramblings to pass the time.

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

Why don't they just wait till Childress has coached at least a year or two to see if he can coach!!! rather then what he says to reporters and then comparing him to a past coach we had.....they are running out of material

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Wow, nothing like taking a worthless jab at something or somebody that is not even an issue. They really need to get their heads out of their a$$e$ and start writing about something that matters.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I HATE the TC media! Don't they ever have anything positive to say? Let the guy coach damnit!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Wow, that was a downright kick in the crotch for the Little Major.

Del Rio Guest

Green had brilliant assistants that have gone on the great things.

In the end though only one head coach was better for the Vikings then Denny.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Reusse I hope you sometimes stop in PPO and read some of the things people say about you!

You are an old curmudgeon and you hate sports, so why are you a sports writer you piece of dog excrement?

You always know more than every owner and every coaching staff in town! So why don't you start a girls pro bowling team, and leave the sports fans in the Twin Cities area alone! You are worthless and you are mad because the new Vikes owners and coaches do not kiss your a$$ like Red and Tice did! That is all you and Souhan care about, and that is the reason that you 2 worthless excuses for humans are so upset that the new Vikings coaches do not grant you 2 interviews so you keep taking shots!

Like I said earlier why are you a sports writer when you hate sports so much, retire and go away and never bother the sporting public again with you useless blathering that you call an article! I am not saying you should kill yourself, but all good ideas have their time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:

Les Steckel?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:

Good point. More specific, I also like the fact that we had some good defensive minds under Denny that have gone on to do Defense in the NFL.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast