Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Del's Take

Del Rio Guest

Del's Take

Well I think it is safe to say that was a horrible game. I just wanted to touch on a few things some of which may have been touched upon in other threads. Going into this game many fans knew that we would have our hands full, in fact before the season even started I would be surprised if many fans caulked this game up to anything other then a loss. The reason we had hope we could win was because so far this season the team has shown us talent that I think many of us never thought they had.

If there were three things in this game that killed us I would have to say they were:

1) Coaching
    2) Defense
    3) QB/WR play

Coaching was what I was afraid it would be. You have a proven coach, three time super bowl winner matching wits with a rookie head coach and a rookie coaching staff and it showed big time. They go to five wide and start throwing the ball around. It is ballsy, it is confident, and it says “Hey you can’t stop us.” Most importantly however is it makes Brad Childress make a decision. Does he stick to his plan or does he try to match tit for tat? Well 5 runs in the first half tells us he made the WRONG decision. Down by 17 and the run is abandoned. Our bread and butter is abandoned and we are instantly in a shoot out, one that we cannot win. Poor coaching. HOWEVER he is young and he is learning. This is not a bag on Brad Childress thread, just an honest observation.

Defense was horrid. I have been saying all season the zone is soft. Pass protection is soft and it was that and more. This is not a top ten defense I am sorry. In my honest opinion this defense is great at stuffing the run and horrible at stopping the pass. Granted this game was an exaggeration of that being that we went against Tom Brady, but I have been seeing this all season. Big open fields to roam. The line sucked it up. They went 5 wide all night long so there is really no option for a strong blitz. You have to make the line beat you, and they failed.

Brad Johnson played the worst game I have ever seen him play. Where is that fire that was there against the Redskins? We know this guy is not a gunner; he is not a throw the ball 60 yards down the field kind of guy. What he is supposed to be is a guy that makes the smart play and he wasn’t doing that. So take both of those away and you got nothing. I could not quit thinking about his contract. The guy is a starter and is getting paid ass-soup for wages. Does he care enough to win? If we are going to let him go at the end of the season why not go with young blood? I mean I just can’t help but wonder why this guy hasn’t been paid. The only conclusion I can think is he isn’t going to be here very long.

~ Some notables from the game

Bryant McKinnie once again shows his weakness. Fast ends getting around him and making him look silly.

The officiating was horrid. What good is instant replay when it doesn’t even get you the correct call on the field?

Troy Williamson once again drops a game changing pass. Sure there was some contact, but the ball hit his hand and I have to agree with Thiesman when he says he lost the ball in the lights. Perfectly thrown strike down the sideline and he drops it……again.

MM makes an awesome punt return.

Tony Richardson is a beast plain and simple

At halftime they did that stupid race deal with the big foam heads. When they were introducing the contestants the fans BOOED THE HELL out of IRVIN,KORNHEISER,and THEISMAN. It made my night. Then when they go back to Irvin he looks all butt hurt and that made it even better.

Finally the PATRIOTS are who we SAID THEY WERE!!!! Which is one hell of a football team. Sure the officiating was not that great, but they flat out beat our ass. They knocked us in the mouth on defense AND offense and we didn’t do a damn thing about it. So cudo’s to them for being a well coached and very well disciplined. No false starts all night. That’s impressive.

We have work to do. We did not play up to our level and I am sure that the 49ers will feel some of that fire next weekend. In fact after a loss like this you have the opportunity to really see what your team is made of. There is absolutely no reason we should not win against the 49ers. NONE AT ALL, we should dominate them. If we come out flat then I would be afraid for our season and our morale and then I would actually consider mixing it up a bit weather it be at the QB position, WR, or whatever.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Del's Take

Good post. I especially like the Denny Green impersonation.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

The other coaching I question was on the defensive side of the ball. All year long we've been playing with some pretty big cushions, giving up the plays underneath & trying to not to give up the big play.

The Patriots saw that & exploited the hell out of it, with several quick strikes under 10 yards & their speedy receivers doing the rest. It seemed to me that there wasn't much defensive adjustment being made to rectify it. As long as we kept giving it to them, they kept taking advantage of it.

On one play, it had to be blown coverage, there wasn't a defender within 15 yards opf the receiver. he fell down on his own, not once, but twice I believe & got back up before a defender even got to him.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    The other coaching I question was on the defensive side of the ball. All year long we've been playing with some pretty big cushions, giving up the plays underneath & trying to not to give up the big play.

The Patriots saw that & exploited the hell out of it, with several quick strikes under 10 yards & their speedy receivers doing the rest. It seemed to me that there wasn't much defensive adjustment being made to rectify it. As long as we kept giving it to them, they kept taking advantage of it.

On one play, it had to be blown coverage, there wasn't a defender within 15 yards opf the receiver. he fell down on his own, not once, but twice I believe & got back up before a defender even got to him.
    The lack of defensive adjustments was definately a big factor. I agree. You would think with the Patsies playing 5 man wide that he could have drawn something up.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

The only thing that really scares me, is that Childress once again abandoned the run quickly. You would think he had learned his lesson against the Bills.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

"cogitans" wrote:
    The only thing that really scares me, is that Childress once again abandoned the run quickly. You would think he had learned his lesson against the Bills.
    I agree Cogs. He did turn his back on the run and we suffered alot form that. No reason to stop running at all during the first half.

I think Bill Bellichek roped him into it and he fell for it. I think seeing 5 man WR every snap set a tempo that Childress felt he had to match. In my opinion this was the biggest mistake of the entire game, one that may have cost us the game.

Also something I found highly entertaining and fun is that we were effectively running the play action pass ALL NIGHT lol and we had hardly ran the ball at all. That is called respect. Which also makes me feel sick that we abandoned our bread and butter.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

what cost us the game was the chance for s to tie it up and get some momentum back and brad make a asssucky through interception no points. if we had scored there the defense would have been re energized the life would have come back into the crowd. we might still have lost but it woouldnt have been as ugly.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    Well I think it is safe to say that was a horrible game. I just wanted to touch on a few things some of which may have been touched upon in other threads. Going into this game many fans knew that we would have our hands full, in fact before the season even started I would be surprised if many fans caulked this game up to anything other then a loss. The reason we had hope we could win was because so far this season the team has shown us talent that I think many of us never thought they had.
    True, this was not one of the wins on my list.
    Recent play led me to believe we could win, and yes that was an awful game to watch.

"Del" wrote:
    If there were three things in this game that killed us I would have to say they were:

1) Coaching
    2) Defense
    3) QB/WR play

Coaching was what I was afraid it would be. You have a proven coach, three time super bowl winner matching wits with a rookie head coach and a rookie coaching staff and it showed big time. They go to five wide and start throwing the ball around. It is ballsy, it is confident, and it says “Hey you can’t stop us.” Most importantly however is it makes Brad Childress make a decision. Does he stick to his plan or does he try to match tit for tat? Well 5 runs in the first half tells us he made the WRONG decision. Down by 17 and the run is abandoned. Our bread and butter is abandoned and we are instantly in a shoot out, one that we cannot win. Poor coaching. HOWEVER he is young and he is learning. This is not a bag on Brad Childress thread, just an honest observation.
    I would have to put the QB play right up there at 1.5, in between the coaching and the D.
    We were ahead in the possession time, but behind on the score board.
    Johnson made bad decisions and bad throws in key situations that he normally doesn't do.
    He PANICED, Lost his Cool.
    His play and the coaches decisions were linked, heck add the Defense to this mix too.

"Del" wrote:
    Defense was horrid. I have been saying all season the zone is soft. Pass protection is soft and it was that and more. This is not a top ten defense I am sorry. In my honest opinion this defense is great at stuffing the run and horrible at stopping the pass. Granted this game was an exaggeration of that being that we went against Tom Brady, but I have been seeing this all season. Big open fields to roam. The line sucked it up. They went 5 wide all night long so there is really no option for a strong blitz. You have to make the line beat you, and they failed.
    Dwight Smith and Whitaker are weak links in our secondary. It wasn't all Smoots fault last night. Even if our O would have won the time of possession, we couldn't stop them from scoring.

"Del" wrote:
    Brad Johnson played the worst game I have ever seen him play. Where is that fire that was there against the Redskins? We know this guy is not a gunner; he is not a throw the ball 60 yards down the field kind of guy. What he is supposed to be is a guy that makes the smart play and he wasn’t doing that. So take both of those away and you got nothing. I could not quit thinking about his contract. The guy is a starter and is getting paid jiggly butt-soup for wages. Does he care enough to win? If we are going to let him go at the end of the season why not go with young blood? I mean I just can’t help but wonder why this guy hasn’t been paid. The only conclusion I can think is he isn’t going to be here very long.
    True on all that!
    I think he cares enough to win though.
    They said he is the lowest paid starter or the second lowest paid starter.
    He wants to win, and he will probably want to leave after this season also.
    I am still not convinced that it is time for Young Blood.
    Bollinger proved he isn't ready and it is safe to say that T-Jack isn't ready for full speed NFL Ds coming at him.

"Del" wrote:
    ~ Some notables from the game

Bryant McKinnie once again shows his weakness. Fast ends getting around him and making him look silly.

The officiating was horrid. What good is instant replay when it doesn’t even get you the correct call on the field?

Troy Williamson once again drops a game changing pass. Sure there was some contact, but the ball hit his hand and I have to agree with Thiesman when he says he lost the ball in the lights. Perfectly thrown strike down the sideline and he drops it……again.

MM makes an awesome punt return.

Tony Richardson is a beast plain and simple
    McKinnie ?
    Officiating - Blew Brady last night, that is why the guy is so relaxed on the field.
    They called the touch fouls on us but ignored them for the Pats. I saw 2 obvious pass interference calls and they weren't call on the Pats.
    T-Will is T-Will but I will give him a pass on that.
    It should have been pass interference, sure it was a light touch, but his arm was held.
    T-Will needs both hands (for his best chance) to catch the ball.
    MM is a sprak plug.
    He is fresh the whole game since he doesn't play the 1 and 2 downs.
    T-Rich got blown up caught the ball anyway, got up and ran back to the Huddle, got to like that.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    I agree Cogs. He did turn his back on the run and we suffered alot form that. No reason to stop running at all during the first half.

I think Bill Bellichek roped him into it and he fell for it. I think seeing 5 man WR every snap set a tempo that Childress felt he had to match. In my opinion this was the biggest mistake of the entire game, one that may have cost us the game.

Also something I found highly entertaining and fun is that we were effectively running the play action pass ALL NIGHT lol and we had hardly ran the ball at all. That is called respect. Which also makes me feel sick that we abandoned our bread and butter.
    Exactly.

All of the other things you said in the initial post is fixable one way or the other. But this problem is a possible indicator that something more serious could be wrong.

First off they made the same mistake in Buffalo, and therefor it's much more serious to see it repeated.

Secondly, if Childress can't see the unbalance him self during the game - and there can be many reasons why that would be so - someone on the coachingstaff should help him by letting him know. If they can't do that it's serious, and it could lead to more losses down the road.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Childress got taken to coaching school tonight for sure. And that's good. It was a learning experience for him and guaranteed he will learn from it.
    All the talk I am reading about how the Tampa 2 cannot stop the passing game if they spread the field is plain and simple BS. Tony Dungey is the "Father of the Tampa 2" and the Colts defense is great and they have seen the spread offense many times. You have to adjust. Mike Tomlin, who last week was everybody's choice for a head coaching job will also have to learn from this blowout to adjust.
    I think BJ simply was trying to hard. It was almost shades of Daunte last year. BJ has to learn not to try and carry the whole team. But let's face it, the offensive line blocking sucked BIG TIME for the Vikes and therein was the biggest problem, not BJ.
    You watch, other teams will try the spread offense on the Vikes not and either the team will be shades of 2004 which started fast and then the weaknesses got found out and they floundered the rest of the season, or the Vikes will adjust. Our schedule gives us a perfect adjustment period of weaker teams. We'll see what Childress, Timlin, BJ and the offensive line are made of in the next few weeks.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast