Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Del's Take

Del Rio Guest

Re: Del's Take

with the potential for 20+ yes it is.

Few mistakes at bad times, a person here a person there. You hunt them down you fix em. Piss and moan all you like but that's part of the game.

An interception returned to the 3

Blocked field goal
    Missed snap on a fieldgoal

TD negated by a penalty

a 4th and 9 stopped on the 1 yard line leading to a score

MULTIPLE plays of 10+ yards including a 31 yarder to our rookie. keeping in mind we are playing against one of the best D's in the league?

Take what you want from it, I stand by my comments.

Del Rio Guest

"CanadaViking" wrote:
    I appreciate all of the positives, however the Vikes need to start stringing the positives together, over say a half or heaven forbid a game. I realize that there were some positives to take from Sunday, but I still question the offensive play calling, it was horendous, what was with the last possession of the first half, they darn near gave the ball back!
    Yeah they do need to link them together, that's part of the gelling people apparently forgot about.

You work through it.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Suck it up people. Where is your courage?

You jump now, you don't get back on.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    with the potential for 20+ yes it is.

Few mistakes at bad times, a person here a person there. You hunt them down you fix em. Piss and moan all you like but that's part of the game.

An interception returned to the 3

Blocked field goal
    Missed snap on a fieldgoal

TD negated by a penalty

a 4th and 9 stopped on the 1 yard line leading to a score

MULTIPLE plays of 10+ yards including a 31 yarder to our rookie. keeping in mind we are playing against one of the best D's in the league?

Take what you want from it, I stand by my comments.

Im standing by ya too bro.. It's all true

6-KINGS Guest

"webmaster" wrote:

I WILL NEVER JUMP!!!!

EVER!!!

This a cake walk compared to some past Viking problems.

This is where real fans find their corps.
    The true Viking Fan soldiers.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    "webmaster" wrote:

I WILL NEVER JUMP!!!!

EVER!!!

This a cake walk compared to some past Viking problems.

This is where real fans find their corps.
    The true Viking Fan soldiers.

Me either man.. my pops has been a Vikes fan for 35+ years.. I can do that too! Through thick or thin

Del Rio Guest

This isn't about jumping ship, I could care less who jumps ship. If you have doubts go cheer for one of your other 6 favorite teams. Do what every makes you guys happy.

If you don't want to be on for the ride then don't. If you just feel like bitching an blowing off steam have at it.

If you want to jump ship and come back next week after we start winning again I'll be the first to give you a hand back on the wagon.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    This isn't about jumping ship, I could care less who jumps ship. If you have doubts go cheer for one of your other 6 favorite teams. Do what every makes you guys happy.

If you don't want to be on for the ride then don't. If you just feel like bitching an blowing off steam have at it.

If you want to jump ship and come back next week after we start winning again I'll be the first to give you a hand back on the wagon.

I hope that you are not suggesting that I am jumping ship...

JLDII is offline Rookie

I liked what I saw from the O early in the game, actually, most of the first half. The quick 3 step drop passing game, which IS the the base of a west coast, was working well, even though better run calling would help it even more, we were still able to move the ball with the underneath passes. The problem with that though, especially playing a defense like the Bears' is that it only takes one holding, or false start penalty to make us have to complete a 2nd and long, or 3rd and long, and right now, this offense can't make those plays. IF,....and that is a big IF, we could get rid of all the false starts, and holding calls, we could actually be a bit more dangerous on offense.

One thing I just can figure out is why it is that when the opposing defense starts really coming with the pressure, we can't get a wide out, or actually slot reciever, sprung open on a quick slant, ala CC. The route has to be there if they are bringing 8 on the rush, plus, it is a quick release pass so the pressure shouldn't get to Daunte.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide into it broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming at the top of your lungs......
    "WOW, What a ride!"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Ok doubtful you made it this far into the post. This is where I try to make some sense of that game. It was a good game on our part in many many ways. I am encouraged by it. There were a few plays that we simply needed. No question about it we needed those plays. Penalties got us, incomplete passes got us, running to the left side of the line when it failed over and over and over got us. Receivers dropping the ball got us.

Smoot you hurt us yesterday, K. Williams you hurt us yesterday, Goldberg you hurt us yesterday, and Rosey you played like pooh, I hope it hurts. Although something tells me it doesn’t.

IMO Culpepper played a good game. Or I will at least say an improved game. Defense was great except penalties. Offense was hot and cold, and face it the Bears have a serious defense. The best LB in the NFL in my eyes. They were bringing the heat ALL GAME. IMO you eliminate a few mistakes and your looking at a W. IF we are a few mistakes away from winning then that isn’t bad.

The score is deceiving. 3 yards? 1 yard? Who in the NFL couldn’t get a score with that field position? (don’t say us you sorry donkey butts :grin: ) There was a lot of good to come out of that game. I am impressed.
    In a previous post in a different thread, I called our D soft. I was wrong. I think I meant to say lacked heart. They played well against a bad offense.

On those 2 drives that we 3 yards for a TD and the drive that was 1 yard for the TD. It took a total of 3 plays to score 2 TDs. It didn't look like they wanted a dog fight down there, they got rolled over. I realize that it is a little demoralizing when the O starts that close, but you have to atleast look like you want to hold them to only a FG.

The 28 points is a little worse than it looks but, we couldn't hold them to one FG on 4 tries. That 24 yard TD by Jones was terrible, it looked like the D gave up on that also. It didn't look like they were trying to fight off the blocks.

Both the O and D are soft mentally, with all those penalties.

I think the D looked a little better than they are against the mediocre Offense of the Bears. The one thing I give the Vikes D credit for is not letting the Bears O line dominate them. We held the Bears to minimal rushing yards. Jones had 89, but if you minus that 24 yarder where the D look beat down, that is only 65 yards on 22 carries. The Bears O line is very good at Run Blocking, not as good at Pass Blocking. The second thing to give our D credit for is the forced fumble and Chavous' INT. Chavous played that on like a centerfielder chasing down a fly ball.

I have been saying similar things to what you are saying:

Time to gel
    Can't expect it to come together fast with so much change
    Penalties
    Turn Overs

It just gets tiresome saying it over and over. The penalties and turn overs just keep putting us in bad situations that are hard for this team to work themselves out of. If we had half as many TOs and Penalties, we would have 2 more Ws on the season.

Special teams which has been pretty damn good did not play well yesterday. Klewe, had a 55 yard punt with a 49 yard return and a 25 yd punt that went out of bounds at the Bears 20, how about pinning them back closer to the goal line on that one. Edinger, 3 botched FGs, what more can you say. As far as Klewe, I think he only had 5 or 6 punts max.

I appreciate your POV Del. I also appreciate you staying positive and pointing those things out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast