Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deleyed Again

CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler

Deleyed Again

Time crawls: NFL delays deadline until 11 p.m.
    March 8, 2006
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

GRAPEVINE, Texas -- The NFL delayed another deadline on Wednesday.

Advertisement

A little more than two hours before the latest deadline to accept or turn down the NFL Players Association's offer to extend the labor agreement, the owners pushed it back again. This time they extended the deadline for teams to get under the salary cap by two hours, from 9 p.m. EST until 11 p.m.

With that, the owners kept talking as they tried to resolve the sticky issue of expanded revenue sharing that has tied them up for two years. The additional money it would generate is considered the best way the owners can accede to the union's request for just less than 60 percent of the league's total revenues.

NFL spokesman Joe Browne, in announcing the deadline change, said it was made to give additional time to reach agreement on the complicated plans on which they are working. The 8 p.m. EST deadline for informing the union whether the owners accept or reject their proposal stands, although there was some question whether the league might be switching time zones -- Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the players union was in Hawaii, where 8 p.m. would be 1 a.m EST.

The owners' marathon meeting started Tuesday and ended with labor peace nowhere in sight.

Earlier Wednesday, there was still clearly no consensus.

Jerry Jones of Dallas, the leader of the group opposing revenue sharing, said he was dismayed by developments. Indianapolis' Jim Irsay, one of the spokesmen for the low-revenue teams that want help from the richer teams suggested the league needed a consensus builder like the late Wellington Mara of the New York Giants, the last of the NFL's founding generation, who died last October.

"We need the ghost of St. Wellington to appear with some of the forefathers," Irsay said.

Despite the latest delay, free agency, twice delayed, is still scheduled to begin Thursday at 12:01 a.m. EST if owners turn down the union's offer. If they approve it, free agency will start Friday.

Meanwhile, there was as much lobbying going on as discussion.

At the lunch break, Mara's son John, along with Jerry Richardson of Carolina and Pat Bowlen of Denver met with commissioner Paul Tagliabue in an attempt to find a way to build a consensus. All three are considered "league" men, owners who will do what they think is best for the league, something Tagliabue urged during Tuesday's session.

They seemed to be aligned, somewhat surprisingly, with Oakland's Al Davis, a maverick with a long history of court fights with the league. "I love my country and I love my league," Davis said repeatedly.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    this sucks another delay

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Deleyed Again

bull s h i t

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Shocking. This sucks!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

this is nuts already

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

DEAR GOD COME TO AN AGREEMENT!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sick of them delaying it....

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

i can live with a 2 hr delay, but if it has to change days then i'll get pissed. if it takes an extra 2 hrs to not make football shit in the future then i'm ok with that.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

According to ESPN the deal is very close...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Alteast this delay isn't for half a week. They must feel they're pretty close to reaching an agreement to only delay 2 hours.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"LuckyVike" wrote:
    Alteast this delay isn't for half a week. They must feel they're pretty close to reaching an agreement to only delay 2 hours.
    They delayed for 2 hours on Sunday remember. :wink:

It's starting to feel like the movie "Ground Hogs Day"

They need to get Chuck Norris involved & end this thing.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Yeah, send Chuck Norris in to kick some serious patootie!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast