Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Del Rio - O-Line questions

Del Rio - I know you're a D-Line guy, but I'd love to read any insight you might have into how the responsibilities and schemes generally work for the O-Line.

In particular, I'm interested in why it seems like RG is where you try to hid your weakness.

Thanks,
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio Guest

Re: Del Rio - O-Line questions

This may sound really bad but Guard in general is the easiest position in football. The right guard is even more so because "GENERALLY" most teams line up with a TE on the right side OR if he is on the left side the HB is lined up staggered to the right.

With that said the Guard gets help from the center and the tackle. He will almost always get help from the tackle if there is a TE, on run plays.

It all boils down to positioning. The tackles are on the ends. Generally speaking the left tackle is the hardest position to play because you can get cut off from your herd more easily. You will find yourself one on one with a DE who can cut in or take you wide. That never happens to a guard.

Alot of QB's are right handed. The biggest blindspot they have is left. The guard is responsible for picking up inside blitzes when there is no max protect. You want your best guard picking up that blindside LB. A hit from the blindside causes turnovers and injuries. So your weakest player will always be your right guard.

As far as their jobs go mostly it depends on the play. They have a progression like all positions the ball is snapped and they may have a progression of something like (over - AGap- Inside Backer). So they will first see if someone is lined in front of them, nope so look to the A gap which is the gap between them and center is there someone there? Nope on when the ball is snapped I will get the inside backer..........

That is why stunts are so important. God I hate cottrell for not running more of them. Well timed stunts make or break a line. Let the guard read through all his progression then slide into a gap or over him.........he will have to start progression again, slide into the gap and out again........

That is one of the biggest things that makes a great guard. Coaches look at how fast and how accurate a player can make a progression adjustment.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    This may sound really bad but Guard in general is the easiest position in football. The right guard is even more so because "GENERALLY" most teams line up with a TE on the right side OR if he is on the left side the HB is lined up staggered to the right.

With that said the Guard gets help from the center and the tackle. He will almost always get help from the tackle if there is a TE, on run plays.

It all boils down to positioning. The tackles are on the ends. Generally speaking the left tackle is the hardest position to play because you can get cut off from your herd more easily. You will find yourself one on one with a DE who can cut in or take you wide. That never happens to a guard.

Alot of QB's are right handed. The biggest blindspot they have is left. The guard is responsible for picking up inside blitzes when there is no max protect. You want your best guard picking up that blindside LB. A hit from the blindside causes turnovers and injuries. So your weakest player will always be your right guard.

As far as their jobs go mostly it depends on the play. They have a progression like all positions the ball is snapped and they may have a progression of something like (over - AGap- Inside Backer). So they will first see if someone is lined in front of them, nope so look to the A gap which is the gap between them and center is there someone there? Nope on when the ball is snapped I will get the inside backer..........

That is why stunts are so important. God I hate cottrell for not running more of them. Well timed stunts make or break a line. Let the guard read through all his progression then slide into a gap or over him.........he will have to start progression again, slide into the gap and out again........

That is one of the biggest things that makes a great guard. Coaches look at how fast and how accurate a player can make a progression adjustment.
    So - with a lefty QB, I suppose the strength is reversed - you want a strong RT and RG to protect the blind-side there, yes?

Good stuff - add anything else you think of. The battle in the trenches and what goes on down there is something which is truly unappreciated from a strategy standpoing, I think.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio Guest

Yeah if you have a lefty and your Right Guard is not good at picking up the blitz your going to be paying a price.

The best Guards are the one who can talk shit and still make thier progressions. Being on the D-line is more fun because the only thing you usually do is maintain a gap or seek and destroy.

I have had Guards ask me if I was over them or in the gap before. Which is funny because if he makes the wrong block that means someone gets double teamed that shouldn't and someone goes free.

I imagine the NFL has far fewer problems. These guys are the best of the best. Sometimes if you have a great guard he can mess up his progression and still make a great play. You know those print outs you see lineman looking at during the game, they are going over progression. The coach will be like why did you block the inside backer? Because there was no one in the A gap......he is lining up staggered so i thought the Center had him. Then the coach can realize what he is seeing and make the proper adjustment.

AND

The defense does the same they try to figure out progressions and the best way to mess them up. That is where a MLB comes in. If he knows the assignments he can read the formation because he is back far away and can sneak up and tell the D lineman to shift or what not to mess up progression.

Good Middle LB's sculpt the entire flow of the game.

Depends, if the Shark as a crappy defensive cordinator ( like Cotrel) hes didly done for it!!!
    Vikings from all over the world. Lets unite!

I POSTED IN THE WRONG TREAD!!!

why do i start drinking at 1 pm??? WHY................??????
    Vikings from all over the world. Lets unite!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

because you're dumb like me =)

good info Del - thanks for the read, btw where did you play or coach or whatever you did.. you got a lot of info most of the time

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Del Rio Guest

I played Defensive Tackle for Wooster University for four years.
    I have been to over 45 different seminars for football across the country.

I had a verbal agreement to play for the University of Utah. I tore my acl. They wouldn't even try me out.

I went to wooster because of my woman. I had fun there learned alot, played at a high level.

I came home and coached HS football for 3 years.

At a football clinic (I was trying out for the Utah Blaze) the same coach that offered me a verbal agreement to play at the University of Utah told me he could hook me up with a coaching job at the UofU. So I enrolled in assistant coaching classes. I finished my courses and am now an assistant to the defensive Cordinator of the University of Utah Div I Mountain West Conference.

Short version I was all state DT for my HS. Got hurt........in the weightroom doing a shitty lift not even done anymore.

Went on to play Div III football. Did ok, nothing special. Began coaching HS am now an assistant to University of Utah defensive cordinator.

Shorter version: Basically I wasn't a good enough player so I coach. :razz:

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

nice =) well always love your insight

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

If you coach defense in the mountain west conference what is yor opinion of Ryan Cook? From what you've seen, is he suited to play tackle in the NFL, or is he better suited for the interior line?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast