COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Deja vu: Vikes' rushing attack reminiscent of '98 squad

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/vikings-rushingattack-reminiscent210507.html
    When the Minnesota Vikings selected Adrian Peterson with the No. 7 overall pick in April's draft, not only did they get whom many believe to be the best offensive player in the draft but also a franchise-type running back who should become a premier player in the NFL. The organization also set itself up to have one of its better backfield duos in recent memory.

As the Vikings try to rebuild an offense that was stagnant and predictable last season into a more potent unit, I'll take a look at Minnesota's last dynamic backfield tandem, which is made up of Peterson and Chester Taylor.

The 1998 Vikings had arguably the best offense in the history of the NFL -- setting a record at the time for the most points scored in a season -- featuring eight Pro Bowl selections. While nobody will confuse the 2007 Vikings with their counterparts of '98, one piece of the puzzle is and was having a solid running game.

The '98 team is often revered for its amazing aerial assault which featured a rookie wide receiver named Randy Moss (he went on to be pretty good -- when he felt like playing, that is), a potential future Hall of Fame wideout in Cris Carter, and the quiet but effective Jake Reed as the No. 3 WR. Then, of course, there was the rebirth of Randall Cunningham, the once-dynamic scrambling quarterback who had been out of football in 1996, who threw for over 3,700 yards, 34 touchdowns and just 10 interceptions.

However, as jaw-dropping as the passing attack was, the Vikings had a running back tandem that at the time was very unheralded and still doesn't receive the recognition or credit it should have for the success it was a part of. That duo consisted of Robert Smith and Leroy Hoard.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Deja vu: Vikes' rushing attack reminiscent of '98 squad

Thats a fair point about the running attack though I wouldn't draw direct comparisons between '98 and '07.
    Leroy Hoard was a pure short yardage/goal line type back which complemented RS well. I'm not sure, based on reports to date, that either Taylor & Peterson could be classed as short yardage only.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Deja vu: Vikes' rushing attack reminiscent of '98 squad

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Thats a fair point about the running attack though I wouldn't draw direct comparisons between '98 and '07.
    Leroy Hoard was a pure short yardage/goal line type back which complemented RS well. I'm not sure, based on reports to date, that either Taylor & Peterson could be classed as short yardage only.
    your point is very true, but i think the point the writer was trying to make was the fact that AP and CT are reminiscent of the '98 rushing attack in terms of potency.