Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Deja vu: Vikes' rushing attack reminiscent of '98 squad

"Mr" wrote:
    "vegasvike" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr Anderson link=topic=35186.msg595098#msg595098 date=1182520506]
    We don't have the dangerous passing game today like we did in 98, which really opened up the run. I think the two running backs we have now can definitely do better than our tandem in 98, but probably won't until we can take some men out of the box.
    Exactly, Mr. Anderson.

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth

Adrian Peterson might be the next big thing, but if we can't keep opposing defenses honest with our passing attack, he's NOT going to be that sucsessful. I'm sorry, but Tavaris Jackson ( an unexperienced QB ) throwing to garbage WR's like Bobby Wade, Troy Williamson, and Billy McMullen isn't going to be good enough.

I disagree. With Chester, Peterson, Richardson, Birk, Hutch, and Mckinnie, we have the talent to run whenever we want. This is a run attack that you shouldn't be able to stop, even if you know its coming. We saw glimpses of it last year, and I expect it to improve with the addition of AD and the line having a year of experience together under their belt. They can put 8 defenders in the box and we will just have to wear the pooh out of those 8 as the game goes on. When it comes to playing from behind and scoring, the WR corps might hinder us, but I don't think it will hinder our running game.
    I like the point you make V.
    We did see glimpses of it last year and we should be improved upon that.
    The O-line should be more solid after a year of playing together, Richardson will be back and healthy, Birk is supposed to be bigger and better.
    Not to mention our 1st round pick.
    If they do stack the box, it will just give TJack and our lackluster receivers a better chance to prove themselves.

I really hope Mckinnie does something this year. he has really let me down. His whole pro-career
    McKinnie was excellent in 2005, and I cant really complain about what he did before then either. He just had an off year at the beginning of the season last year, but he straightened out later on. He should be even more comfortable now, and really has the tools to be a great OT, so I'm thinking he'll have a good year.
    [/quote]

I remember him being beat on the inside by speedy guys last year, when he dropped too far (after Del pointed it out to me).

But I did read somewhere that he said he had watched a lot of tape in the offseason, and he felt he would improve significantly this year because he knew of some mistakes and he understood what he were supposed to do in terms of the new system better.

So I have great expectations for him. And even if he can struggle with the speed ends - which is natural given his size - I think he's one of best LTs in the league when he plays up to his ability.

For now lets just hope he can get some inspiration when he go to watch Venus play at Wimbledon. It starts monday I think

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"cogitans" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "vegasvike" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=TimmyT link=topic=35186.msg595158#msg595158 date=1182532352]
    [quote author=Mr Anderson link=topic=35186.msg595098#msg595098 date=1182520506]
    We don't have the dangerous passing game today like we did in 98, which really opened up the run. I think the two running backs we have now can definitely do better than our tandem in 98, but probably won't until we can take some men out of the box.
    Exactly, Mr. Anderson.

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth

Adrian Peterson might be the next big thing, but if we can't keep opposing defenses honest with our passing attack, he's NOT going to be that sucsessful. I'm sorry, but Tavaris Jackson ( an unexperienced QB ) throwing to garbage WR's like Bobby Wade, Troy Williamson, and Billy McMullen isn't going to be good enough.

I disagree. With Chester, Peterson, Richardson, Birk, Hutch, and Mckinnie, we have the talent to run whenever we want. This is a run attack that you shouldn't be able to stop, even if you know its coming. We saw glimpses of it last year, and I expect it to improve with the addition of AD and the line having a year of experience together under their belt. They can put 8 defenders in the box and we will just have to wear the pooh out of those 8 as the game goes on. When it comes to playing from behind and scoring, the WR corps might hinder us, but I don't think it will hinder our running game.
    I like the point you make V.
    We did see glimpses of it last year and we should be improved upon that.
    The O-line should be more solid after a year of playing together, Richardson will be back and healthy, Birk is supposed to be bigger and better.
    Not to mention our 1st round pick.
    If they do stack the box, it will just give TJack and our lackluster receivers a better chance to prove themselves.

I really hope Mckinnie does something this year. he has really let me down. His whole pro-career
    McKinnie was excellent in 2005, and I cant really complain about what he did before then either. He just had an off year at the beginning of the season last year, but he straightened out later on. He should be even more comfortable now, and really has the tools to be a great OT, so I'm thinking he'll have a good year.
    [/quote]

I remember him being beat on the inside by speedy guys last year, when he dropped too far (after Del pointed it out to me).

But I did read somewhere that he said he had watched a lot of tape in the offseason, and he felt he would improve significantly this year because he knew of some mistakes and he understood what he were supposed to do in terms of the new system better.

So I have great expectations for him. And even if he can struggle with the speed ends - which is natural given his size - I think he's one of best LTs in the league when he plays up to his ability.

For now lets just hope he can get some inspiration when he go to watch Venus play at Wimbledon. It starts monday I think
    [/quote]

Exactly, cotigans.

I don't understand why some of you are not pleased with Bryant Mckinnie. Sure, he gets beat by some of the quicker DE's, but when you're 340+ pounds, that's going to happen. He's a DOMINANT pass blocker, and he got better at run blocking last year because of Steve Hutchinson.

Bryant Mckinnie is a top 10 LT, maybe top 5, and he's only going to get better.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Did you guys ever stop to think that just maybe...

These two backs are going to make our young unproven receivers look really good?

You keep mentioning how the passing game needs to take pressure off of the run, but what about the other way around?

Play-action is gonna rock this year. Hell yes we can run on 3rd down.....just kidding.....55 yd TD, TJ to Rice.

Isn't that what we want in the WCO? Eight men coming for the run so we can put the short passing routes behind them and hit open receivers all day?
    -Sno

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    Did you guys ever stop to think that just maybe...

These two backs are going to make our young unproven receivers look really good?

You keep mentioning how the passing game needs to take pressure off of the run, but what about the other way around?

Play-action is gonna rock this year. Hell yes we can run on 3rd down.....just kidding.....55 yd TD, TJ to Rice.

Isn't that what we want in the WCO? Eight men coming for the run so we can put the short passing routes behind them and hit open receivers all day?
    Of course sno, That's why I wanted to draft AD in the first place. It takes a ton of pressure off TJ.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    God I hope to see that a couple of time this year.
    We need to get the dome rocking again, and a play like that would be just the ticket!

BTW, nice avatar Sno.
    Are you going to the movie?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Zeus" wrote:
    Check out this quote:

Jordon Voss of Annapolis, Md., is a Cowboys fan who believes that Minnesota's offense was undoubtedly the greatest of all-time. "There is no way a team could go 15-1 with that defense unless their offense was just disgusting. I'm no Vikings fan, but I do realize greatness. My team is the Cowboys so I have seen some "decent" units -- still nothing like the one the Vikes had when they came in and tore up the league in '98."
    I'm guessing someone remembers the Thanksgiving jiggly butt-kicking the '98 Vikes put on the Cowboys in Irving.

11/26/98 Minnesota Vikings 46 at Dallas Cowboys 36 Minnesota’s rookie wide receiver Randy Moss caught only three passes against the Cowboys, but all were touchdowns as he finished the day with 163 receiving yards.
    http://www.nfl.com/features/thanksgiving/tradition

=Z=
    I was there on the 50 yard line in Cowboy country loving every minute of it.
    It was ridiculous how easy those TD catches were for Randy.

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

on the bottom of the thanksgiving link is says Aikman had 455 passing yrds thats impressive i believe but our offense still put up enough points to win so i believe that proves we had one of the greatest offenses of all time.

Blog Entries

"Perch56" wrote:
    on the bottom of the thanksgiving link is says Aikman had 455 passing yrds thats impressive i believe but our offense still put up enough points to win so i believe that proves we had one of the greatest offenses of all time.
    That was typical of our 98 team.
    The offense couldn't be stopped, and the defense couldn't stop anybody.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"Perch56" wrote:
    That was typical of our 98 team.
    The offense couldn't be stopped, and the defense couldn't stop anybody.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12