Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Krumb is offline Pro-Bowler

By definition doesn't "Defensive delay of game" happen almost every play?

From what I understand it is a defensive player making a move trying to get an offensive player to jump , tell me what is the difference between a flinch , and a linebacker running up on the line of scrimmage showing blitz?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: By definition doesn't "Defensive delay of game" happen almost every play?

"Krumb" wrote:
    From what I understand it is a defensive player making a move trying to get an offensive player to jump , tell me what is the difference between a flinch , and a linebacker running up on the line of scrimmage showing blitz?
    I may be wrong, but from my understanding, it has to be a defensive player who is on the LOS.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Krumb is offline Pro-Bowler

Well that makes a little more sense , i've been talking to my non Viking fans to see if the refs making bad calls in my opinion is based on my bias towards the Vikings or facts.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Krumb" wrote:
    I may be wrong, but from my understanding, it has to be a defensive player who is on the LOS.
    Correct, within one yard of the LOS. I need to see that replay, I was helping my friend move some stuff and must have missed it.

Usually they'll only call it if a guy simulates the snap count. But ours was on Griffin. I believe that if you are within 1 yard of the LOS and make jerky movements or like a quick step away like the ball was snapped they can call it. But I think it's bullshit anyway, they never call that and lots of guys will start up real close to a WR and backoff the line quickly. Like always, defense is reactionary, the receiver should be watching the ball to know when the play starts.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Krumb" wrote:
    Correct, within one yard of the LOS. I need to see that replay, I was helping my friend move some stuff and must have missed it.

Usually they'll only call it if a guy simulates the snap count. But ours was on Griffin. I believe that if you are within 1 yard of the LOS and make jerky movements or like a quick step away like the ball was snapped they can call it. But I think it's bullshit anyway, they never call that and lots of guys will start up real close to a WR and backoff the line quickly. Like always, defense is reactionary, the receiver should be watching the ball to know when the play starts.
    They didn't show a replay that I saw of what happened, so we cannot say what may or may not have occured.
    Second time it's been called on a Vikings CB this season, BTW.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Well, here's the rule:

Defensive player(s) aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage cannot make quick and abrupt actions that are not part of normal defensive player movement in an obvious attempt to cause an offensive player(s) to foul (false start). (Blow whistle immediately.)
    So to answer the initial question, the difference with a linebacker showing blitz is that it is part of "normal defensive player movement."

Griffin was up close to the line to press and was looking in at the ball.
    He stepped one foot forward as if to jam the receiver, but that was almost exactly as the ball was snapped.
    Watching the replay, I simply can't tell if he jumped a split-second early or not.

The move also looked like a normal football move to me, as he got the WR to stutter and bring his hands up to catch the bump.
    But Griffin instead backed into coverage.
    Of course Griffin hurt his own cause by pointing at the WR during the play, which suggests that he thought there was early movement.

I think there are two possible correct calls there, depending on whether Griffin really did jump the snap or if he timed it correctly.
    The first is offsides, in which case it is a free play for the Steelers.
    The second is no call.

Now by the time the whistle was blown it looked like the ball had already been tossed to Ward who had his man beat for a 1st anyway.
    So I don't think it really hurt the Vikings at all, and possibly could have helped them with the play stoppage as opposed to a free play.
    But it still seems like a pretty questionable call.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Krumb" wrote:

They didn't show a replay that I saw of what happened, so we cannot say what may or may not have occured.

=Z=
    I absolutely hate it when they do not show replays of penalties. IMO if there is one play that should be replayed 100% of the time it's a penalty.

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

"Mr" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Krumb" wrote:

=Z=
    I absolutely hate it when they do not show replays of penalties. IMO if there is one play that should be replayed 100% of the time it's a penalty.
    How would they script games then?

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

It's BS

Happens all the time a CB comes up and acts like he is gonna play press and backs off quickly

Not a fan of that rule

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

that was a completely bogus call by the referee as far as I'm concerned. The commentators over here (not sure if they are the same ) said they hadn't heard that called in a long time.
    Purple till i die

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast