Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defesive line

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

Re: Defesive line

I also always try to remember,the worst pro player is still a helluva athlete.perhaps to those around him he is to slow,to fat,not strong enough.But compared to you and me and the average person,he is a monster.It,s all relative.
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

ajefx is offline Rookie

This is one of the main reasons I feel Ted Cottrell has got to go. The guys on our D do not maintain their gaps and plays break down defensively and get very bad for us.

I appreciate this post because it really gives good insight to a lineman's job, something I have no first hand knowledge of. Thanks bro.
    <<Hates Ted Cottrell with a passion

Del Rio Guest

Well at least we agree on one thing Cottrell needs to go bye bye. I hope he makes me eat crow this season.

I didn't mind the line play I watch it every week after the games (cause I'm a freak), and I show it to my team, but the balance of the Vikings D seemed off.

I think there were a lot of people playing on islands and just by being on the defensive side of the ball you are at a disadvantage. Corners and safties get praised by being able to play on an island, However it is not a good thing to be in that situation. Usually something broke down if a LB is put on an island and ours were all season long.

Any way I dislike what Cottrell did last year. I hope this year he fixes it and plays a more solid aggressive defense. Hell let the offense know what you are doing, they still wont be able to get around it if it is sound.

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

Perhaps he was scared to be aggresive.Sometimes when your trying to cover up weakneses,you can,t really be aggresive.At least thats what I,m hoping.Now that we have some more talent out there he will cut them loose a bit..
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

I agree 100%. It all starts down in the trenches, and another thing that pisses me off is the stereotype people have calling lineman fat, and that size and strength are all that really matters. When I see a lot of these 300 pounds, the majority of them are just enormous, and some of them are moving as fast as runningbacks. Lineplay is mostly mental, having the technique and the attitude to go out and put the guy across from you in the ground.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Very imformative.
    that is some good stuff. Tell us more.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Good analysis Del Rio. Reminds me of when i played line as well.

If you shoot the wrong gap or even do the slightest mistake on your assignment it could be a 50 yard gain or a td for the other team.

Like one poster said, its won and lost in the trenches.

Im sure the two williams will do their part to protect our lbers from those pulling guards and center. Dt is the most complicated position on the d-line, especially the under tackle. The ends are the easiest to learn in my opinion.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Well at least we agree on one thing Cottrell needs to go bye bye. I hope he makes me eat crow this season.

I didn't mind the line play I watch it every week after the games (cause I'm a freak), and I show it to my team, but the balance of the Vikings D seemed off.

I think there were a lot of people playing on islands and just by being on the defensive side of the ball you are at a disadvantage. Corners and safties get praised by being able to play on an island, However it is not a good thing to be in that situation. Usually something broke down if a LB is put on an island and ours were all season long.

Any way I dislike what Cottrell did last year. I hope this year he fixes it and plays a more solid aggressive defense. Hell let the offense know what you are doing, they still wont be able to get around it if it is sound.
    It seemed when O'Leary had the D he made them stepup? That year the Vikings were like 2nd I think in ints. What did O'Leary do that Cottrell is not doing?

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Del Rio Guest

Well for one thing he let them play football. He didn't have them playing prevent. He didn't have to corners playing 10 yards off the line. And he mixed in inventive stunts and blitzes.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

yeah, i noticed that. my favorite blitzer for the vikings (it was clairborne but now hes gone) is DT. he got alot of shots on favre and was the reason for one interception, and alot of other knockdowns in the playoff game. unfortunately during sweeps or some plays across the field he got caught on blockers too easily. it looked like he wasnt paying attention to the blockers or shedding them, just the man he was trying to tackle, and he was going 110mph getting there!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast