Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defesive line

Del Rio Guest

Defesive line

This post is really only out of my own frustration and nothing more. If you do not agree with it please print it out and wipe your behind with it. If you learn something great if not at least it got you out of 5 minutes of work or school.

Some people know some do not. I played DT/DE for four years at Wooster College. If you want to know my name or PM me and you can go Google my division III stats and laugh at me. I played offensive guard one season in high school and the other two were at DT. And now I coach the junior’s defense at my high school and the senior’s defensive line. We have 2 young men going in with state honors one looking at a scholarship with a big name school. One who I feel has what it takes to go to the NFL.

There will always be different schemes on defense. There will always be exceptions. But the base D for lineman has been the same for a very long time. I get peeved when I hear people complain about the line when they assume all they do is put their heads down and rush towards the QB. In my opinion this is a by product of the media. And I assure you it goes on at every position. What is exciting to watch about a D-lineman? His tackles and sacks. That is what they focus on. They do not go on and on about a gap assignment, about a read. It is not what pays the NFL’s bills. I guarantee you see a guy get free and go 20 yards you may sit there cursing saying damn you E.J Henderson get to your spot. And in the locker room the coach is saying damn you Kevin Williams maintain your gap after the read.

Football is a team sport. It is the greatest team sport of all time. Every body is reliant on each other. Think of it as a brick wall and the cement lines in between the bricks that hold the wall together is talent. But in order for the top brick to be where it is there needs to be a brick under that and so on. I am going to go over the defensive line to the best of my ability and try to explain the function/responsibility from my perspective.

The huddle is broken….you get to the line……get in your stance and wait for that milla second when the ball twitches….and you explode off the line.

ïƒÂ* Initial explosion is key. You want that first contact to be you moving the offensive lineman backwards. You in turn get depth. And this is all your responsible for pressure wise at this point. It creates the pocket. The initial explosion should get you a foot deep. Get your 1 foot break down and make your read.

ïƒÂ* Making a read as a defensive lineman is more instinct and feels then anything. What way is the play flowing? The lineman where are they trying to block you? It is a very primal feeling after you get off the ball and you need to react in a second’s time in the correct direction. You get your 300lbs going the wrong way you are done. And you will hear about it. Sometimes you break through and do not get touched. Mind keys a pulling lineman you will need to shed or a back you need to dispose of.

ïƒÂ* Paying your role. This is the most crucial. Plays on defense differ then that on offense in that a play is usually not designed around one man. There is a purpose for a defensive play. And you as a defensive lineman may only be asked to do a specific thing. A majority of the time you may be asked to contain a gap. Even on a pass. So when you see a guy that is three yards deep looking like he has stopped rushing the passer he probably is maintaining a gap/angle. Why would this be important? Well it is important because it is now on the LB to make a proper read, shadow the QB, decide to step into zone what have you. This is the majority of the plays. It is not statistically pleasing but it is the game. Depending on the assignment of the LB is what often dictates the assignment of the lineman. If your right side linebacker is required to NO MATTER WHAT automatically drop into a 4 yard zone. Then there is no reason for your lineman to maintain a gap. He can roam and use his athleticism to read and contain/make a play. But on that same play if your left side backer is required to make a direct read through your gap in order to decide his course of action your assignment will be to maintain a gap, and try to keep the ball in front of you.

This is the main reason I was happy when Tice was saying in his press conferences last year that the line was scoring very high. Reporters asked he had no tackles, no sacks. Tice said he scored high. He was where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there. And that is the name of the game friends.

ïƒÂ* On a pass rush the general rule is 3 yards deep then break down. Assess the situation. And then react. Again with all this stuff we are talking seconds here.

I could go on about stunts, double teams, shedding, on and on. But the main point is this: There is a lot that goes on in the game of football. It isn’t all interceptions, sacks, tackles, touchdowns. Those are what entertain those are what you see because they make the money. It is a game of trust and a game of respect. A lot of people call me a realist when it comes to football. That is because I know maybe a guy like B.Williams wasn’t getting interceptions every play. But that is one aspect of his 100 things to do. Maybe he does 97 things right. Only the people who watch the film, know what plays are called, and see it daily will know, judgment is theirs to make not mine the fan.

When people do things right good things happen. I was playing in my third game as a DT I was switched from a DE and it was a learning curve to be sure. A weak side 26 bomber was called. Basically weak side told you the side of the ball that did not have the TE, the 2 was a coverage scheme the 6 was the lineman scheme the bomber was a backer assignment.

I was week side DT so my scheme was a weak side 6 = maintain the b gap. The strong side 6 (other tackle on this play) was crash the A gap. So basically I sit in a hole he attacks the ball. The hole between the center and the guard is the A. The hole between the guard and the tackle is the B. So I was lined up in the weak side A needed to contain the weak side B. That takes a hard step diagonal I was expecting the weak side guard to hit me so I braced for it. Well he pulled to the strong side. Leaving a huge hole. I had to fight my urges to chase him. And I stepped into the weak side B and in doing so forced the tackle to block me. The weak side backer made the tackle through that huge hole before the ball even made it into the hands of the RB. I wanted to try and make the play. It was designed that way for a reason if I go on my own I muck it up.

That’s enough for now, if you read this far you deserve a coffee break go ahead your boss wont mind ï?Å*

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Defesive line

Right on Del Rio, as a former DT myself playing in a 2 gap system I realize your talk. The biggest breakdown happens when DT runs around blocks or shoots a gap he is not supposed to and then the LBs get blocked and the play is a big one. People MUST always remember games are won and lost in the trenches.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Phlegm is offline Rookie

I'm glad to see someone else bleeds football, besides me.
    Obstacles are the things we see when we take our eyes off the goal.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Great post and good job breaking it down Del Rio!

*Thanks for the info on Defense and LB play that you sent me!

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

excellent post. thanks

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

Fantastic post,all you sais is true,But I always followed the pulling guard,LOL.
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

Del Rio Guest

I did too :grin: When I was supposed to. And sometimes when I wasn't lol!

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

LOL exactly,he isn,t leaving to go get a cup a gatoraid..
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

Del Rio Guest

In our particular defense on a weak side 6. I actually wasn't supposed to follow if the guard pulled because by staying I essentially took out 2 guys with one stone. And 90% of the time if the guard pulls it is a sweep or a toss, Something around the end. Our D was shifted strong side any way.

But if he pulled to the weakside that is a differnt story. It's crazy stuff. I love people who think football players have no intelligence. There is a lot of stuff to remember and learn.

I played some highschool football and I was an O-Guard and then switched to D-Tackle. Honestly, I think D-Tackle is the hardest position on the field. You have to be a freak to be a good one!

People often dismiss the play of O-lineman and even D-lineman sometimes because they are not the "glory" positions, but if you have ever played either one you will have much more respect for them thats for sure!

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast