Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

Defensive worries???

Tampa Bay 345 yards of total offense, is this reason to worry? lets break it down. Bwill lovers might like this one too.

this is the bucs qtr by qtr of how they did. i know there not a great offense, they ranked 16 last year in total but hear me out for a minute.

------ 1st qtr ------

1st Possession
    - 3 and out, ball starting on the TB 24, ends on the TB 30

2nd Possession
    - 5 and out, ball starting on the TB 12, ends on the TB 6

3rd Possession
    - 2 and out, ball starting on the MN 23, ends on a interception for a TD from MN 12

4th Possession
    - leads to a TD in the 2nd, we have them on a 3rd and 9 when bwill gives up a 14 yard pass for a 1st down to galloway. Cowart goes out for a stinger, davis gets burned for a TD.

-------- End of 1st -------

TB TOP about 10 minutes <- does this look like the D's fault?
    ----------------------------

1st Possession
    - 2 and out, intercepted by smoot. drive starts on the MN 49, ends on the MN 45

2nd Possession
    - leads to a TD, we have them on a 3rd and 9 when bwill misses a tackle and clayton gains 41 yards. TD on a pass into the endzone on zone coverage he just found a hole to sit down in, good play.

3rd Possession
    - leads to a FG, we have them to a 3rd and 6 when brown gets burned for 36 yards to the MN 29. Drive ends with a 41 yard FG.

----- End of Second ------
    TB TOP about 11 minutes
    -----------------------------

1st Possession
    - 5 and out, starts on TB 31, ends on TB 21

2nd Possession
    - 5 and out , starts on TB 26, ends on TB 29

----- End of Third -------
    TB TOP 6 min
    ---------------------------

1st Possession
    - 3 and out, starts TB 31, ends on TB 26

2nd Possession, starts TB 31, ends on TB 40
    - 3 and out

3rd Possession
    - Gave up a TD on an all out blitz on 3rd and 1. If they get one yard the game is over. Nice call on defense, we just got beat.

---- End of Game -----
    TB TOP about 4 min
    -------------------------

Judging by this, 14 points were direct results from bwill getting beat, 3 points were a result of brown being beat. overall our defense played good, but our offense just sucked huge. Did you notice that once our offense started to move the ball and eat up some time in the second half our defense started to stiffen.

Stat breakdown.

We held TB to 75 yards total rushing offense up till the last carry of the game where caddie got his TD.

TB averaged 2.5 ypc
    Caddy averaged 2.8 ypc with only 77 yards running not counting the last run.

Griese had 2 tds both happened when we had starters out. His stats look like this.

B. Griese 18/29 213 2 2 . Those are not great stats, Normally I look at it as a wash not really that great of stats. I would say they are good stats if he didnt have the 2 interceptions.

Our defense will be good this year, and is only going to get better. If you want to worry about something you should worry about our O, they just look plain old bad.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Defensive worries???

"smootpepper" wrote:
    Tampa Bay 345 yards of total offense, is this reason to worry? lets break it down. Bwill lovers might like this one too.

this is the bucs qtr by qtr of how they did. i know there not a great offense, they ranked 16 last year in total but hear me out for a minute.

------ 1st qtr ------

1st Possession
    - 3 and out, ball starting on the TB 24, ends on the TB 30

2nd Possession
    - 5 and out, ball starting on the TB 12, ends on the TB 6

3rd Possession
    - 2 and out, ball starting on the MN 23, ends on a interception for a TD from MN 12

4th Possession
    - leads to a TD in the 2nd, we have them on a 3rd and 9 when bwill gives up a 14 yard pass for a 1st down to galloway. Cowart goes out for a stinger, davis gets burned for a TD.

-------- End of 1st -------

TB TOP about 10 minutes <- does this look like the D's fault?
    ----------------------------

1st Possession
    - 2 and out, intercepted by smoot. drive starts on the MN 49, ends on the MN 45

2nd Possession
    - leads to a TD, we have them on a 3rd and 9 when bwill misses a tackle and clayton gains 41 yards. TD on a pass into the endzone on zone coverage he just found a hole to sit down in, good play.

3rd Possession
    - leads to a FG, we have them to a 3rd and 6 when brown gets burned for 36 yards to the MN 29. Drive ends with a 41 yard FG.

----- End of Second ------
    TB TOP about 11 minutes
    -----------------------------

1st Possession
    - 5 and out, starts on TB 31, ends on TB 21

2nd Possession
    - 5 and out , starts on TB 26, ends on TB 29

----- End of Third -------
    TB TOP 6 min
    ---------------------------

1st Possession
    - 3 and out, starts TB 31, ends on TB 26

2nd Possession, starts TB 31, ends on TB 40
    - 3 and out

3rd Possession
    - Gave up a TD on an all out blitz on 3rd and 1. If they get one yard the game is over. Nice call on defense, we just got beat.

---- End of Game -----
    TB TOP about 4 min
    -------------------------

Judging by this, 14 points were direct results from bwill getting beat, 3 points were a result of brown being beat. overall our defense played good, but our offense just sucked huge. Did you notice that once our offense started to move the ball and eat up some time in the second half our defense started to stiffen.

Stat breakdown.

We held TB to 75 yards total offense up till the last carry of the game where caddie got his TD.

TB averaged 2.5 ypc
    Caddy averaged 2.8 ypc with only 77 yards running not counting the last run.

Griese had 2 tds both happened when we had starters out. His stats look like this.

B. Griese 18/29 213 2 2 . Those are not great stats, Normally I look at it as a wash not really that great of stats. I would say they are good stats if he didnt have the 2 interceptions.

Our defense will be good this year, and is only going to get better. If you want to worry about something you should worry about our O, they just look plain old bad.
    Great post, I completely agree.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I don't think we should really worry about either. Both look as if they will play well against the Bengals (I hope). We just need our O-line to protect and Culpepper to get his head in the game.

Del Rio Guest

I don't think that game was a good indicator of how good our defense could be. They were out there an awful lot and fatigue sets in. That opens the door to big plays.

It's always better for the offense to control the ball, if your defense is out there 24/7 your hurting. They did a dang good job considering their play time. All I am saying is that if you are worried about the D at all I am sure they will get better when our offense can keep them off the field a bit. I know our TOP was around 30 minutes, but the lack of 3rd down conversions is not what our team has been about.

That being said something I found intriguing and stupid at the same time is the 3-3 defense that Cottrell called. It worked on one series but that is the equivelent to a trick play on offense, burn me once baby. Keep in mind the Bucs were about to score off a solid drive when Sharper intercepted the ball.

Pat Williams just like I thought he didn't have the stamina to go the distance. I was very surprised that when he was in there at first he was giving 100% I respect that. I think he will improve over the season if he stays healthy.

Didn't hear much out of Sam Cowart or Nap. I was hoping for a solid leader from the LB core. I didn't see any of that yesterday. I am guessing it is part of the gelling process.

I'd give the defense a solid B for game one. I think they can take it to the next level with more dependable play calling and more chemistry ignited by a solid leader at the LB position.

And I stand by my comments that Johnstone is the man, his technique is unparalleled the guy is an icon. His rips and swims should be put into a video and sold.

Was E. James hurt?

VegasLadyJae is offline Pro-Bowler

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I don't think we should really worry about either. Both look as if they will play well against the Bengals (I hope). We just need our O-line to protect and Culpepper to get his head in the game.
    Exactly.......Sometimes I think Culpepper and the Vikings on offense just aren't mean enough........Stop clapping your hands everytime you come on the field........Get in there and get mad at somebody.....Whoop A$$ mentality......

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I don't think that game was a good indicator of how good our defense could be. They were out there an awful lot and fatigue sets in. That opens the door to big plays.

It's always better for the offense to control the ball, if your defense is out there 24/7 your hurting. They did a dang good job considering their play time. All I am saying is that if you are worried about the D at all I am sure they will get better when our offense can keep them off the field a bit. I know our TOP was around 30 minutes, but the lack of 3rd down conversions is not what our team has been about.

That being said something I found intriguing and stupid at the same time is the 3-3 defense that Cottrell called. It worked on one series but that is the equivelent to a trick play on offense, burn me once baby. Keep in mind the Bucs were about to score off a solid drive when Sharper intercepted the ball.

Pat Williams just like I thought he didn't have the stamina to go the distance. I was very surprised that when he was in there at first he was giving 100% I respect that. I think he will improve over the season if he stays healthy.

Didn't hear much out of Sam Cowart or Nap. I was hoping for a solid leader from the LB core. I didn't see any of that yesterday. I am guessing it is part of the gelling process.

I'd give the defense a solid B for game one. I think they can take it to the next level with more dependable play calling and more chemistry ignited by a solid leader at the LB position.

And I stand by my comments that Johnstone is the man, his technique is unparalleled the guy is an icon. His rips and swims should be put into a video and sold.

Was E. James hurt?
    I dont think James was hurt, tice just had him as inactive for some dumb reason. I see lots of people asking this question and so far there is no answer to it.

BTW, that drive that sharper got his interception on was started at our 23 yard line, they gained 5 yards on 2nd down leaving a 3 and 5. They only had 2 plays on that drive when sharper took it to the house. 1 incomplete pass, and one for 5 yards, Not really what I would call a great drive. :smile:

pigskinronin is offline Starter

The defense played well, which is very commendable for how long they were out there. Something that stood out to me was team speed, something we have lacked on defense for awhile. We usually get killed on those sweeps and toss runs to the sideline. I was amazed by even watching Pat run a couple of those down!

Bengals are more of a threat on offense than the Bucs, our defense will be tested on the road. Pep and the offense will spend more time on the field --- looking forward to seeing them get on track!

Del Rio Guest

"smootpepper" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Was E. James hurt?
    I dont think James was hurt, tice just had him as inactive for some dumb reason. I see lots of people asking this question and so far there is no answer to it.

BTW, that drive that sharper got his interception on was started at our 23 yard line, they gained 5 yards on 2nd down leaving a 3 and 5. They only had 2 plays on that drive when sharper took it to the house. 1 incomplete pass, and one for 5 yards, Not really what I would call a great drive. :smile:
    Your right I am mistaken. It was recovered on the 41 and run back 18 yards before the drive even started. I must have been mixing it up in my head due to the total lack of first downs by our offense all the short drives by them seem like one big long one.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Let's not forget to mention over coverage by the secondary. Winfield did the usual, gave up a few shorter passes, but made the tackle immediately, only allowing like 5 or so yards on the catches. Smoot i don't think was ever thrown at, unless you call that horrible pass that smoot intercepted. He blanketed his guy all day long, even with fighting through cramping all game long. B-will made some mistakes, which seems to be the norm with him, and Tice proceeded to move ralph brown into the nickel spot, only to have him get beat deep. I thought both brown and B-will settled down though and finished strongly after their mistakes.

The biggest suprise to me was Sharper. He played like a madman out there yesterday. I have never seen him hit and tackle like that before. he looks extremely motivated with the move from GB. Look for a huge year from him, as long as our CB's stay healthy and he is allowed to roam free in center field.

We have nothing to worry about our defense will be fine and our offense will get going.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast