Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Defensive Depth Chart, Comments

I'm holding on to the hope that our new coaching staff can help out E.J. and D.T., to become what they appeared to be when we drafted them....see Hovan for a good example....good coaching does wonders.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

LB core on paper is "weak". LB core after they learn from a GOOD DC. "Supreme".

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

sirweeze is offline Starter

Anyone else get kind of irritated when reading that Ray Edwards "will have to fight for a roster spot"? Why DRAFT the guy then?

slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

sirweeze I agree....imagine if none of the second round choices deserve a spot....think they will cut them? i dont think so, political fallout you see

howkings is offline Rookie

"sirweeze" wrote:
    Anyone else get kind of irritated when reading that Ray Edwards "will have to fight for a roster spot"? Why DRAFT the guy then?
    Players picked on the second day of the draft usually have to fight for a roster spot. Many times they get put on the practice squad and some will be cut. I believe our seventh round pick last year (Adrian Ward) was cut before the season started last year.

"howkings" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:
    Players picked on the second day of the draft usually have to fight for a roster spot. Many times they get put on the practice squad and some will be cut. I believe our seventh round pick last year (Adrian Ward) was cut before the season started last year.
    Seventh round is one thing, but I just don't get why Edwards was drafted at all, let alone as high as he was. Our D-line is loaded, and he apparently has mental discipline problems and taking plays off, etc. Why bother?

I agree with most others in this thread, however. I'm excited about this defense, excited to see what Leber and Greenway can do, excited to perhaps finally see Winfield make the Pro Bowl.

"sirweeze" wrote:
    "howkings" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:
    Seventh round is one thing, but I just don't get why Edwards was drafted at all, let alone as high as he was. Our D-line is loaded, and he apparently has mental discipline problems and taking plays off, etc. Why bother?

I agree with most others in this thread, however. I'm excited about this defense, excited to see what Leber and Greenway can do, excited to perhaps finally see Winfield make the Pro Bowl.
    He definately became a head case his junior season in college. They drafted him on his potential which is always a risk. I think they need depth on the D-line since Udeze always seems to be hurt.

"howkings" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:
    "howkings" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:

He definately became a head case his junior season in college. They drafted him on his potential which is always a risk. I think they need depth on the D-line since Udeze always seems to be hurt.
    The pick really seems like one of those old Denny Green ego picks (i.e. Dimitrius Underwood), where he'll draft someone with character/motivation issues, and say "I'LL turn him around and I'll look like a GENIUS." Tigers don't change their stripes.

Not only is there that lingering with this guy, but he was a reach to boot.

"sirweeze" wrote:
    "howkings" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:
    "howkings" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:

The pick really seems like one of those old Denny Green ego picks (i.e. Dimitrius Underwood), where he'll draft someone with character/motivation issues, and say "I'LL turn him around and I'll look like a GENIUS." Tigers don't change their stripes.

Not only is there that lingering with this guy, but he was a reach to boot.
    I agree with you that most coaches think they can change players which is rarely the case. On talent this guy was actually rated higher than Manny Lawson and Kamerion Wimbley (who were both drafted in the first round) in the ESPN Draft Guide.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

hopefully it doesnt take 1/2 the season for our defense to click again this year

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast