Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Defensive Depth Chart, Comments

Defensive Depth Chart, Comments

Date: May 13, 2006

The defensive depth chart is expected to switch this weekend with the arrival of the rookies. We take a look at how it looked in April's minicamp and explain the changes that could take place throughout the summer as the rookies gain more experience and confidence.

VIKINGS DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART
    Pos. First Team Second Team Third Team
    LDE: 95-Kenechi Udeze 98-Darrion Scott 91-Ray Edwards
    Comments: Udeze looked like he was holding back nothing in April's minicamp, and the Vikings have an influx of talent to back him up should he regress from his impressive recovery from microfracture surgery. Undrafted rookie Jayme Mitchell will be fighting for a spot on the practice squad.
    DT: 93-Kevin Williams 97-Spencer Johnson 96-C.J. Mosley
    Comments: Eventually, the Vikings will have to whittle down their defensive tackles, but for their summer camps they have a nice rotation of the obvious starters in Kevin and Pat Williams and solid backups in Spencer Johnson and C.J. Mosley.
    DT: 94-Pat Williams 96-C.J. Mosley 90-Eric Taylor
    Comments: With strong depth at both end and tackle, Taylor was rotating inside and outside. Undrafted rookie Hopoi Manase might be fighting for a practice squad spot.
    RDE: 99-Erasmus James 92-DeQuincy Scott 91-Ray Edwards
    Comments: This could be the year that the Vikings' defensive line all comes together, with solid, young players and strong coaching. Edwards might have to beat out one of the Scotts for a roster spot, which means showing no signs of poor work habits.
    OLB: 56-E.J. Henderson 52-Chad Greenway 54-Dontarrious Thomas
    Comments: E.J. Henderson is expected to take a good number of reps at middle linebacker this weekend so the Vikings can get a good look at the rookie Greenway on the weak side. Kyle McKenize, an undrafted rookie from the University of Minnesota, offers depth.
    MLB: 54-Dontarrious Thomas 58-Napoleon Harris 50-Rod Davis
    Comments: This is how it looked in the first minicamp, but Henderson could end up being the starting middle linebacker if Greenway looks sharp on the weak side. Either way, Thomas, Harris and Davis probably are in a battle for one or two roster spots between them.
    OLB: 51-Ben Leber 50-Rod Davis 59-Heath Farwell
    Comments: All along, we've been told Leber is best suited on the strong side, but the coaches still want all of the linebackers to know all three positions.
    CB: 26-Antoine Winfield 36-Dovonte Edwards 37-Dustin Fox
    Comments: Winfield's spot is probably the only starting one that is guaranteed among the cornerbacks. Edwards worked outside in the first nickel defense in April, with Winfield sliding inside in nickel. Undrafted rookie Charles Gordon should push for a roster spot on the 53-man rostedr or practice squad.
    FS: 42-Darren Sharper 31-Will Hunter 28-Laroni Gallishaw
    Comments: With more depth at cornerback this year, Gallishaw, an undrafted rookie who made the team in 2005, saw some time at safety in April's camp. He'll have to adapt quickly if he wants a roster spot again this September.
    SS: 25-Tank Williams 24-Willie Offord 20-Greg Blue
    Comments: Willie Offord didn't see any full-team work in April while still recovering from last year's ACL surgery. Williams is the likely starter, but Offord could push him once healthy.
    CB: 21-Fred Smoot 23-Cedric Griffin 48-Ukee Dozier
    Comments: Smoot is hoping to rebound from a lackluster first year with the Vikings, but if he doesn't Griffin could be a close second if he impresses the coaches in this camp and throughout the summer. Marvin Ward, R.J. Cobbs also offers depth, and Ronyell Whitaker is in NFL Europe.

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

Re: Defensive Depth Chart, Comments

Hopefully these guys can keep the oppenets points down.

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    Hopefully these guys can keep the oppenets points down.

No kidding.. You look at that lineup, and it looks awesome. Look at that backfield.. Winfield, Smoot, Sharper, Williams, and probably Griffin as the NB.. Wow, that is pretty impressive right there.. Along with our D-Line, and LB's... I don't want to get to confident, but man that looks good..

kyleo1967 is offline Starter

That's incredible depth! Injury won't be an excuse for that unit.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

The Vikings, and good defense..when was the last time those 2 words went together.
    Not since Dungy left.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

i'm a little surprised that DT is starting mike. but i guess thats a good thing, because that means he outplayed EJ for the spot. i'm sure there will be lots of different rotations at LB this year. i expect greenway and harris to get alot of reps as well this season.

overall i'm excited about this defense, even more than last year. but realisticially, i don't think they'll be a strong solid untill about week 4 or 5.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    i'm a little surprised that DT is starting mike. but i guess thats a good thing, because that means he outplayed EJ for the spot. i'm sure there will be lots of different rotations at LB this year. i expect greenway and harris to get alot of reps as well this season.

overall i'm excited about this defense, even more than last year. but realisticially, i don't think they'll be a strong solid untill about week 4 or 5.

I believe this list is one that was made up in April's mini camp.. I don't think this lineup is etched in stone just yet.. Some of the positions are given, but some may be up for grabs.. I would say by next Monday, we will have a better understanding on who will play where..

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

i like it but we need greenway to start

howkings is offline Rookie

It will be interesting to see how quickly they pick up the "Tampa 2". I think they definately have the talent to be a good defense.

"howkings" wrote:
    It will be interesting to see how quickly they pick up the "Tampa 2". I think they definately have the talent to be a good defense.

Sounds as if they are picking it up pretty quickly... With Tomlin there leading the way, they said he has to change his shirts a couple times before lunch break because he is sweating so much from being inside the plays.. They said he lines up as the QB in most plays.. He is a hands on type of coach which is exactly what the Vikings need.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast