Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JLDII is offline Rookie

Defensive Depth??

"alberta_vike" wrote:
    Alot of the backups will be starters from last season it seems like. Brian Williams, Russell, Spencer Johnson, Mixon, Henderson or Thomas maybe. All of those guys provide pretty solid depth. Plus other players like Johnstone, Steve Martin, Irvin, Offord and Nattiel are all, at worst, decent backups.
    In theory, thats true, but remember, we were a 28th ranked defense last year also! PWill is my biggest concern. I'm not saying he's injury prone or anything like that, what I'm worried about is if he goes down, our front 4 won't be nearly the same. His absence will take away from the play making opportunities of the rest of the line. If Cowart were to get dinged up and miss a game at the same time PWill was down, well it might make for a long game.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide into it broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming at the top of your lungs......
    "WOW, What a ride!"

chennegar is offline Rookie

Defensive Depth??

In this game injuries are going to happen. Last year the offense had the injury bug, hopefully this year we stay relatively healthy. That being said, I think our depth is fine. I think the biggest area of concern is LB. Both of the additions have had a history of missing games due to injuries. So at least all of our linebackers have played an NFL game and have seen the speed of the game and have been under Cotrell for a year. Additionally, I think another thing that is going to help the "d" over the past couple years is this is the first time in a long time that we are having our D coordinator for more than a season at a time. EJ is a great player, but think how confusing it is to have to learn one system your rookie year then turn around the next year and have to learn something totally different. I know some are going to say, well they get paid to learn it and EJ probably could have done better at hitting the books, but sometimes you just need to actually do it to learn it.

alberta_vike is offline Starter

Defensive Depth??

In theory, thats true, but remember, we were a 28th ranked defense last year also! PWill is my biggest concern. I'm not saying he's injury prone or anything like that, what I'm worried about is if he goes down, our front 4 won't be nearly the same. His absence will take away from the play making opportunities of the rest of the line. If Cowart were to get dinged up and miss a game at the same time PWill was down, well it might make for a long game.
    Maybe they were not the best defensive unit out there, but at least a lot of these players have a reasonable amount of game experience. If a player goes down, we most likely won't have to put in some unproven rookie or a player who's only played special teams his whole career. I am a little concerned about Williams as well. However, I really like our depth at DT. Spencer Johnson just always seemed a way to make some plays when he was out there, and Steve Martin seems like he can play well when he used on a limited basis. Also, if Cowart were to get hurt, the starting linebackers would be Henderson, Harris, and Thomas. Up until a few days ago I thought those were the starting LB's, and I was OK with that.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Defensive Depth??

i don't see us having any real depth problems now that we added cowart to the LB's. our secondary is as deep as any NFL team could ever be.

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Defensive Depth??

I agree, great thread JLDII. When I first read that, it kinda gave me a start. After thinking about it, and reading the posts, I feel pretty good going into the season. If the worst happens, we are still better than last year. What a great way to start the season.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

Defensive Depth??

p will and cowart going down at the same time would be a nightmare, we would basically be the same front seven as last year plus NH... but i like the idea of williams playin 1st and 2nd down and spencer comin in for third down, he is exceptional at getting off blocks, some say even better than kwill.

eelpout72 is offline Starter

Defensive Depth??

We will also have more depth after the draft. Our defensive depth is as good as i can remember.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Defensive Depth??

"thepacksux" wrote:
    p will and cowart going down at the same time would be a nightmare, we would basically be the same front seven as last year plus NH... but i like the idea of williams playin 1st and 2nd down and spencer comin in for third down, he is exceptional at getting off blocks, some say even better than kwill.
    Let's not even think about that scenario...we don't wanna jinx anything for next season!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

Defensive Depth??

As far as I can see,currently the only position we could be in trouble with an injury or two would be wide reciever.we are still pretty thin there.. :salute:
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12