Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Defenses will 'stack the box' against us all year

My worst fear is increasingly coming true: lack of a threatening passing game to open up the field, will allow opposing defenses to "stack the box" by bringing safeties in for run support, into the "box" (the area right behind the defensive line). AP and Chester will be running into a box set up to beat the run. I hope I am wrong about this, but I increasingly fear it.

I still think the running backs can have good years, even if this does happen. I mean, Thomas Jones for the Bears had good years even when defenses stacked the box, and I think Adrian Peterson is going to be better than Jones.

But just be prepared to see this a lot this year.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Defenses will 'stack the box' against us all year

"StillPurple" wrote:
    My worst fear is increasingly coming true: lack of a threatening passing game to open up the field, will allow opposing defenses to "stack the box" by bringing safeties in for run support, into the "box" (the area right behind the defensive line). AP and Chester will be running into a box set up to beat the run. I hope I am wrong about this, but I increasingly fear it.

I still think the running backs can have good years, even if this does happen. I mean, Thomas Jones for the Bears had good years even when defenses stacked the box, and I think Adrian Peterson is going to be better than Jones.

I'm prepared to see all sorts of things a lot this year, none of which will be determined by a few meaningless quarters of vanilla pre-season football.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

I asm not worried. I just hope that the PA passing game is gonna hurt teams that do that

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"StillPurple" wrote:

Enlighten me my friend.
    What is your justification????

The long run the AD against the Jets?

Consistent yards gained by CT and AD against the Seahawks?
    Nice gains by B-wade against the Seahawks?

Seems (I'm not pulling the stats sheets up again today you look) our production is pretty good considering the number of plays (somewhat limited) our starters have had so far.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

duvaldomo is offline Coach

Yes we will see alot of that this year. However I think we will play action alot this year and I am hoping to see more trick plays like when wade threw to shinicoe. By week 8 I think teams will stop sleeping on our passing game.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Enlighten me my friend.

Seems (I'm not pulling the stats sheets up again today you look) our production is pretty good considering the number of plays (somewhat limited) our starters have had so far.
    I can see his point.
    Our passing game isn't threatening, but our running game is probably making teams take another look.
    I would stack the box against Jackson and MAKE him beat me in the air...especially since we haven't got anyone on our roster who - at this point -has proven that they can.

And while our Offense has moved the ball well at times, their lack of TD's is a bit...concerning.
    With the regular season only weeks away, I guess I expected to see some kind of ability to score appear - especially since we're facing bare-bones defenses at this point.

Caine

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

"StillPurple" wrote:

i dont know what ur talking about.From what i saw from jackson i encourage stacking the box.he made some nice throws like that 35 yard outto wade when he pump faked,and the 23 yarder that he zipped over the head of the corner in in front of the safety.Perfect pass!The vikes offense had 221 yards of offense at the half.....i think thats more than we ever had all last year

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"StillPurple" wrote:

LMAO.
    Gee, thanks for defining what you mean by "stacking the box".
    We aren't Packer fans, we know what it means.

If they stack the box, it will be for short pass defense as well as run support.
    Especially when the majority of our good plays have been short timed passing routes...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

I kind of hope they do, it will take a lot of pressure off of the kid.
    I really think the wide outs might make a few more plays then some might expect.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Enlighten me my friend.

I can see his point.
    Our passing game isn't threatening, but our running game is probably making teams take another look.
    I would stack the box against Jackson and MAKE him beat me in the air...especially since we haven't got anyone on our roster who - at this point -has proven that they can.

And while our Offense has moved the ball well at times, their lack of TD's is a bit...concerning.
    With the regular season only weeks away, I guess I expected to see some kind of ability to score appear - especially since we're facing bare-bones defenses at this point.

Caine
    I look at it from another perspective.

With a young QB in the backfield teams will tend to blitz more than say stacking the box against the run.
    I wish I would have paid more attention to the Seahawks games so I could attest to this however, my feeling is that it is pretty hard to a) stack the box, b) Blitz the QB and c) stop the pass.
    Somehow someone will get open.

What I can do is take a look at what the starters did in the Seahawks the series and see that our offense was not consistent with either the run or pass but mixed it up pretty well and were still pretty effective with both the run and the pass.

3-J.Brown kicks 70 yards from SEA 30 to end zone, Touchback.

1-10-MIN 20
    (13:30) 29-C.Taylor left tackle to MIN 22 for 2 yards (97-P.Kerney).

2-8-MIN 22
    (12:56) 29-C.Taylor left end to MIN 26 for 4 yards (91-C.Darby).

3-4-MIN 26
    (12:20) PENALTY on MIN-62-R.Cook, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 26 - No Play.

3-9-MIN 21
    (12:01) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 18-S.Rice to MIN 29 for 8 yards (23-M.Trufant).

4-1-MIN 29
    (11:21) 5-C.Kluwe punts 59 yards to SEA 12, Center-46-C.Loeffler. 81-N.Burleson to MIN 35 for 53 yards (30-M.Moore
    Run, Run, Pass

Next Series.
    3-J.Brown kicks 70 yards from SEA 30 to MIN 0. 14-A.Allison to MIN 28 for 28 yards (39-C.Wallace).

1-10-MIN 28
    (8:53) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 19-B.Wade to MIN 37 for 9 yards (23-M.Trufant).

2-1-MIN 37
    (8:20) 28-A.Peterson right tackle to MIN 37 for no gain (99-R.Bernard).

3-1-MIN 37
    (7:42) 28-A.Peterson left end to MIN 40 for 3 yards (57-K.Bentley).

1-10-MIN 40
    (7:06) PENALTY on MIN-62-R.Cook, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 40 - No Play.

1-15-MIN 35
    (6:42) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 19-B.Wade to MIN 48 for 13 yards (57-K.Bentley).

2-2-MIN 48
    (6:05) 28-A.Peterson right tackle to SEA 49 for 3 yards (57-K.Bentley).

1-10-SEA 49
    (5:26) 28-A.Peterson up the middle to SEA 45 for 4 yards (23-M.Trufant, 97-P.Kerney).

2-6-SEA 45
    (4:45) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass deep left to 19-B.Wade to SEA 22 for 23 yards (24-D.Grant).

1-10-SEA 22
    (4:10) 29-C.Taylor left end to SEA 21 for 1 yard (97-P.Kerney).

2-9-SEA 21
    (3:32) 28-A.Peterson up the middle to SEA 15 for 6 yards (24-D.Grant).

3-3-SEA 15
    (2:54) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short left to 81-V.Shiancoe. PENALTY on SEA-57-K.Bentley, Defensive Pass Interference, 1 yard, enforced at SEA 15 - No Play.

1-10-SEA 14
    (2:50) 28-A.Peterson up the middle to SEA 19 for -5 yards (99-R.Bernard).

2-15-SEA 19
    (2:11) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short left to 85-R.Ferguson [91-C.Darby].

3-15-SEA 19
    (2:07) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short right to 18-S.Rice [26-J.Wilson].

4-15-SEA 19
    (2:04) 8-R.Longwell 37 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Right, Center-46-C.Loeffler, Holder-5-C.Kluwe.

P,R,R,P,R,R,P,R,R,R,P(I),P(I).

Next series
    1-10-MIN 22
    (12:51) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short right to 81-V.Shiancoe [57-K.Bentley].

2-10-MIN 22
    (12:46) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 19-B.Wade pushed ob at MIN 27 for 5 yards (23-M.Trufant).

3-5-MIN 27
    (12:24) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 18-S.Rice to MIN 31 for 4 yards (23-M.Trufant) [57-K.Bentley].

P,P,P,

Next Series
    1-10-SEA 43
    (9:37) 7-T.Jackson pass deep left to 19-B.Wade ran ob at SEA 8 for 35 yards.

1-8-SEA 8
    (9:15) 28-A.Peterson left guard to SEA 6 for 2 yards (24-D.Grant).

2-6-SEA 6
    (8:39) 19-B.Wade pass short right to 81-V.Shiancoe for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Wade took handoff from QB.

8-R.Longwell extra point is GOOD, Center-46-C.Loeffler, Holder-5-C.Kluwe.

P,R,P(Trick Play)
    ;D

Next Series
    1-10-MIN 26
    (3:23) 29-C.Taylor left tackle to MIN 35 for 9 yards (57-K.Bentley).

2-1-MIN 35
    (2:49) 29-C.Taylor left end pushed ob at MIN 49 for 14 yards (25-B.Russell).

1-10-MIN 49
    (2:20) 7-T.Jackson pass short left to 85-R.Ferguson to SEA 40 for 11 yards (21-K.Jennings).

Two-Minute Warning

1-10-SEA 40
    (2:00) 7-T.Jackson pass deep right to 19-B.Wade to SEA 6 for 34 yards (23-M.Trufant). The Replay Assistant challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was REVERSED. 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete deep right to 19-B.Wade (23-M.Trufant).

2-10-SEA 40
    (1:54) 29-C.Taylor left guard to SEA 38 for 2 yards (91-C.Darby).

3-8-SEA 38
    (1:20) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass short right to 18-S.Rice to SEA 29 for 9 yards (23-M.Trufant).

1-10-SEA 29
    (:53) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short left to 19-B.Wade.

2-10-SEA 29
    (:50) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete deep left to 18-S.Rice (23-M.Trufant).

Timeout #2 by MIN at 00:43.

3-10-SEA 29
    (:43) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete deep left to 19-B.Wade (26-J.Wilson) [25-B.Russell].

4-10-SEA 29
    (:38) 8-R.Longwell 47 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-46-C.Loeffler, Holder-5-C.Kluwe.

R,R,P,P,R,P,P(I),P(I),P(I),FG

You hit the nail on the head Caine, if we would have scored a TD through the air (via a QB pass) things would look a heck of alot better and we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.
    ;D

Ever the optimist,,,,,,, I believe they (TD's) will come.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast