Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vking is offline Training Camp

this defense needs at least one more year....

Thanks for the warm welcome cajunvike :wink: but I realy don't believe we'll be SB bound next year.

We lack way to much on D. Harkin back to our 15 and 1 year, what kept us out was the D. And that D was better than ours will be next year.

Even if somehow we got there, do you think our D would be in the same league as NewEnglands or Tampas when they one it all? Hate to tell it like it is but thats pretty much what it takes to win it all. You have to be agressive and we havn't had that since about 91'. And the reason being is simply the talent isn't there.

Don't get me wrong I love the Vikes but thanks to a friend that doesn't view the Vikes through the rose colored glasses we do, I've finally given into fact, the fact that we just don't cut it on D. Really, how many years has it been since we've known we needed improvement? After watching the last 3 games can you really say we're better?

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

the D line is what needs to be tweaked the most, hovans' play is declining and the pass rush is non-existent. it all starts up front. get some pressure on the qb or its long completions, and then long runs when the D gets tired on the field. the pass rush is the most effective way to make the qb make mistakes. one of the know-it-all announcers said that they do not play physical enough to carry them through. not to knock them, but it is true to an extent. they need to play with more emotion and definitely with more of a mean streak.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"vking" wrote:
    Thanks for the warm welcome cajunvike :wink: but I realy don't believe we'll be SB bound next year.

We lack way to much on D. Harkin back to our 15 and 1 year, what kept us out was the D. And that D was better than ours will be next year.

Even if somehow we got there, do you think our D would be in the same league as NewEnglands or Tampas when they one it all? Hate to tell it like it is but thats pretty much what it takes to win it all. You have to be agressive and we havn't had that since about 91'. And the reason being is simply the talent isn't there.

Don't get me wrong I love the Vikes but thanks to a friend that doesn't view the Vikes through the rose colored glasses we do, I've finally given into fact, the fact that we just don't cut it on D. Really, how many years has it been since we've known we needed improvement? After watching the last 3 games can you really say we're better?
    Look at the defense, position by position...objectively...you will see that we have many very talented players to build upon...you will also see that most of those players are very young and inexperienced. Fast forward to a year from now...two stud FA pickups, at CB and LB...a stud 1st round DT (to replace Hovan and be the run stuffer), another DL in the second, an LB in the third and a defensive steal in the fourth round (we are getting good at picking those fourth round gems)...some OL depth in the late rounds. The D is alot closer than you think to being very good...it just needs a few players to glue it together and then watch out.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

I think I said this a long long time ago. You did bring in a lot of talent this summer, but a defense needs time to gel, know where each other will be in coverage.

Give it time. I don't see the Packers gelling anytime soon. Of course, you guys have enough high-round draft picks on that defense, they SHOULD gel sometime!
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"vking" wrote:

Can you imagine what the Panther fans where saying the year before they went to the big dance. 2-14 or something then they are in the playoffs :scratch: NEVER SAY NEVER Buddy!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"vking" wrote:

Our d wasn't great that year but:

Please don't bring up the D on the 15-1 season. Against Atlanta, our D-was about 75% if that. The injuries just caught up with us. Randal was injured. He had the 100 yr old Talley in the game. The LBs were hurt. We probably wouldn't have been able to get healthy for the SuperBowl anyway. It wasn't pretty..

That game came down to a missed kick with our D totally decimated.

We won 15 games with that D when healthy.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Looking at this D on paper during preseason, I thought, "DAMN!!! We should SMOKE".

Well....hasn't happened that way.

I believe that it has to start up front (As several others have mentioned). Hovan isn't anywhere near the impact player he was 2 years ago. in fact, he's all but dropped off the radar. As much as I loved his intensity two years ago, it wouldn't suprise me if he wasn't on the roster next season.

We need John Randall reincarnated. We need an animal that will be able to wreak havok. Mixon (15 tackles, 8 assists and 1.5 sacks) and Hovan(10 tackles, 7 assists and 1.5 sacks) aren't pulling their weight, and Udeze(16 tackles, 3 assists and 3 sacks) is a Rookie.

Without that front four kicking butt, the LB's and DB's are left with too much time to try and cover. Hells bells, I could get open against them with the time our D-line gives opposing QBs.

That's really all we need.

oh, and a new kicker...

and a new punter...

and a new stadium (NOT a Dome)...with GRASS, not turf...

and an owner who isn't a jack-ass...

But that's it.

I think...

Caine

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    Looking at this D on paper during preseason, I thought, "DAMN!!! We should SMOKE".

Well....hasn't happened that way.

I believe that it has to start up front (As several others have mentioned). Hovan isn't anywhere near the impact player he was 2 years ago. in fact, he's all but dropped off the radar. As much as I loved his intensity two years ago, it wouldn't suprise me if he wasn't on the roster next season.

We need John Randall reincarnated. We need an animal that will be able to wreak havok. Mixon (15 tackles, 8 assists and 1.5 sacks) and Hovan(10 tackles, 7 assists and 1.5 sacks) aren't pulling their weight, and Udeze(16 tackles, 3 assists and 3 sacks) is a Rookie.

Without that front four kicking butt, the LB's and DB's are left with too much time to try and cover. Hells bells, I could get open against them with the time our D-line gives opposing QBs.

That's really all we need.

oh, and a new kicker...

and a new punter...

and a new stadium (NOT a Dome)...with GRASS, not turf...

and an owner who isn't a jack-ass...

But that's it.

I think...

Caine
    Not a bad assessment, Caine...once again proving that you are Abel!
    You just might make it here at Purplepride. :thumbleft:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Look for the defense to make huge strides this week. 1). Cottrell just simplified the defense to take away any hesitency from his young LB's (particularly EJ Henderson). 2). We're playing the Lions offense :lol: Granted they're not great, but having an effective game can do a lot to build confidence.

Claiborne's right, a 10 point vicory. Vikes 24, Lions 14.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Tice may not see our new defense....?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12