singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Defense making a 'good start'

Posted on Sun, Aug. 06, 2006

[size=18px]Defense making a 'good start'[/size]

Tomlin optimistic after practice with Chiefs

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — So far, so good.

That was defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin's review of his unit's performance in Friday night's combined practice against the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I thought they were solid," Tomlin said Saturday morning. "Probably what you would expect from a first performance in that there were some good things, and there were some things that we need to clean up. But all in all, it was a good start."

Starting with the good, Tomlin said: "I continue to think E.J. Henderson is doing some good things (at weak-side linebacker). Kenechi Udeze is playing well (at defensive end). There were a bunch of guys that showed flashes."

As for the not-so-good, Tomlin mentioned getting lined up more quickly and formation adjustments as areas that need improvement.

"You could always hustle harder," he added. "I'll stand in front of you every week and say that. It's true. We have to play extremely fast. We'd like to turn the volume up in that regard. Some attention-to-detail things that may only get addressed if we practice. That's why you have training camp."

Williams watch: Defensive tackle Pat Williams isn't practicing or talking to the media while on the physically unable to perform list, but he has kept an open line of communication with the coaches.

Coach Brad Childress said Friday night that he had a long conversation that day with Williams, and Tomlin said he and the 10th-year veteran have been talking regularly.

"Daily," Tomlin said. "Mentally, he is ready to rock and roll."

Williams was placed on the PUP list the first day of training camp after reporting overweight and failing the team's conditioning test, but Childress indicated Friday night that Williams could return soon.

Roster move: The Vikings released wide receiver Dez White and signed former Tennessee Titans cornerback Tony Beckham.

Beckham played in 50 games in four seasons with the Titans and gives the Vikings added depth at cornerback, with rookie Charles Gordon expected to miss the rest of the preseason because of a knee injury.

Briefly: Punter Chris Kluwe reported no soreness or swelling in his surgically repaired right knee the morning after his impressive kicking performance against the Chiefs.

• Receiver Marcus Robinson is expected to return to Mankato tonight after being excused from Saturday's practices because of a death in his family.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Defense making a 'good start'

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Defense making a 'good start'

Thanks Singer, really hope that Defense pulls together and becomes a monster force... Really think those 2nd and 3rd year LB's are gonna come into their own. Chad should be a starter right away, and barring any more injuries (Tank) we will be fun to watch.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Encouraging stuff to read. I think Tomlin is a real "straight shooter" with his assessments. And I like the way the coaches are keeping communications open with Pat Williams. If Tice was in this situation he would have ignored him, I think. Of course Tice would have never demanded he get in shape. He would have been out drinking beers with Pat.
    I believe this defense has a good season in front of it. The only worry still seems to be the LB corps but if that comes around I think we will be one of the top 5 defenses in the league.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks singers for tha read.. It is always nice to read something encouraging from our team..

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

look at it this way, how many offenses this early in the year are in high gear?? I should hope the defense looked good..wtf, then again whats he gonna say "we looked like $hit"? Is this the same guy a few months ago that said are LB's are good? lol I'll wait a few games and then decide what we look like.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

good post singer, can't wait to see the defence hit people that arn't wearing purple and gold.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

PURPLERAINMAN is offline Waterboy

I THINK US VIKINGS FANS ARE IN FOR A REAL TREAT THIS YEAR, ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL... I CAN'T WAIT!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

DEEEEE-FENSE!!!!! Yeah...back to the old Black and Blue Division days!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"PURPLERAINMAN" wrote:
    I THINK US VIKINGS FANS ARE IN FOR A REAL TREAT THIS YEAR, ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL... I CAN'T WAIT!!!
    Welcome, fellow Caps fan!

http://www.washingtoncaps.com/index2.html

:lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE