Thread: Defense

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Defense

As most people realize this team has never fully recovered from losing Tony Dungy as our DC, and that was 10 years ago. Dungy turned the Vikings into one of the best defenses in the NFL. In his first year we had 42 total takeaways. The next year if I remember correctly we were at the top of the league in total defense. They sacked, they picked, they pressured, they blitzed, they covered, and most importantly, they TACKLED.

Dungy was a brilliant defensive mind, but it occurs to me that although he developed some of those players, our defense already had talent that had played with the Vikings for several years before his arrival. We had Doleman, we had Henry Thomas, we had Carl Lee, John Randle, Audray McMillian, and Mike Merriweather...all were Pro Bowlers before Dungy was hired. Dungy's first year, we drafted Ed McDaniel, and added Jack Del Rio a veteran from the Cowboys. Todd Scott was also in his second year.
    Dungy had a total of 5 new starters, but he had a lot to work with when he first came.

What did Cottrell have in his first year? In the secondary he had one pro bowler, Corey Chavous. He was able to bring in Antoine Winfield. On the line he had rookie sensation Kevin Williams as well as Keith Newman, who was also playing well but was no Pro Bowler. Other than that he had a bunch of rookies and second year players in the front 7 as well as injured Claiborne and struggling Hovan. In the secondary he had almost no depth especially at safety. Most of our defensive talent was added this year, and much of it has been injured so far.

I guess my point here is that I'm not so quick to give up on Cottrell despite our questionable defense. Tice I'm convinced needs to go, but Cottrell is just now getting his defense together and has had problems keeping it healthy. Some of these guys, like Winfield, Cowart, and Pat Williams came to Minnesota partly because they had worked with Cottrell before and believed him to be a great coach.

A lot of people were angry at Cottrell because they felt he wasn't blitzing enough, or pressuring Vick or Palmer enough, or calling the right coverages, or whatever. That's true...Cottrell is keeping the defense simple, and by all accounts from Viking Land, the reason he is doing that is because the younger players are really struggling and having a hard time with more complicated schemes that you might see out of New England or Baltimore. So if you don't feel Cottrell is making this defense confusing for the opponent, you're right, because it's too confusing even for some of our own players right now. Even the veterans like Cowart and Smoot admit this.

SO have patience, give the defense time. It will develop into an outstanding unit, and I really believe Cottrell is the guy to mold it. Things will get better down the road.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Defense

My biggest surprise is this, I am surprised that we are not lambasting the D in more thread. Not that they deserve it. I am just saying, how a make over in an attempt to make the D better, has really changed our perception of the D.

You add names and you complain less and start blaming the coaches for not getting them to play.

We really don't know if the D is all that good or if it is all that bad because our O has left them high and dry too many times to fairly evaluate the D.

I agree with sdvikesfan, I am not giving up on Cottrell yet. The guy has had nothing but injuries the whole time he has been here and this year, the O is not pulling its weight.

Tice knew coming into the season that they needed to have more ball control and it still hasn't materialized.

I've really never had a problem with Ted Cottrell before. He has done the best job he could with the talent he has had. We need to give a defensive coordinator more than just a season or two to make this defense solid once again. I think Ted Cottrell can do this, it just takes time...... and a little bit of help from the offense and special teams.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

blah blah blah blah 10 years.
    The Vikings are FINE. Stop crying about DG being gone. 10 years what the HELL is that 10 years ago blah blah blah. You sound like the 49ers and DCowboys FAN. We were the team to beat in 90's.

Stop whinning and start supporting the TEAM we have NOW.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

"Vikes" wrote:
    The Vikings are FINE. Stop crying about DG being gone. 10 years what the HELL is that 10 years ago blah blah blah. You sound like the 49ers and DCowboys FAN. We were the team to beat in 90's.

Did you even read the whole post, you idiot? The whole point was to say that Cottrell had much less to work with than Dungy, and many more injuries to deal with on top of it. I was saying we shouldn't be calling for Cottrell's head, which IS supporting the team we have now and wait for the unit to come together.

Go back to high school, assuming you aren't there already, and take reading comprehension again.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Tice needs to go and we bring in a DC for our head coach removing TC...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"Vikes" wrote:

Lmao! What, exactly, are you doing to "support" our team?